hand held devices

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The rules & regs re using a 'hand held device' have just been tightened ..... ie using a phone if behind the wheel for other than phone calls

I assume we can still use 2 way radios while driving ...

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
This had to happen and I think it is a good thing.
It removes any ambiguity regarding the use of mobile phones while driving.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I think the huge touch screen displays fitted to many vehicles are now a huge distraction. You have to look at them to use them as there’s no physical feedback that you’re on the correct area or setting.
They’re now much cheaper than actual switches and so they’re getting dumped into everything :mad:

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
Makes me quite cross really. I find the contradictory aspect of this dizzying. I also think it reeks of utter stupidity from our policy makers.

I certainly do not want one in my car, I think they look tacky and cheap, are so impractical they are bordering on being dangerous, doomed to technical failures and issues. A friends Leaf was in at Nissan for months because of issues with the screen.

As Blobcat mentions, I suspect the real reason we are getting these devices dumped into so many models is because of the cost. The end result will likely be an increase in accidents.
Yesterday before I had got more then 3 miles from the edge of my village, driving down a country lane, passed three oncoming cars, two of which were more than half way across the white lines and on the wrong side of the road, both drivers staring down.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
So given a lot of head units can do screen mirroring is it ok to send a text from the head unit but not from the phone (not that I ever send texts while driving as that's just stupid and dangerous)?

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
the powers that be say that it's the actual conversation that's distracting and even hands free is dangerous. So is a conversation via a 2 way radio safer than a conversation via a phone - handsfree or not?
A woman pulled up alongside me the other evening, as soon as she stopped, she was on her phone in her lap .... it was obvious to the world though as her face was lit up by the light from the screen.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
So given a lot of head units can do screen mirroring is it ok to send a text from the head unit but not from the phone (not that I ever send texts while driving as that's just stupid and dangerous)?
will they allow you send a text on the move? WAZE prevents you from doing some things while the car is moving (can't think now just what)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
will they allow you send a text on the move? WAZE prevents you from doing some things while the car is moving (can't think now just what)
No idea as I don't have a screen mirroring capable head unit.

I can see Waze blocking it as it's motion aware and has access to location etc but does that apply to text messages?
On my phone messages has no access to location services so wouldn't know if it's moving or not unless the OS blocks it.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
No idea as I don't have a screen mirroring capable head unit.
Neither do I
My ML will show me the texts sent to my phone but I couldn't send one if I wanted to.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
10 to 2 and eyes forward is for GOOD reason but now they are makin cars that driver can(will) go to sleep in. Nuts!!!!

I have seen a woman go onto roundabout with mobile in ear and other hand applying lipstick. For me instant 6 month ban and a grand fine. N ur in lockup till fine paid, simples.

sausage

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL
The inconsistency in all of this is infuriating, and IMO shines a light on how poorly thought through this all is. I appreciate law makers are not technologists and therefore are often as far behind the curve as my parents can be. However, they should have advisors and for the money that all this costs, we as the tax paying public should be able to expect better, especially where legislation and fines are concerned.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The lawmakers play catch up with the technology they don't bring it in.

Ergo there has to be inconsistency.

The large "Tesla Screen" is a very distracting thing to me but many seem to manage it very well.

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
The inconsistency in all of this is infuriating, and IMO shines a light on how poorly thought through this all is. I appreciate law makers are not technologists and therefore are often as far behind the curve as my parents can be. However, they should have advisors and for the money that all this costs, we as the tax paying public should be able to expect better, especially where legislation and fines are concerned.
It is a start and if they waited for it to be perfect, we’d never get anything done.

It is better than what we had in the past and at least gives the police some teeth.

There are still far to many drivers that actually believe that they can drive a car properly while having a long conversation on the phone (even hands free).

Even worse are those that think it is appropriate to message while in control of a car.

I’m waiting for the technology & law that disables mobile phones in cars when the engine is running.

Funny how we were able to cope before mobile phones.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350

There are still far to many drivers that actually believe that they can drive a car properly while having a long conversation on the phone (even hands free).

what's the difference between talking to someone on the phone & talking to a passenger in the car? Not all passengers shut up when you get to a junction or when you're joining a motorway etc

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
what's the difference between talking to someone on the phone & talking to a passenger in the car? Not all passengers shut up when you get to a junction or when you're joining a motorway etc
You just said it ..."Not all passengers shut-up...” so most do?

I've driven behind people nattering in a car (dare I say mainly women) and seen that the driver is distracted but not as badly as a person on the phone. Added to that, if as a driver, you allow yourself to be distracted by someone nattering in your ear, you are a bad driver.

However, you are simply deflecting from the main issue which is that there are too many imbeciles (illegally) using their phone while driving. It is not illegal to talk in the car.

s5tuart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 R230 SL350
My car play will read incoming messages to me and take dictation for outgoing messages, all without me taking my eyes off the road or my hands off the wheel.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Some are distracted some aren't by telephone conversations witness your F1 driver at 200 mph driving on the very limit I have never heard of one crash because of the pit conversation.

One of my sisters well that's a different story at 30mph.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
But they learn and practice multi tasking from karting age.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
But my sister is a woman,

multi-tasking is in her DNA in her case so well embedded she can't find it.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom