Hello from a newbie

andyd88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 CL500
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and let people know that I have taken a big step and bought my first Mercedes...a 1996 CL500. I collected it last night and so far I am absolutely loving it.

Any tips, advice or help will of course be appreciated.

Andyd

Attachments

• cl500.jpg
    cl500.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 31

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Welcome to the forum. I have a similar model and love driving it. See you at a meet sometime.

MissyD

Reaction score
Website
www.depop.com
Your Mercedes
E200 1993, E300 Coupe 2019
Just wanted to say hello to everyone and let people know that I have taken a big step and bought my first Mercedes...a 1996 CL500. I collected it last night and so far I am absolutely loving it.

Andyd

Hi Andy and welcome, lovely car :cool:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

Andyd

Hello and welcome Andy. What a beautiful car. Look forward to meeting up at some point?

There are get togethers planned at present for Saffron Waldon, Runwell in Essex, Bourton on the Water and a Christmas meeting at Gaydon, all of which are publicized in "Meetings and events".

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Andy

Welcome and good choice, if you need any advice then shout, see mine attached.

Im also the register captain for the C140 and would like to get a meeting together of all the C140's if possible.

jib

Attachments

• cl.jpg
    cl.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 13

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Hello and Welcome Andy, Very Tidy car.....

Post some more pictures.

OP
A

andyd88

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1996 CL500
Thanks

Andy

Welcome and good choice, if you need any advice then shout, see mine attached.

Im also the register captain for the C140 and would like to get a meeting together of all the C140's if possible.

jib

Sorry for the delay in getting back to the kind replies but I have been busy with kids, BBQs and driving my massive new CL all weekend!!!

Only issue I have with the car at the moment is the metal door strap is broken (common fault I realised after a quick bit of Googling) so will be trying to get that sorted soon. My drive is sloped so holding the door open with one leg while slotting a child into it's car seat is a challenge. Those doors weigh a fair old amount!
Not sure if to attempt myself or get someone to sort for me...the thought of getting the door panel off (and no doubt shearing all the pop studs with it) fills me with dread. The car has over 100,000 miles and doesn't rattle or squeak a bit so I know any bodge I do will make that worse.

The link you have put on about Mercanic - I take it you can recommend them (or own them???).

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
Strewth Andy you don't muck about with half measures do you...straight in the deep end with the monster coupe....respect.
And of course welcome.

And lives at Kettering too, still won't hold that against him..;)

Last edited:

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Sorry for the delay in getting back to the kind replies but I have been busy with kids, BBQs and driving my massive new CL all weekend!!!

Only issue I have with the car at the moment is the metal door strap is broken (common fault I realised after a quick bit of Googling) so will be trying to get that sorted soon. My drive is sloped so holding the door open with one leg while slotting a child into it's car seat is a challenge. Those doors weigh a fair old amount!
Not sure if to attempt myself or get someone to sort for me...the thought of getting the door panel off (and no doubt shearing all the pop studs with it) fills me with dread. The car has over 100,000 miles and doesn't rattle or squeak a bit so I know any bodge I do will make that worse.

The link you have put on about Mercanic - I take it you can recommend them (or own them???).

I had the SEC which had very heavy doors. Beware getting Tennis elbow. I do think that you have to open the door a certain way or it can become painful. I think I tried to alternate using my left hand on occasions to push it open. Just so heavy.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
I had the SEC which had very heavy doors. Beware getting Tennis elbow. I do think that you have to open the door a certain way or it can become painful. I think I tried to alternate using my left hand on occasions to push it open. Just so heavy.

Park across the slope in the car park, with the driver's side downhill. Let gravity do the work! Be sure you are not too close to the adjacent car though!

[A "lady passenger" in a 4x4 did that to me in a "park & ride" at St Ives recently. Bl**dy effective - big dent on the swage line, big blob of her paint. T cut took out the paint splodge (nano paint intact), but it took Dent Devils and £80 to correct the swage line.]

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom