Hello all, due to buy a 1992 e250

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Jeep Grand Cherokee OM642 power
Hello everyone, I didn't see a section for introductions so I thought it no harm to post in here, I hope that's ok. I'm James from Cork in Ireland and last Wednesday I viewed and shook hands on buying a 1992 e250 diesel, this one here.....
merc.jpg

At 17 years old the mileage isn't out of the way at 227 000 miles, also she was a taxi at some point, presumably not for too long. She is a manual with full cream leather although the drivers seat was replaced with a leather / fabric one at some point, the colour matches though so that's not a biggy. Needs tires, not too bad otherwise, odd blister of rust on the wings but paintwork is good, no dents or scratches of note. The drivers electric window sometimes doesn't come down but the switch and motor are fine. Also the central locking is not working but I gather that is not uncommon with these cars. All going well I will collect her next week, I do have a niggling fear that the seller may not complete the deal but I am always like that when buying or selling.

She is my first Merc, I would generally be a Rover man :)lol:) but at the moment have a 1993 Prelude 2.2 non VTEC auto that I bought a couple of months ago that I am not bonding with, although she is a fine car. I have also had a Celica in the past and a Mondeo as a company car so I would be open minded regarding the motors and see the better points on most brands.

Anyway I hope ye are a nice lot who are happy to share the knowledge :).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi & Welcome to the forum.

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the welcomes chaps, due to collect Thursday evening, slow as hell doesn't bother me too much to be honest. Quick question for ye...... when the central locking doesn't work is the fuel filler cap unlocked or is there a way to open it ?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Quick question for ye...... when the central locking doesn't work is the fuel filler cap unlocked or is there a way to open it ?

Remove the panel in the boot on the fuel filler side and pull the red button back on the filler lock.

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that, very much appreciated. Sounds like a bit of a pain on an on going basis though. Will have to try and see where the system is loseing the pressure from and plug it. Thanks again.

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Bought and collected last Thursday evening, I am quite pleased with her. She seems fine, that pawl must have been removed as the flap is open so no probs with that. She hit 226 000 miles on the way back to my abode in Galway. A few more pics, she does need a good clean up and some TLC .........

2008_0904Prelude_clean0004.jpg

2008_0904Prelude_clean0005.jpg

2008_0904Prelude_clean0006.jpg

2008_0904Prelude_clean0007.jpg

2008_0904Prelude_clean0002.jpg

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
Welcome James and thanks for the pics (Im quite good at cleaning engines if you need a hand :cool:)

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Drive it and enjoy it but dont spend to much money on it, how much did you pay for it, not alot I hope ,looks quite rusty to me seems like some body has put the chrome arches on to hide the rust just giveing my honest opinion. Hope this helps

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the welcomes again, I hope to spend very little on her. Asking price was €900, got her for €450 (€430 actually). You may well be correct about the arches, I haven't taken them off but the rest of the underarches seem sound enough.

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Over here there is currently a waiting list of a couple of months for an NCT (MOT if you like) test. I rang them up last night and luckily I was able to get a test for Thursday the 9th due to a cancellation. I am going to get three tyres for her this week and put her in as is with the fingers crossed. There doesn't seem to be much wrong with her at all so I feel she may well pass.

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
You paid the right price lovely cars the 250d was the best, I have one 1990 had it 16yrs have always changed engine oil and filter every 5000 gearbox every 35000 now on 229000 still drives like the day I bought her but I have looked after the body on top and underneath, check brake pipes check fuel hoses, check chassis where rear sub frame bolts to. try and keep the car if you can it will only go up in price, where in Ireland are you ,nice Country, let us know how you get on Good Luck. Hope this helps

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm from Cork but currently am working in Galway, go home every weekend though as I'm only in Galway for a 12 month contract so don't intend settleing here (you never know though). She's actually sound enough except for the bootlid and above the rear window. My only concern about the NCT (MOT) test is that there may be a worn bushing somewhere (nothing driving the car makes me think that but just a worry) and the ABS light doesn't come on even though it should have ABS as there is the big ABS thing under the bonnet.

Cheers for the welcome and the advice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
So the lamp for the ABS does not light when the ignition is on

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
Somebody may have taken the bulb out as it might have stayed on after car had been started, check to see if bulb is there.

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Gave her a quick polish after work today, I'm very impressed with the high quality paintwork on this 17 year old car which has not been cherished by any means. I think it came up really well, I didn't even put much effort in :lol:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

OP
E

EireJames

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just back from the test centre, failed on a few small things

Battery not secure (same as on myPrelude, I have no luck with these batteries)
Handbrake (reckon I can fix that myself after reading the thread about replacing the disks and pads on W124s on here , only the drivers side is weak)
Headlight aim (both too high, I presumed they were fine as they are both at the same level)
Seatbelt in the back (was under the armrest and the lazy bastad wouldn't move the armrest down to pull it out)

none of the above bothers me and are either free or cheap to fix, in fact the lights is the only one I will have to pay for...

but.......... he failed it on the ABS light, have to sort now, I do hope it is not expensive.

Happy enough though overall, nothing too serious, he also said that she was sound underneath.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom