Has anyone got/used a mobile scissor lift?

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
as per lk i have the scissor lift was 1100 ukp had it around 3 yr no issues ,only thing i dont like
, hose from pump to rams not long enough for me would like another 2 mtre. i run 2 planks down the sides because it catches the front spoiler as the car goes over the lift .then it lifts to 1.3m .then if required i place 210 lt drums under each wheel so i can lower the lift to the floor then i can work unrestricted by the lift itself. if you have the height. i would prefer the single post mobile lift..

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!!

saw this at jersey dealership on trip earlier this yr liked the idea. ..if built correctly i think one could have as much height as one wanted and can be left out . i would not leave a post lift out .my luck would be the one day i need it there would be a problem. if i had a garage with sufficient height ,i would already own one.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
as per lk i have the scissor lift was 1100 ukp had it around 3 yr no issues ,only thing i dont like
, hose from pump to rams not long enough for me would like another 2 mtre. i run 2 planks down the sides because it catches the front spoiler as the car goes over the lift .then it lifts to 1.3m .then if required i place 210 lt drums under each wheel so i can lower the lift to the floor then i can work unrestricted by the lift itself. if you have the height. i would prefer the single post mobile lift..

Thank you

Wot1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 E320 -648
I am not really sure which section this should go under, but has anyone got or have used a mobile scissor lift? Are they as good as they seem to be? I am thinking of buying one, so would like any imput, information that you may think helpful.

Sorry I meant a car mobile scissor lift.
Scissor lift prevents a lot of maintence work, again go with a two post lift, then you can do anything and stand up!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Scissor lift prevents a lot of maintence work, again go with a two post lift, then you can do anything and stand up!
Better still is a 4 post lift. Less concrete work required to make safe and safer to work under too.

Wot1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2006 E320 -648
Better still is a 4 post lift. Less concrete work required to make safe and safer to work under too.
Four post is typically more expensive to lift the vehicle to the same height as a two post, but the biggest drawback is that you cant work on brakes or suspension easily because the wheels are still sitting on the ramps. Working under a two post lift is safe because they have a automatic one way mechanical lock that clicks in every couple of inches.

Last edited:

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
I still would prefer to work under a car over a pit, less chance of it falling on top of you, that's if you do things sensibly while the car is up on stands and not tugging wildly on mechanical bits that are being stubborn. Hmm my operator error there. :oops:
My 2 poster is 1970's and is fitted with a locking brake if anything should snap in the cable department, it also has lock safe blocks at two different working heights, still after all this time in use I still think just how fast I can exit.
A friend of mine was working on a VW Golf in the early '80's up on a 2 poster when the car started to tilt forward, he tried supporting the front of the car but couldn't hold it, let go and ran towards the rear as the car was sliding off, he got hit on the head by one of the arms as it swung forward, knocked him out cold and the car nose dived off the 2 poster and came to sit 45 degrees with the back resting against the lift. My mate was lucky. Investigation disclosed that the car wasn't quite sitting squarely on the arms, ie to far forward at the front which left hardly any weight on the rear arms. So operator error there ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Four post is typically more expensive to lift the vehicle to the same height as a two post, but the biggest drawback is that you cant work on brakes or suspension easily because the wheels are still sitting on the ramps. Working under a two post lift is safe because they have a automatic one way mechanical lock that clicks in every couple of inches.
Only safe if you have very good concrete work to support them. Two post lifts are highly susceptible to collapse from off centre loads if there is anything at all dodgy with the foundations.
You can easily work on brakes and suspension on a 4 post lift if you use a travelling jack to lift the wheels off the ramp. You also have the benefit of s convenient place to put tools, nuts, bolts etc while doing the work. You also can't work on sills and jacking points using a 2 post lift. I'd take a 4 post over a 2 post any day.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
The post above by LK sums up why I have a scissor lift and not a 2 poster.

They are superb providing that you have a substantial base to mount them on, also the height for the actual posts, but in a domestic garage this tends not to be very practical and the costs soon mount up.

A 4 poster is good but again, as stated above, needs an additional jacking system to raise the wheels to enable any suspension/brake work to be carried out.

The main problem with both of these systems is the space required for the actual posts. A 4 poster can have one in either corner of the garage but a 2 poster has to have them at the sides, where in a small garage space is already restricted.

The scissor lift I use is mounted flat to the floor thereby taking no space up. It's bolted down but this is not essential as the weight alone holds it in place. It has a capacity of 3.5t, though it didn't like my Range Rover too much, and will lift to a height of around 2 metres. There are two individual platforms with no connecting bars, which leaves the underside of the car free for exhausts, transmissions or any other grubby bits, and all four corners are accessible as it just lifts the centre of the car up leaving all the wheels free.

I appreciate that I can't get to bodywork items like sills and jacking points easily, though this can be worked round by using a jack and a couple of blocks, the same as you would do if the car was on the floor.

190 Underneath.jpg

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Dave, how much would such a lift cost?

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Dave, how much would such a lift cost?

As confirmed by Alex above, though subject to 20% VAT.

Well worth it and, if I remember correctly, that included delivery by a very sympathetic driver with a pallet truck and a tail-lift wagon. By sympathetic, I mean he actually gave me a lift to get it up the sloping drive and waited till I'd opened the packaging to make sure that the orientation was correct.

The suppliers were extremely helpful on the phone as well with a few questions I had.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
As confirmed by Alex above, though subject to 20% VAT.

Well worth it and, if I remember correctly, that included delivery by a very sympathetic driver with a pallet truck and a tail-lift wagon. By sympathetic, I mean he actually gave me a lift to get it up the sloping drive and waited till I'd opened the packaging to make sure that the orientation was correct.

The suppliers were extremely helpful on the phone as well with a few questions I had.

Which one did you get? I am getting the former which goes to 1m, but am not sure whether it includes rubber blocks.

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I got the full height one Alex. THIS ONE.

I'm too old to be messing about on my knees any more, so decided to extend the garage ceiling instead. :)

It came with rubber blocks, though I don't know if they all do. I actually bought some additional ones (150mm) on the bay as the ones that came with it were only about 40 or 50mm high. OK for a Merc but not for Jeeps/Range Rover type things.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I got the full height one Alex. THIS ONE.

I'm too old to be messing about on my knees any more, so decided to extend the garage ceiling instead. :)

It came with rubber blocks, though I don't know if they all do. I actually bought some additional ones (150mm) on the bay as the ones that came with it were only about 40 or 50mm high. OK for a Merc but not for Jeeps/Range Rover type things.

I would enjoy the full height one, but my units ceiling is only 2.8m high. I will be expecting to move if the venture is succesfull so its not a massive issue, ill just roll around on a stool, and it does bring wheels to a good height for brakes etc.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I have a mobile half scissor lift at home, ok for smaller jobs like brakes, cleaning and oil changes. We have 6 two poster ramps at work. Absolutely no issues at all, great acces to everything apart from sill trim removal. Four poster ramps take up more space and have limited access to do fwd gearbox work.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
The post above by LK sums up why I have a scissor lift and not a 2 poster.

They are superb providing that you have a substantial base to mount them on, also the height for the actual posts, but in a domestic garage this tends not to be very practical and the costs soon mount up.

A 4 poster is good but again, as stated above, needs an additional jacking system to raise the wheels to enable any suspension/brake work to be carried out.

The main problem with both of these systems is the space required for the actual posts. A 4 poster can have one in either corner of the garage but a 2 poster has to have them at the sides, where in a small garage space is already restricted.

The scissor lift I use is mounted flat to the floor thereby taking no space up. It's bolted down but this is not essential as the weight alone holds it in place. It has a capacity of 3.5t, though it didn't like my Range Rover too much, and will lift to a height of around 2 metres. There are two individual platforms with no connecting bars, which leaves the underside of the car free for exhausts, transmissions or any other grubby bits, and all four corners are accessible as it just lifts the centre of the car up leaving all the wheels free.

I appreciate that I can't get to bodywork items like sills and jacking points easily, though this can be worked round by using a jack and a couple of blocks, the same as you would do if the car was on the floor.

View attachment 46359

Hi thank you for that. This is the type that I have been looking at. (Scissor lift) Are they very mobile as some have wheels so that you can move them.

Last edited:

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Hi thank you for that. This is the type that I have been looking at. (Scissor lift) Are they very mobile as some have wheels so that you can move them.

Mine's not mobile as it's bolted down to the floor. It's also extremely heavy.

THIS ONE however, whilst only being a mid rise, may suit your needs

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
Mine's not mobile as it's bolted down to the floor. It's also extremely heavy.

THIS ONE however, whilst only being a mid rise, may suit your needs

Yes thank you. Even though I am getting on, 62, that may go high enough for my needs.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom