1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard-line Rear brake line replacement W220 - Experiences?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering & Brakes' started by moj91, Mar 8, 2018.

1. moj91

moj91 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '09 W204 C-Class 250 CDi, '05 W220 S-Class 320CDI (AMG Kit), '03 W168 A-Class 170CDI LWB Elegance...
    Hello all,

Our W220 2005 S320 needs its rear brake lines replacing. One has split/burst from corrosion.

They appear pretty well corroded along their length.

We are getting wildly varying quotes for the work, £250 through to £2k.

From what I can gather, the rear subframe needs to be dropped, along with a few other faffy jobs.

So, questions :

Has anyone had this done, at a garage or yourselves as a DIY, and what are the pitfalls/major difficult points?

What sort of cost should this be to have undertaken (non-dealer)?

Are any MB special tools needed?

Are we/our chosen garage likely to come across any parts which will not play ball/need to be replaced when dis-assembling/assembling back together?

Is the system difficult to re-fill & bleed? This is a non-SBC car.

Cunifer brake lines or dealer supplied green ones?

Thanks!

2. steveq

steveq Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2011 Merc S212 E220CDI Estate; 2011 Merc W204 C220 CDI; 1965 W113 Merc 230SL Pagoda
    Hi,

A few years ago my S211 E220 developed a leak in one of the rear brake lines. It was near the back wheel on the passenger side quite close to the junction with the flexible brake line.
    My indy cut out the section that was corroded, replaced it with a new piece of brake pipe and joined it with the old pipe. He did the same section on the other side as it was the same age.

It worked very well and was far cheaper than replacing the entire pipe.

3. GordonTarling

GordonTarling Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2007 E63 AMG Estate
    Terry at Wayne Gates MB did what steveq just described to my old 211 last year - worked a treat. Terry told me that they strip the car back to find where the corrosion ends and splice the new bit in from there. Sorry, I sold that car, so no longer have all the paperwork to be able to advise the cost. Oh, the new section of pipe appeared to have some form of protective coating applied to it.