Hello, I’ve also caught the SL500 bug...

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Thanks Alex, those were my initial thoughts and recommendations from car-friends.
Although when I see one-owner low mileage cars for sale and how new they look in comparison, I must say I am easily seduced by their ‘newness’.
That being said, the car I saw today didn’t have perfect paintwork but still looked great. I really liked it, and the owner seemed like a good guy. Just a shame about the rust and the boot.
On the other hand I feel it may still be worth another look if - I could get the seller down on price enough.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
For £15k you will get a 2008/09 facelift SL500 with the 5.5l V8 and 390bhp. Not much slower than an SL55, If I were you that is what I would look for at that price point.

Here's a nice one, other than being black and it's missing the wind deflector........

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202001045794158?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&aggregatedTrim=SL500&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&sort=price-desc&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=al51hg&radius=1500&model=SL CLASS&price-to=15000&page=1

There are some facelift ones at that price too, although they are not as nice to look at from the front IMO.

Last edited:

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I started at 10k in November, now I’m at just under 15... but it does look that way. I know I am scraping the barrel a bit.

However I’m not sure I can push my budget much higher. What is the consensus on higher mileage cars? If, say, I were to find one closer to 100k but without the aforementioned issues, or if a lower price freed up a bit of cash to do the necessary work?

I don't think your budget is out of the way particularly at this time of the year. The Jasper Blue one is nice, but unless you really want a bit of a project, I'd move on. With these, freeing up a bit of cash can get very costly indeed. There are always plenty for sale. Don't be swayed by the sometimes ludicrous prices being asked by dealers for SL 55's - they'll have them in stock ad infinitum. If you're patient you will find a nice one at your budget without mega mileage.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Any car you look at in the more luxurious and super car stature will always has some faults. even our SLK which has relatively low miles at 74k and full MB main dealer history with paint protection and Mobilo still had faults, so unless you are going to go brand new, but saying that, even our brand new car we bought had a fault and had to go back.
Buy a car Nick with all the faults you know about and budget a couple of grand to bring it up to the car you want. ;)

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Hi all,

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

I little update on my SL hunt... I bought one!

kMzKScL.jpg

This is my 2002 SL55, catching a nice bit of lens flare – it's the jasper blue one I posted about earlier.

Yes, I have to put some towels down in the boot when it rains. And I had to spend a bit of time with an unwound coathanger poking out the gunk in the heater box. I intend to spill the full beans in a more detailed post soon.

But what a tremendous, naughty little car this is :)))))

Took it home with the roof down a couple of weekends ago and was beaming ear to ear.

Hopefully the beaming will continue for a while yet. I'm planning to get a few little things sorted before the Summer.
Global pandemics not withstanding!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Hi all,

Took it home with the roof down a couple of weekends ago and was beaming ear to ear.

Yes, that is what happens with an SL55. Wait until the roads dry out and you can give it the beans. It is the one car I have owned that I have never got bored with. Even 911s wore thin after a while. This one you never stop exploring it's character and it never stops surprising you.

That looks like a really nice car, and very rare in that colour.

There are less than 1,000 SL55s on the road in the UK according to howmanyleft.co.uk, I would guess the majority are silver, with maybe 25% black and maybe 10% Jasper Blue. That is a complete guess, however.

That looks like a nice address you have there, BTW.

Last edited:

LesTaylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG F1
Hello Nic, welcome to the forum. As a SL55 owner I emphasise with your dilemma. Personally I think the 55 is an affordable super car. Yes it can be a shock when something goes wrong, but if you consider anything you buy now with any sort of powerful engine gearbox and drive train there will be high costs. I’ve had my 55 for 5 years, I’ve driven some really nice cars, but the 55 is a great all rounder. The 500 is a great car, but I fear you will always wish you had a 55. Go with your heart mate. Whatever you choose you will find the funds to run it. Don’t be scared to go for it. I have no regrets at all. :D

OP
neeklaus

neeklaus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55
Yes, that is what happens with an SL55. Wait until the roads dry out and you can give it the beans. It is the one car I have owned that I have never got bored with. Even 911s wore thin after a while. This one you never stop exploring it's character and it never stops surprising you.

That looks like a really nice car, and very rare in that colour.

There are less than 1,000 SL55s on the road in the UK according to howmanyleft.co.uk, I would guess the majority are silver, with maybe 25% black and maybe 10% Jasper Blue. That is a complete guess, however.

That looks like a nice address you have there, BTW.

Thanks Mark. I gave it the beans the other day. Properly, for the first time.

I felt like the car was moving away from me. It was outrageous!

I have just started exploring ABC Sport mode, which has been proving quite fun. Improves the acceleration too, I find.

I've seen a few SL55s and this colour really did it for me! There was one in a nice dark green but somehow I liked the way the blue suited the car. It has a grey leather interior, which I think is a nice but bright neutral colour.

The car needs a wind deflector. I have also been considering swapping out the aluminium trim for the ash wood one, but that's a cosmetic upgrade that can wait I think!

Speaking of which, there are a few scratches on the aluminium centre console. Can anyone recommend a way or a product that will help get rid of them?

LesTaylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG F1
Hi all,

kMzKScL.jpg

This is my 2002 SL55, catching a nice bit of lens flare – it's the jasper blue one I posted about earlier.

Yes, I have to put some towels down in the boot when it rains. And I had to spend a bit of time with an unwound coathanger poking out the gunk in the heater box. I intend to spill the full beans in a more detailed post soon.

Hopefully the beaming will continue for a while yet. I'm planning to get a few little things sorted before the Summer.

I bought a half cover for mine to help stop the ingress of water to vulnerable areas. It does help https://www.classicadditions.com/up...f-outdoor-half-car-cover_10074_main_size3.jpg

LesTaylor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 SL55 AMG F1
5DED02F1-74D5-4F7F-8988-22C27E54EF7F.jpeg
Hi all,

kMzKScL.jpg

That is a beautiful colour, I think blue shows them off at their best
Sorry for some reason my picture is at the top of this post...

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
Hi all,

kMzKScL.jpg

Love Jasper Blue on an SL. Our 350 is that colour. Just missed out on a gorgeous SL65 last year in Jasper with 20k miles. Owner sold it to someone for less than I offered.:(

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom