hand/footbrake

Number_Cruncher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 E300D TE
>>the car still rocks (sometimes forward, sometimes backwards) before settling down.

Unlike many drum brakes, the ends of the shoes opposite to the expanding actuator are free to float - in the piccie on Malcolm's post above, you'll notice there's no fixed abutment near the adjuster wheel.

The end of the shoes by the exapnding actuator (the links which pivot and expand as you push the parking brake pedal down) does have a fixed abutment - but, as the shoes expand away from this fixed abutment, there is some clearance.

This clearance is manifested in a bit of free motion even with the brake fully on. Yes, there is more of this uncontrolled motion when the abrake is out of djustment.

The free motion is quite normal for this design of brake.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Thanks NumberCruncher. Forgot to mention that I have the donor car's parking brake to compare, and that car is rock steady after it is applied, with no rocking at all. Perhaps both cars' parking brakes need adjusting, but in opposite directions?? :confused:

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
If you want to check that rear brake shoes are holding the car, put car into drive (forward gear on manual g/box) and then reverse to see if car moves when given slight throttle,rear brake shoes only wear out if you forget to take hand brake of when driving the car but do need to be checked as they get warm from the disc and tend to dry out and break up,as adjusting them that has been explained here, replacing shoes is easy if you have the right tools only hard bit is getting the disc off if it has not been off for a long time this is bad servicing. Hope this helps

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
In your brake drum you have one off set hole, you just use a flat bladed screw driver in and flip the cogged wheel around till it locks the wheel,the back off a few clicks so the the wheel turns freely do not take the drum off,,it is only off to show the wheel to adjust

Perfect - thanks for the info.. Its on my weekend list so far of CPS replace, park brake, park brake cables re-secure.. clean.. polish..

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
Sorry? so the park brake is located on the front wheels / hub??

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
deff the rear disk/drums on mine

thats what you would think, I just wanted to confirm what Jet Tech meant before I go and pull the wrong wheels off the car in order to adjust mine - anyone want a second opinion please - Back wheels for park brake yes?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
With out any doubt at all,,,its on the rear wheels

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
Park brake is definitely on the rear. The only exception to that rule known to me was Alfa Romeo's Alfasud.
On my W124 they're not self adjusting but there's very little wear in use.
My park brake was shocking until I changed the discs. I was quite prepared to replace the shoes at the same time but when I got the discs off I found them to be almost pristine. A quick clean up of the shoe surface with sand paper and they were like new. The inside of the discs however were not, all rusty and pitted.

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda
Park brake is definitely on the rear. The only exception to that rule known to me was Alfa Romeo's Alfasud.
On my W124 they're not self adjusting but there's very little wear in use.
My park brake was shocking until I changed the discs. I was quite prepared to replace the shoes at the same time but when I got the discs off I found them to be almost pristine. A quick clean up of the shoe surface with sand paper and they were like new. The inside of the discs however were not, all rusty and pitted.

Also,Citroen Xantia has front wheel handbrake.(Didn't know about Alfasud though)Replaced rear discs/pads fairly recently (genuine MB). Parkbrake shoes were fihe,but went from a 'nice' 4ish clicks to quite a tight 2 -brake works fine and doesn't seem to bind though.Leave well alone ??

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
After adjustment mine settled at 3 clicks which I'm more than happy with. If you're sure yours aren't binding then yes, leave alone. :)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Also,Citroen Xantia has front wheel handbrake.(Didn't know about Alfasud though)Replaced rear discs/pads fairly recently (genuine MB). Parkbrake shoes were fihe,but went from a 'nice' 4ish clicks to quite a tight 2 -brake works fine and doesn't seem to bind though.Leave well alone ??

a lot of the late 80's early 90's citroen models had front handbrakes. bx's, xm;s etc!

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
All done - removed rear wheels - access to adjuster through bolt hole as described (my screwdriver did reach through the alloy wheel but you can't get enough movement to adjust so wheels off - which was good for an all over visual inspect anyway)
Park brake now holds the car firm, as opposed to not :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All done - removed rear wheels - access to adjuster through bolt hole as described (my screwdriver did reach through the alloy wheel but you can't get enough movement to adjust so wheels off - which was good for an all over visual inspect anyway)
Park brake now holds the car firm, as opposed to not :)

A good afternoon then good one :D

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
Good weekend to be fair, replaced the CPS, adjusted the parkbrake up, hopefully resolved the strange noise under the car re other post about the heat shield.. and even polished the windows. Productive weekend

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good weekend to be fair, replaced the CPS, adjusted the parkbrake up, hopefully resolved the strange noise under the car re other post about the heat shield.. and even polished the windows. Productive weekend

It makes it even better when you only joined the forum this month :D:D

harpersimon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 A200 AMG line
Absolutely! Very happy to be a member here among such knowledgeable people.
Hoping I can enjoy some motoring now I have (fingers crossed) resolved some niggles

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Absolutely! Very happy to be a member here among such knowledgeable people.
Hoping I can enjoy some motoring now I have (fingers crossed) resolved some niggles

its the niggles we fix that makes us appreciate our cars more. and knowing that we fixed it ourselves makes the driving even more of a pleasure!

kwak zzr

Reaction score
personaly the foot brake(handbrake) annoys the hell out of me mainly because its the first one ive ever owned and i find myself having to sit on my foot brake at traffic lights because its too much hasstle to take out of gear and apply foot hand brake :( small price to pay for really to get to drive a quality car :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom