Help and advice buying CLK or E Class

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLK W209 270 cdi
Hi all,

This is my first post, although I have been reading the forum for a while. I'm very impressed by the help and advice everyone gives - its a very friendly forum.

I am looking for a new car - my focus estate has seen better days and its about time I got something a bit better. I was thinking about either an E270 diesel 2004 model with < 60k miles (can buy for around £10k+) or a CLK 270 diesel model of a similar age and mileage (similar price too).

I have been looking for some time and have a few questions:

1) Am I right in thinking the rust problem wont be an issue with 2004 models?

2) Whats the general difference between the Elegance and Avantgarde models?

3) Whats the whole 5 cylinder thing in the 270 CLKs (from Autotrader technical section) - I thought it was generally 4 or 6? What are the 5 cylinder engines like?

4) Are folding seats common in the E class and CLK? I have to be able to fit a bike in the boot...

5) Does anyone have any other suggestions about these two models - which is best, more reliable, what specs to look for etc?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reuben

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
1) Am I right in thinking the rust problem wont be an issue with 2004 models?

Correct. Cars of that age are galvanized and have nano paint.

2) Whats the general difference between the Elegance and Avantgarde models?

Elegance is a softer more compliant suspension and less "sporty" trim. On the E Class, AG has Xenon lights (superb), part leather upholstery and firmer lower suspension.

3) Whats the whole 5 cylinder thing in the 270 CLKs (from Autotrader technical section) - I thought it was generally 4 or 6? What are the 5 cylinder engines like?

Well thought of, I believe, and economical.

4) Are folding seats common in the E class and CLK? I have to be able to fit a bike in the boot...

Not standard on the E Class saloon - and I think uncommon, so you would do well to find a car with this feature. I don't know about the CLK.

5) Does anyone have any other suggestions about these two models - which is best, more reliable, what specs to look for etc?

The E Class is a roomier car with a good boot. There are lots on the market. The other diesel engines are very good too - 320 is quick and excellent for towing, but not unduly thirsty. 220 is more frugal and goes well - less acceleration than the 320, but will cruise all day at illegal speeds just the same.

I would tend to keep an open mind on choice of engine, but my preference would be for an E Class (more elbow room).

Hi Reuben, and welcome to the Forum. I have set out my views on your questions Q & A style up above. There is a lot of personal choice involved. Folding seats were not standard on the E Class, so finding them on a used car would be a matter of luck.

I have not run a 270 but they have many fans and do appear to be a very economical engine.

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
Very well put Alex

OP
R

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the quick reply Alex! Good to hear about the paintwork, as there seem to be a lot of posts on this forum about the rust problem!

Interesting comments about the E Class. I will be sure to check about the folding seats before I buy anything, given that its an option. I did ring up one dealer who had a CLK and the seats in that one did fold, which was interesting. Whether its standard in the CLK or not, I dont know?

My impression (probably unfounded) was that the 220 would be a bit underpowered really... I felt that the 270 was a good compromise, but then often there is more to it than that. People may tell me otherwise.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
The 220 isn't as underpowered as you'd think. i thought the same and test drove one before buying. I was pleasantly surprised. The 220 is quite eager and certainly felt a match for my previous E240
The way the salesman put it was that round town there is nothing much to choose between the 3. Its only 50+ that the difference really starts to show. As I do a lot of mway work, I went for a 270 and haven't regretted it. I once drag raced a 220 and was well over 40 before I started to pull away. Had a nice 320 come up, I'd have been tempted but the 270 is 4 mpg better in my experience and the 270 is plenty eager enough, though the porsche style 70+ acceleration of the 320 is intoxicating.

Folding seats were an option across the range. They do exist (a friend and the old man both have them on their E classes) but despite mine being a better spec overall, I don't.

OP
R

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats interesting. Certainly the 320 diesel is seriously powerful, and its interesting to see that the efficiency of the 220, 270 and 320 in the E class isnt too different. What do people get, in practice, from their E class diesels?

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
I believe folding seats are standard on the CLK, mine certainly do anyway.

Russ

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
E class all day long. Much "more" car for the money, nice as the CLK is I'd go for a 211. As already said don't discount the 220cdi. If folding seats are an issue maybe an E class estate would be a better bet. Cavernous boot.

boltman

Reaction score
Hi ive just sold an 03 e270 and bought a 06clk320 the e seems a better cruiser but performance wise chalk and cheese the clk realy is pretty quick glad i swapped

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Hi ive just sold an 03 e270 and bought a 06clk320 the e seems a better cruiser but performance wise chalk and cheese the clk realy is pretty quick glad i swapped

The CLK, even in base spec, has a lot of standard items that are optional extras on C & E classes. Don't discount it too soon.

Russ

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
The folding seats were standard on CLK's in 2004.
They drive differently - I was tempted by an E class but i just don't need a car that large (only 2 of us) and the boot in the CLK is pretty big.
The CLK had a dash upgrade in 2004 and the late year models have this.
What is your likely annual mileage?

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Remember that the CLK is based on the C class platform so nice looking though it is, it does not have the space of an E class. It is not very roomy in the back if the driver is long legged. The ride is very 'firm' compared with the E class.

If you want anything more than a folding bike in the boot why not try out an E class estate. Drives remarkably like a saloon. Loads of space. Love mine. Comfortably over 40 mpg on a run.

geoffreyw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200K Auto/Tiptonic Avantgarde
OP
R

reuben

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow, thanks for all the replies.

My feeling is that the E Class is a little big for me, although I would probably get used to it pretty quickly (and like it!). I have friends with both an E Class and a CLK, and I have to say I slightly prefer the E Class interior to the CLK. I dont think I would be interested in an estate - I dont like the shape too much to be honest, and my wife has an A4 estate if we need to shift things.

I'm pleased that it sounds like the CLK has folding seats as standard - especially split ones. The bike is a full size hardtail mountain bike but I willl be taking the wheels off. I have checked and it can just about go in an E Class boot (without seats down) with the wheels off and saddle removed. I am assuming therefore that it should go in a CLK with the seats down just fine (might not even need to take the saddle off). I will probably get one of those boot protectors for it - I found a company who make them customised, so I plan to get one made with a bit at the back for when I put the seats down.

How firm are we talking in the CLK? I guess it depends on whether its the avantgarde/elegance and whether it has lower profile wheels. To be honest, although I like a good bit of acceleration, I'm more for a smoother ride generally as most of my journeys are two hours long.

PeterCLK: my annual milage is about 12k.

I will have a closer look at the Parkers guide stuff at lunchtime.

Thanks again for all the help!

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
MY AG CLK ride is not at all firm, nor is it "sloppy".
When the 204 (new C class) came out I drove both the Elegance and Sport versions.
The elegance suspension is much softer than my CLK and the Sport much harder.
I like the balance the CLK gives me between the 2.

I suggest you take your bike to your friend and make sure it will fit in before you buy the CLK. I think it will be OK length wise but the top/bottom aperture needs checking.

Mileage - I asked because if it's low then a petrol engine would make sense but at 12k you are on the margin betwen petrol and diesel.

Also, make sure you are happpy with 2 doors rather than 4 - can be a pain in the supermarket.

Good luck.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom