Hello. Just ordered my first merc.

Starwarsfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glc
Hi all.

I have today ordered the replacement for my aging company mondeo estate.

I have ordered a Mercedes GLC 220 sport premium plus in cavansite blue with the silk beige leather interior.

Also added the off road pack and running boards.

Anything that I should know or be aware of?

I am not getting it until September. I know it’s a long way off but I can’t get rid of my company car until then and I like to be prepared.

Crazy to think because of company car tax rules and some very keen pricing this is going to work out costing me the same as the mondeo does!

Really looking forward to picking it up!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome
Only well documented issue is the crabbing/tyre scrabble but it does affect load of other non Merc cars just this one has been blown up a lot! Fix is all weather tyres so just make sure yours is specced with those

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Welcome , you are going to notice a difference in cars . I made the leap 6 years ago from Mondeo diesel to E320cdi , still haven't got over it :D

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Welcome , you are going to notice a difference in cars . I made the leap 6 years ago from Mondeo diesel to E320cdi , still haven't got over it :D
Of course he'll notice a difference .... the Merc will be new vs the old Mondeo, there'd be a notable difference what ever make the new car is.
You stepped up in size from your Mondeo to an E Class & 4 pots to 6 .... no surprise you noticed a difference.

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Of course he'll notice a difference .... the Merc will be new vs the old Mondeo, there'd be a notable difference what ever make the new car is.
You stepped up in size from your Mondeo to an E Class & 4 pots to 6 .... no surprise you noticed a difference.
Exactly , people like to hear positive confirmation of their decisions . My comments were more of a positive "well done" to a new member :D

OP
S

Starwarsfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glc
Thanks all. I have an idea what to expect as although this is my first merc, I have had an E28 5 series in a past life, as well as an E46 m3. Unfortunately for bmw, particularly with regards the interiors, the current suv range looks a little dated (not as dated as the q3 though) and very ordinary, whereas in my opinion, the interior of this Mercedes, and to be fair all of the other models I looked at, is a lovely place to be, and that’s what swung the decision.

Despite good reviews crowing about how close the mondeo is to German fit and finish, the Ford is still light years behind German cars in build quality. In four and a half years it is literally falling apart. The boot is in pieces, the drivers seat collapsed and the sat nav now needs written notice to do anything.

Had my heart set on an epace. Beautiful looking car. Very small though once it comes down to it, particularly the boot vs the glc. Nice to drive but not as well appointed as the glc with premium pack added and because it’s a new car, zero chance of a discount. I got nearly 20% off the Mercedes that made it far better value. Plus at 5 foot 8, when I had the steering wheel and seat in the right position I had to crane my head round the steering wheel to see the sat nav properly

Saw the crabbing issues and will be sure to spec the all weather tyres. That would have been my choice anyway, as I do intend to take it over mud from time to time. It seems to be more annoying than a safety issue.

My only criticism is the way the iPad type screens just seem to be stuck on, but it’s a small thing and as they aren’t touch, mounting them higher seems to work.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The iPad glued to the dash seems to be a growing theme in most Merc these days, even the very very expensive cars .... I'm not a fan either.

OP
S

Starwarsfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glc
The iPad glued to the dash seems to be a growing theme in most Merc these days, even the very very expensive cars .... I'm not a fan either.

I was told by a dealer that they are facelifting the glc later in the year, after they do the c class. It would involve making the screen more intergrated and also replacing the dials with digital dials (not a full dash, just the dials)

Mind you, I took it with a pinch of salt as he seemed to be struggling to tell the difference between a car with real leather that he was insisting was artico and the car behind it, which was clearly artico, when I was trying to gauge the difference.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Welcome!

Nice choice of car and colour combo. I was admiring a new coupe gunmetal silver example (not sure of the exact colour name but Palladium in old money) on my walk to pick-up the paper this morning they do look a nice package

My son’s company car needs replacing at the end of this year and I’ll certainly be recommending one to him

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom