Heater Problems - Please Help!!!

T

towerfc

Hi all - I'm new to here so please accept my apologies if in wrong section or annoying anyone. I recently purchased a Mercedes ML270 CDI TIP 2002 model and all been going great for about 6 weeks, until this morning when i could only get very very very luke warm just above cold air from the heaters even when the blowers were up to maximum. I have noticed that the temp gauge kept bouncing between 50 - 80 but never went any higher, since i've had the car I haven't noticed the temp going any higher than 40-45 maximum, the blowers were fine on the weekend but did notice they were not as warm when i used the car yesterday, then this morning nothing to warm the cockles up if you know what I mean - ****** typical when its freezing outside and decided to use car instead of motorbike for commute to work this morning to save being cold - has anybody got any advice or could help me as i really dont have a clue - I would really appreciate any help....

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
When you say the temp do you mean the engine temp? If so, you need to replace the thermostat as the engine should be around 80-90c when up to temperature. Not too bad a job and many (including myself) have done this.

Here is the DIY faq:

270cdi thermostat change

It's for the C class but the engine is the same.

HTH

Dave

OP
T

towerfc

heater problems

Hi Wirral - thanks for replying to my message, when i say temperature, i'm referring to the temp gauge in car, is it really easy to get to and change and if so any ideas where the best place is to get a replacement part?
Cheers mate

Wirral_guy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 CLK270cdi Avantgarde
By memory, I think it took me about an hour to complete on my driveway - the only hard bits were getting the rear bolt off the thermostat housing (limited access and visibility) and getting the short pipe underneath to sit right. And I am by no means a mechanic! Don't forget, you'll lose approx half to a litre of coolant so this will need replacing on completion.

As to getting the part, I bought it from the main dealer. I *think* it was around £40 but don't have the invoice to hand. It comes as a complete housing with the sensor. I'm sure I could have found just a replacement sensor (MB don't supply them) far cheaper but, for £40, couldn't be bothered.

I will stress, as it is still not clear from your post, that this is to resolve a low engine temperature (and, by association, poor heating)!

Dave

OP
T

towerfc

heater problems

Hi Wirral
Thanks for your help. Apologies if ive been unclear, when im refering to the temperature I'm going by the temp gauge on display next to the petrol display, i believe this is the engine temp gauge.

Massive thanks for all your help and advice

if your in my area sometime let me know and i will buy you a pint

cheers

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom