Has anyone replaced the boot floor handle on a CL500 C215 or S Class 220 or CLK??

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
When I got the car, the handle had snapped but been mended with glue. Amazingly it held.
As the repair was a bit messy I enquired about a new handle.
Oh dear on the CL500 216 its only available in a whole boot floor with handle @ £361!

I saw a thread about this, but cant find it now, and they said Winchester MB had them for the S Class.
Well it snapped off again last week, so I checked and its exactly the same part no, so ordered it £8.31!
Result.
Looks the same etc. :):):)
3D3018B7-FDC7-4F3E-940F-D3374981FFA8.jpeg

I was hoping it came with the under frame that goes underneath as can be seen here, its the outer support ring.
8453BEED-4A49-4E94-99C4-23EB2EF0F9F7.jpeg
So the new part pushes down into the under frame.
I assume the only thing that (rather amazingly) holds it together must be some claws on the outer frame, that catch on the sort of rectangular honey comb section ( there is one on each side).
326388E2-AEFD-4377-A9C7-EA4B7CDD7DFC.jpeg
Does one just get a knife or thin flat and push the frame out and at the same time push the new part with the handle upward and out?

Is there a knack or trick method to doing this easily ? Other than in this cold weather .. outside job, maybe warming the pastic with a hot air gun so its claws are not cold-brittle.

I am only asking, as it concerns me, that on the later cars S 221? and definitely the CL216 you can only buy the whole boot floor. My worry is, did MB use the same part (that is a definite) BUT say lashed some glue on this catch mechanism as they squeezed it together?? And thats why you have to buy the whole floor?

If its just pushed together, its going to be incredibly tough extracting this, and to be expected as this catch stops it falling apart when ypu lift the floor.
So it would be great to know the proceedure, in case the later ones are glued. As it might prevent me smashing the lower frame .... and then incurring a £361 boot floor.

Bluntly if that were the choice, having reglued it, I would just leave it!

Sadly the lower frame which should be less than £8.31 (as its a much simpler part .. no handle, or fulcrim pin or springs) is not available .. I guess that part is probably glued to the boot floor.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
The two halves are likely heat- staked together, in which case you cannot separate them without destroying them. That’s the cheapest simplest way of fixing together and how I’d design the process.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
The two halves are likely heat- staked together, in which case you cannot separate them without destroying them. That’s the cheapest simplest way of fixing together and how I’d design the process.

Thanks Craig.
Lets hope they didnt do that, as the part was available for the earlier cars.

But very useful to know, as I can look out for that when I try and prise it apart.... and decide if to abort the process. ...Appreciated.

Lets hope its like the “Unavailable” ABC filter for bottom return reservoirs ... which of course is available !
Thanks to the good old Yanks refusing to buy a whole new reservoir :)

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
SORTED :):):)

Just in case you are told you must buy the whole boot floor £361 e.g. like 2009 onward CL500s.
If its the same part no. As seen from below on the handle part (not the other part no. # on the whole floor in the corner). You only need the handle part and 25 mins!

Thankfully it is not heat welded or glued, just a very, very tight press fit.
And can be bought from Winchester MB, if you ask for one for a CL 500 C215. Or S Class 220

Note I found it impossible to lever out, even after I had pushed in a thin trim tool on 3 sides.
However the trick is to turn it over, and slide trim tools on both short ends, and on one long end; and then peel the “frame” part in the floor upward past the handle part. Sounds illogical but it works.

DD428F42-7D55-4EB6-9479-C3D7E3777BE9.jpeg
That is the frame on the left from underneath, it mirrors the lip on the new part on the right. So they kind of sandwich the floor boarding.

The logical way of pushing the frame apart (away from the handle part), and pushing or even levering the handle part out was completely impossible.
Hence my reason for posting this.

I also heated it to make it, as pliable as possible. After seeing how thin and fragile the retaining lip is I amjolly glad I heated it.

Wierdly there are no “claws” on the frame, just a pretty thin tounge. Amazed it held to securely.

Once you realise you “peel out” the frame, (discovered by accident) with the handle part still in it.
Then its a 10 minute job.
Refitting it is a mare!
Mine worked by centrering it properly, and then wedging out 3 sides, and then pressing the frame down ward and working your way around, 10 millimeter at a time ( circa 15 mins)
Note, It would not go in as I expected, i.e. in a single clunk.

Great result as this genuine MB part Only costs £8.31 incl vat and £2 postage. Carriage was at my risk and arrived the next day.
Total saving £353 :):):)
Very happy bunny.

TA DA! Good as new :):):):)
4597520D-6D4C-4288-9D5D-BF1396AE1971.jpeg

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That’s a great result!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I often think car manufacturers don't want to sell some parts as it is a nuisance for them so they ramp up the price to deter.
That way they can say they have a few spares pulled from normal production runs to fulfil requirements but haven't got to tool up for sporadic sales in the future.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Can we have the part number then please :)

Of course, hope it helps
A447057F-25A1-4707-8332-72043B47547C.jpeg

The A 10 digit is the part no.
And some of the rest of the nos is the trim colour code
Mine is Black leather ... useful for C216 & S221+owners as the MB system can’t be used, as it just says buy the whole boot floor.

2 MB dealers said it was impossible .. so many thsnks to Richard at MB Winchester, for grabbing a known Vin no. For a C215 ... and presto

For those cynics, it has the exact same part no, as on the original stamped on it.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
I often think car manufacturers don't want to sell some parts as it is a nuisance for them so they ramp up the price to deter.
That way they can say they have a few spares pulled from normal production runs to fulfil requirements but haven't got to tool up for sporadic sales in the future.

In fairness
I think its more a consequence of having so many more models. Yes they can use common engine , suspension gearbox parts. But a lot if trim must be model specific!
Either their stock holding must go up or they need to rationalise the qty of parts or ramp the price up.

My prediction is it will get a whole lot worse!

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
That’s a great result!

Thanks Craig
Yes I was pleased.
Honestly it irked me whenever I opened the boot.
But when it snapped off again, I had to sort it.
So £8.31 was a welcome surprise. :)

I did laugh, as it was raining yesterday I left the boot propped up in the hallway,
Only to hear my little Darling British Short hair tuning up his claws on the boot floor!!
Thought it was a new deluxe MB flat scratching post Gahhhhhh!

Luckily he only got in a couple of strokes before I heard it, so it was unmarked.
But given a couple of hours and it would all have been in vain
LOL :):)

Last edited:

area51

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Year2000 A160
A very satisfactory outcome, that's a huge saving!

I've just had a little look at EPC and did a part number search for your boot floor handle. It is used on several models.

I may have found a part number for the outer frame (sorry Sub, I know this is too late for you but it may possibly help others..)

A220 684 0265 7C45 frame luggage compartment floor. Looks about right from what I could find with Google images.

OP
Submariner1

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
If it
A very satisfactory outcome, that's a huge saving!

I've just had a little look at EPC and did a part number search for your boot floor handle. It is used on several models.

I may have found a part number for the outer frame (sorry Sub, I know this is too late for you but it may possibly help others..)

A220 684 0265 7C45 frame luggage compartment floor. Looks about right from what I could find with Google images.
If its the right one, that would be very very useful.
Luckily mine was perfect but you never know with this plastic stuff .. sometimes it just snaps.
And I was pushing as hard as I could with my thumb to get it back.
Stupidly I didnt photo the frame off.

ROGUEBEAR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R320/2009/W215
When I got the car, the handle had snapped but been mended with glue. Amazingly it held.
As the repair was a bit messy I enquired about a new handle.
Oh dear on the CL500 216 its only available in a whole boot floor with handle @ £361!

I saw a thread about this, but cant find it now, and they said Winchester MB had them for the S Class.
Well it snapped off again last week, so I checked and its exactly the same part no, so ordered it £8.31!
Result.
Looks the same etc. :):):)
View attachment 41146

I was hoping it came with the under frame that goes underneath as can be seen here, its the outer support ring.
View attachment 41147
So the new part pushes down into the under frame.
I assume the only thing that (rather amazingly) holds it together must be some claws on the outer frame, that catch on the sort of rectangular honey comb section ( there is one on each side).
View attachment 41148
Does one just get a knife or thin flat and push the frame out and at the same time push the new part with the handle upward and out?

Is there a knack or trick method to doing this easily ? Other than in this cold weather .. outside job, maybe warming the pastic with a hot air gun so its claws are not cold-brittle.

I am only asking, as it concerns me, that on the later cars S 221? and definitely the CL216 you can only buy the whole boot floor. My worry is, did MB use the same part (that is a definite) BUT say lashed some glue on this catch mechanism as they squeezed it together?? And thats why you have to buy the whole floor?

If its just pushed together, its going to be incredibly tough extracting this, and to be expected as this catch stops it falling apart when ypu lift the floor.
So it would be great to know the proceedure, in case the later ones are glued. As it might prevent me smashing the lower frame .... and then incurring a £361 boot floor.

Bluntly if that were the choice, having reglued it, I would just leave it!

Sadly the lower frame which should be less than £8.31 (as its a much simpler part .. no handle, or fulcrim pin or springs) is not available .. I guess that part is probably glued to the boot floor.
I need one for my 2004 CLK500

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom