Handheld diagnostic for Elec Power Steering

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
Just had a Elec power steering pump warning message flash up and go away as I started the Viano today. I see it was then logged as a message in the dash menu.

Steering works fine though.

So I ran a diagnostic with my iCarsoft i980 but there was no mention of the elec power steering on its list of areas to check for codes. However having had the ign on and off a few times to scan other areas out of interest I see the logged message on the dash menu has gone and the steering is still fine.

Anyway my main question is.... do any of the under £200 Mercedes specific handheld scanners cover more items than the i980 to include checking codes on the steering system?

Second point... does the elec power steering sometimes throw the odd code as a kind of glitch when nothing is wrong?

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
I would ask the specific questions of one of the authorised dealerships for a definitive answer!

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep probably a fair idea.... still be interested to hear from anyone with user experience.

OP
Droverunner

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think this is a case of "as you were". I'm sure the warning message was something like an exclamation mark plus the words "Electric power steering pump" and a picture of a steering wheel. But it's cleared now and I might be mistaken.

Anyway because of the message I thought either it was an elec pump on a hydraulic system or a fully elec system. Looking under the bonnet just now it is certainly a hydraulic system and the pump looks belt driven. In which case apart from fluid level I can't see what else a diagnostic could report... and my fluid is low and looks dirty. So reckon I'll find out what the fluid is and change it before worrying about a new code reader.

Top Bottom