Has anyone bought 1x alloy?

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Hi all, I have two rear tyres that need replacing soon. I've decided as I need to go to UK through France (over the pyrenees) twice, endure 2 weeks of driving in Uk in January for work and then am going skiing on the way back I'm considering getting M+S tyres instead of replacing with summers just for the rear as it's RWD. It's also likely I'll be doing more rural unmade track driving around here next year and these might help with that regard too.

I do know that this won't help with braking, steering etc being on the back and won't make the car invinicble, just a bit of extra grip to get it moving just in case really - and this is the pyrenees/UK we're talking about, not the alps so most cars will do it on summer tyres without problem. It's just, no matter what some driving gods might say, having driven various vehicles in a ski season RWD is all other things equal quite inferior to FWD and so I'd rather have the extra grip in these conditions.

The thing is when I come back here and after pyrenees ski season ends (end Feb) there will be no real need for the M+S tyres and if they are as noisy as people say, or reduce mpg I would want to replace with summers but keep them for next year. Thus I need 6 wheels but only have 5 (this was made when they gave you a proper alloy as a spare)! So where can I get a single Mercedes alloy from, (I assume Mercedes don't do these any more - it's a very old design), but i assume if it's the same size it doesn't matter (I don't care about the aesthetics). I suppose if I can't fine one I could just have one M+S tyre as the spare when I put on the summers and then only the other M+S has to come off the rim?

And although it maybe the "correct" solution I don't want to be buying 4 steel wheels and winter tyres and have to store the second set and all that cost/bother - I happily did that when I was doing a ski season in the alps as it was 100% necessary but that is not what I plan to do this year and it really isn't in the same category.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
Which MB wheel 'name' and size (inc. offset) are you after, then?

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
Post up a photo, and the required size/Et

you may get lucky and someone has one :)

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Hi all, I have two rear tyres that need replacing soon. I've decided as I need to go to UK through France (over the pyrenees) twice, endure 2 weeks of driving in Uk in January for work and then am going skiing on the way back I'm considering getting M+S tyres instead of replacing with summers just for the rear as it's RWD. It's also likely I'll be doing more rural unmade track driving around here next year and these might help with that regard too.

I do know that this won't help with braking, steering etc being on the back and won't make the car invinicble, just a bit of extra grip to get it moving just in case really - and this is the pyrenees/UK we're talking about, not the alps so most cars will do it on summer tyres without problem. It's just, no matter what some driving gods might say, having driven various vehicles in a ski season RWD is all other things equal quite inferior to FWD and so I'd rather have the extra grip in these conditions.

The thing is when I come back here and after pyrenees ski season ends (end Feb) there will be no real need for the M+S tyres and if they are as noisy as people say, or reduce mpg I would want to replace with summers but keep them for next year. Thus I need 6 wheels but only have 5 (this was made when they gave you a proper alloy as a spare)! So where can I get a single Mercedes alloy from, (I assume Mercedes don't do these any more - it's a very old design), but i assume if it's the same size it doesn't matter (I don't care about the aesthetics). I suppose if I can't fine one I could just have one M+S tyre as the spare when I put on the summers and then only the other M+S has to come off the rim?

And although it maybe the "correct" solution I don't want to be buying 4 steel wheels and winter tyres and have to store the second set and all that cost/bother - I happily did that when I was doing a ski season in the alps as it was 100% necessary but that is not what I plan to do this year and it really isn't in the same category.
Says it all............

rayhennig

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 300CE-24 Sportline

I'd say the answer is to get the correct part number and start Googling, eBaying, etc. I did that for my 15-hole Sportline spec wheels and got a brand new on for €200.

RayH

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Says it all............

That's summer on rear, winter on front

This is M+S all-season on rear and summer on front.

And I'm not going somewhere where you *need* anything other than summer tyres. Essentially I'm just improving slightly traction on the back which is what you need both for starting and for not spinning your car.

I don't see the problem if I drive at the same speed as I would with summers, as braking/steering will not be improved, but neither will they be worsened. It's no different to driving in rain with summer tyres with 7mm on the back and 2,5mm on front. Not illegal (in fact recommended by tyre manufacturers to have the best grip on the back).

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
That's summer on rear, winter on front

This is M+S all-season on rear and summer on front.

And I'm not going somewhere where you *need* anything other than summer tyres. Essentially I'm just improving slightly traction on the back which is what you need both for starting and for not spinning your car.

I don't see the problem if I drive at the same speed as I would with summers, as braking/steering will not be improved, but neither will they be worsened. It's no different to driving in rain with summer tyres with 7mm on the back and 2,5mm on front. Not illegal (in fact recommended by tyre manufacturers to have the best grip on the back).
I wouldn't risk it as I fear the video will be applicable which ever way round the tyres are. It is different to driving on all summer tyres as the compounds react differently depending on temperature.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't risk it as I fear the video will be applicable which ever way round the tyres are. It is different to driving on all summer tyres as the compounds react differently depending on temperature.

I understand what you are saying but this is an old diesel W124 with no driver aids whatsoever (not even ABS). For the following reasons it is inherently less stable at the back and therefore any additonal traction there is a good thing:

1) RWD
2) Heavy engine on the front and usually no passengers/rear luggage
3) not very forgiving with non smooth gear changes/clutch etc makes traction easier to brake loose when setting off/at low speed cornering when chaging gear etc

As such it will be a safer car with better tyres on the rear, the local garage agreed and have said they will fit them. The real *danger* is now with 3mm Chinese branded tyres on the rear and 6mm newish Kumho's on the front.

*danger* being a relative term because I recently drove 100 miles with this combo on a motorway with a huge amount of standing water making visibility very difficult and actually needing 4th gear as there was not enough torque in 5th to push through the water. Because I drove at 45-50mph it was of course totally safe, I even stopped/steered without losing control to avoid the newish 4x4 (probably on 300eur/corner proper matching manufacturer recommended tyres) facing the wrong way ajoined to the crash barrier...

I do wonder how many of the people who go on about tyre safety and "it not being worth scrimping" drive totally inappropriately to the conditions. I'd rather be in a car with 1.5mm ditchfinders driven at appropriate speed than one with new premium tyres driven at the speed limit regardless "because it's legal to do that" despite the conditions

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...edes-Benz_300d_Diesel_Automatic_3.0_Front.jpg

It's this one - takes 195/65/15s - the wheel style was common across all MBs of the era, could I assume any 15" one in this pattern will be the same or is it different for W201/126 etc despite looking the same. I've studied the wheel and tyre and can see no mention of offset?
Just looked at my spare set for w201 (190d 2.5) steel wheels and the stock dimensions are ..
6J X 15 H2
ET 49
Part number 124 400 0602
Given the w124 part number i would assume w201 & w124 share the same rim (for a steel wheel) dimensions from the factory but w201 running steel wheels use 185/65/15 tyres not 195/65/15
Winter tyres make a huge difference in my experience. I am now running 6.5J 15 inch w210 steel wheels with 195 tyres on my 190d to fill the arches a bit better so i can confirm they fit as well
If you want a compromise why not fit a set of Michelin Crossclimates on the rear.
Hope this helps

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just looked at my spare set for w201 (190d 2.5) steel wheels and the stock dimensions are ..
6J X 15 H2
ET 49
Part number 124 400 0602
Given the w124 part number i would assume w201 & w124 share the same rim (for a steel wheel) dimensions from the factory but w201 running steel wheels use 185/65/15 tyres not 195/65/15
Winter tyres make a huge difference in my experience. I am now running 6.5J 15 inch w210 steel wheels with 195 tyres on my 190d to fill the arches a bit better so i can confirm they fit as well
If you want a compromise why not fit a set of Michelin Crossclimates on the rear.
Hope this helps

Thanks, in the end I'll go cross climates but possibly buy an alloy with the correct dimensions as you state to go back to summers here if the cross climates don't work well in summer. I'll have a look on ebay while in the Uk for teh extra alloy as there's not so many here. Winter tyres do not work well as outside the mountainous areas it will not generally get below 12-13 most days and could be 25 degrees in the sun in January. And then by May June the tarmac temperature could easily be 35 degrees! and as I won't replace all 4 I don't want winter on the rear and summer on the front as that's a difference, though I did drive a few months like this at the end of my ski season with my previous W124 auto estate and the combination worked quite nicely.

OP
D

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I ended getting Fulda all season tyres on the back, both fitted all in for 100€ in total.... not the best make but atleast a known brand. Can't hear any more noise from them though I think that's because the diesel engine isn't the quietest so the noise rating is a little irrelevant. To be honest I hope I don't have to test the grip but it should be better than the summers if there's a little snow around on the trip home/skking. The garage said there's absolutely nothing wrong with having the all season on the back and normal tyres on the front, it would pass an MOT like that and was the correct way to do it. They said there was no need to buy an alloy to change back as those all seasons should last almost as well as the summers so just leave them on there permanently as the name suggests...

They also loosened my front wheels so I can change my front brake pads over the weekend hopefully :)

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom