HeadLamps For Europe B Class 2013 W246

bertg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class 2013
Planning a long drive to Italy in our B Class 2013 W246.
Any info regarding headlamps etc and essentials i should have in the car would be gratefully appreciated..

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If driving through FranvFyou should have 1 x hi vis jacket per person all reachable from the normal seated position, spare bulb kit, a copy of your V5, Tax, insurance and driving license, a warning triangle, a first aid kit and either a GB sticker or EU style plates.
For your lights it depends whether you have halogen lights or HiD.

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
If driving through FranvFyou should have 1 x hi vis jacket per person all reachable from the normal seated position, spare bulb kit, a copy of your V5, Tax, insurance and driving license, a warning triangle, a first aid kit and either a GB sticker or EU style plates.
For your lights it depends whether you have halogen lights or HiD.
AM i RIGHT IN THINKING THAT THE HID LIGHTS have a control within the headlights for changing the dipped beam shape, to make them suitable and safe for continental driving ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Yes most do. There is a small carefully hidden lever that can be operated to remove the 'kick' upwards on the left side.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Technically it's a feature of projector lights. HiDs on the w210 don't have this feature as they use reflector housings (D1R bulbs) as opposed to projector housings (D1S bulbs).

amustali

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ml320 cdi, iridium silver
Also some of the beam changers/adapters, theyre called eurolites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Also some of the beam changers/adapters, theyre called eurolites

I used to use them but to be honest they don't really work very well. Despite placing them exactly as per the instructions I still got flashed in France. I abandoned them & turned the headlights to the lowest setting using the thumbwheel on the dash & have never been flashed since.
And despite all the bumph from people who sell these things, you are not legally required to use them. The law in France says it is illegal to dazzle someone, there are many ways to legally do this without these stickers. There is no such French law that says you need to use beam adaptors or carry spare bulbs either.

amustali

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 ml320 cdi, iridium silver
Oh ok, thanks for that.

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
There is no such French law that says you need to use beam adaptors or carry spare bulbs either.
I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement to have spare bulbs with you in France, as I've been asked to show them several times to the Gendarmes during document check stops. And I'm on French plates.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm pretty sure it is a legal requirement to have spare bulbs with you in France, as I've been asked to show them several times to the Gendarmes during document check stops. And I'm on French plates.

When they fine you for not having them, that proves there is a law, asking to see them proves nothing.
My own car has LED bulbs everywhere, so should I buy replacement light units & take them with me?

thebiglad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CLK 270 cdi
When they fine you for not having them, that proves there is a law, asking to see them proves nothing.
My own car has LED bulbs everywhere, so should I buy replacement light units & take them with me?
Hi Russ, I can see you're taking umbridge with my comment, all I would say is that here in France, everyone I know or meet carries spare bulbs, all new cars sold in France come with a spare bulb kit and spare bulb kits are sold in all supermarkets that have an auto section.

Your choice of course............................

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Russ, I can see you're taking umbridge with my comment,

Not at all, I'm just pointing out such a law cannot work even if it existed, LED lights mean carrying spare bulbs is impossible, you would need to carry spare LED light units & clusters. Even with ordinary bulbs and with many French cars, you need to remove the bumper etc to replace headlight bulbs, never going to happen at the side of the road. The law states that if stopped for having a bulb out at night, you will not be allowed to continue until it is replaced.
It's like the spare glasses in France, everywhere says you need to carry a spare set, but the law says only if you wear contact lenses. The 'net is full of advisory info masked as "law" when it's not. Breathylisers & fire extinguishers is another example.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Irrespective of whether there is a law regarding carrying spare bulbs there IS a fine for having a failed bulb.
If you don't have a spare bulb set you run a very real risk of an instant fine (€35 I believe). Given the cost of a bulb kit is less than the fine why wouldn't you carry one so you can change a failed bulb before getting the fine?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Irrespective of whether there is a law regarding carrying spare bulbs there IS a fine for having a failed bulb.
If you don't have a spare bulb set you run a very real risk of an instant fine (€35 I believe). Given the cost of a bulb kit is less than the fine why wouldn't you carry one so you can change a failed bulb before getting the fine?

This is where it gets silly isn't it?
Having LED lights would require me to carry two spare headlight units, two rear light clusters, two spare indicator units for the mirror housing and possibly a spare third brakelight. How much would that cost and it would take up valuable space reserved for bringing home all that wine & cheese etc!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is where it gets silly isn't it?
Having LED lights would require me to carry two spare headlight units, two rear light clusters, two spare indicator units for the mirror housing and possibly a spare third brakelight. How much would that cost and it would take up valuable space reserved for bringing home all that wine & cheese etc!
The perils of modern technology!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom