Has anyone used this Bristol garage

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Understood, however you could pay 3 or 4 times as much with a garage who don't know Mercedes and charge you for their on the job training...
Ive already done that Blobcat you are quite right

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
I am not promising that!! But cars do often have "known faults" so when you've worked on them for years, many will be obvious as soon as you hear the symptoms - and "intermittent" faults are the worst!

Jason63

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 AMG
I'd strongly recommend BG Griffiths. I think there are just two mechanics there and both know Mercedes inside out.

I also know other local garages pass on MB jobs they can't diagnose to him.

I always do my own work on cars but for my C63 I need a FSH and the Digital Service Book updated. BG Griffiths did the last service and being me I knew exactly what needed doing what didn't. The garage picked up every issue but also, for example said that whilst the brake pads we low they didn't need doing right now. All the correct spec fluids were used and were perfectly filled to the exact level.

Compare that with two C63's I inspected with full MB histories. Loose screws, seized brake caliper nipples, loose brake caliper nipples, loose clips, corroded brake lines, etc.

I'd use BG over a MB Main Dealer any day.

And for what it's worth whilst people on internet forums often recommend garages I would only listen to those that actually have used the garage they recommend.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I only recommended Steve at Avantgard as I’d heard good things. It’s great to have personal recommendations for other garages too - and it sounds like BG Griffiths have the knowledge as well.....

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'd strongly recommend BG Griffiths. I think there are just two mechanics there and both know Mercedes inside out.

I always do my own work on cars but for my C63 I need a FSH and the Digital Service Book updated. BG Griffiths did the last service and being me I knew exactly what needed doing what didn't. The garage picked up every issue but also, for example said that whilst the brake pads we low they didn't need doing right now. All the correct spec fluids were used and were perfectly filled to the exact level.

Compare that with two C63's I inspected with full MB histories. Loose screws, seized brake caliper nipples, loose brake caliper nipples, loose clips, corroded brake lines, etc.

And for what it's worth whilst people on internet forums often recommend garages I would only listen to those that actually have used the garage they recommend.
Good to hear of another good Independent, thanks for sharing..
Just to pick up on your last point , I agree to an extent, I've not personally used Avantgarde but my recommendation is based on 4 things (three of which I can also apply to some others I've recommended):-
1) Although not used them myself, I know loads of folks who have and are very satisfied
2) They give freely of their advice on this very forum and have solved many problems 'remotely', or even guiding folks what to tell their garage to look for..
3) Everyone without exception has been happy with the recommendations and still uses them
4) He has an SLR :rolleyes:

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
If it's an intermittent fault hopefully it's stored a soft fault code if you haven't had full blown eml ?

Anyone local to read codes for you ?

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005

Hi thank you for all the information and sharing your experience

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Good to hear of another good Independent, thanks for sharing..
Just to pick up on your last point , I agree to an extent, I've not personally used Avantgarde but my recommendation is based on 4 things (three of which I can also apply to some others I've recommended):-
1) Although not used them myself, I know loads of folks who have and are very satisfied
2) They give freely of their advice on this very forum and have solved many problems 'remotely', or even guiding folks what to tell their garage to look for..
3) Everyone without exception has been happy with the recommendations and still uses them
4) He has an SLR :rolleyes:
Thanks John thats really helpful

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
If it's an intermittent fault hopefully it's stored a soft fault code if you haven't had full blown eml ?

Anyone local to read codes for you ?
Hi Gaz Im getting lots of help on hear which is super kind of everyone. When she went to the normal garage they said they couldnt pick up anything on the codes, I don't know what a full blown EML is, sounds nasty but Matt has been helping me and my car for the moment is starting up ok, even thought we still aren't sure what the problem is. I will share when we do finally find out what ails her.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EML - Engine Management Light

It is essentially car ransomware- it tells you something is wrong, but not WHAT is wrong until you hand over money..... the car COULD just tell you what was wrong now we have digital displays, but it doesn't..........

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Well, what can I say, you all have me blushing....:geek:

Ill start with BG...Good guys, Rob and Dan are lovely people and I dont hear any bad things about their reputation or about their worksmanship. I've seen a few cars they have worked on and I've never seen any horror stories from them either.

Yes we work on SLRs..but we also work on 20 year old A classes without prejudiuce! If you think I can help, feel free to pick up the phone. If you are coming from the Somerset levels, we are 1 minute off J20 of the M5. Feel free to pop in to check us out before commiting if you want.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005

Ill start with BG...Good guys, Rob and Dan are lovely people and I dont hear any bad things about their reputation or about their worksmanship. I've seen a few cars they have worked on and I've never seen any horror stories from them either.

Yes we work on SLRs..but we also work on 20 year old A classes without prejudiuce! If you think I can help, feel free to pick up the phone. If you are coming from the Somerset levels, we are 1 minute off J20 of the M5. Feel free to pop in to check us out before commiting if you want.

Thank you Steve, Matt is helping me but I think Im still going to need to check in with you, I have a dread fear of breaking down and since Im the taxi for my elderly mother my car has to V safe. I will give you a call tomorrow.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
My previous E55 had a service at BG Griffith before I owned it, where the plugs were ticked in the service book as changed.
When MBS did the next plug service he remarked they had never been changed before in his opinion and that was at 100k miles..
Make what you want of that.
Further to the post above, I should have made it clear that this would have been at least 10 years ago and well before I owned the car.
If Steve@Avantgarde vouches for the garage and the guys that work there, that is good enough for me and I'd have no qualms taking my car there for repair/service.
I apologise to BG Griffith for any unintentional slight on their business.

OP
C

CarolineSomerset

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 1.5 2005
Further to the post above, I should have made it clear that this would have been at least 10 years ago and well before I owned the car.
If Steve@Avantgarde vouches for the garage and the guys that work there, that is good enough for me and I'd have no qualms taking my car there for repair/service.
Thank AMGeed for your explanation it is very helpful.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG

I'm sure the wont have taken offence buddy! Also thank you for your continued recommendation of my place across both forums!!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom