headlight problem

DVR

Reaction score
Hi, I'm fairly new to the forum, I've had a few mercs over the years and have just sold my vito 112cdi , the best van Ive ever owned by far. I have a problem with the headlight on my 1998 E320 Avantgarde, the dipped beam will come on, then after about 20 seconds it flickers and goes off. Ive done a search and read the other threads and think I'll have to swap bulbs over to try and eliminate the fault etc. I was just hoping that someone will say "they all do that, just replace the fuse" or something simple and cheap :)
I know its a long shot but Ive got nothing to lose. Ive only had the car a few months and realy enjoy driving it, the mpg is a lot better than I used to get from my 4.6 hsa range rover

Regards, John

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
Hi bulb failure was suprisingly common in the late 90s I've seen plenty of W210s with just one headlight. I'm no expert here but the bulb looks like it needs a change or it could be a fuse. Sorry I'm of limited help. An expert should be here soon.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello John and welcome,,we do need to know what lamps are fitted to the var Xenon or bulbs

OP
D

DVR

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for the welcome, the bubs are the xenon type and its the dipped beam thats giving me the problems.

regards, John

OP
D

DVR

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, its the drivers side light, and it looks like I'll have to remove part of the airbox to get at the bulb?

Regards, John

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The chances are it is the control ECU that has failed by all means change them over, but do not run them without a bulb in

OP
D

DVR

Reaction score
I'll try swapping bulbs at the weekend, thanks for the help, you wouldnt know the model number/code of the bulb I need to purchase would you?

Regards, John

OP
D

DVR

Reaction score
Just a quick update, it was the bulb, when I removed the old one it was black. I found it easier to remove the headlight to replace the bulb as trying to replace it from the engine bay the airbox was in the way .

Regards, John

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom