HELP, buzzing whirring noise W220

J

johnthornhill

Hi,

I have a 2002 s class cdi, it has just started making a whirring noise that you can hear inside the car, its worse when its stationary.

This car really has been a nightmare since i bought it.

Its like a pump or something on the way out, sounds like a bumble bee buzzing and whirring, you cant really hear it outside the car just inside coming from the dash, it can get pretty load. I have noticed that the suspension goes right down to the floor when the car has been stood still for a while and it never use to.

Does anyone know what this might be?

Thanks

John

sarkyanimal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320 1955 triumph tr2 + cls 350
my guess is put the 2 problems together sounds like the compressor is working all the time have you checked if you have an air leak anywhere

OP
J

johnthornhill

Thanks, but how do i check if it has a leak? yeh it is like there is something on all the time but it is getting worse and its as though its gonna go bang and stop working.

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
have you listened to the noise

from outside the car.
If you do, and localise it as coming from under the right front wing, then it's the airmatic pump.

If it isn't audible outside, then it could be the heater/aircon fan inisde. If not that, it could be the radiator fan motor.

Pop the bonnet up, run the engine, and press the airmatic button to raise the suspension. nip out and see what you can hear. the air pump runs for about 15-20 seconds.

The radiator fan motor runs all the time on slow, and only on fast when the aircon or thermostat demands it.

the internal heater fan is in the passenger footwell, and runs according to what you set on the dash.

Last edited:
OP
J

johnthornhill

Thanks for this, i have a feeling its the airmatic pump working too much as its intermittent on and off and when i turn the heating or aircon off it makes no difference.

I think maybe its a leek and the pump is trying to level the car all the time, are leeks expensive do you know?

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
No leeks are quite reasonable unless out of season..
But onto your main problem the airmatic pump....if it runs for more that 30 seconds then it is on its way out.. A new pump and relay will set you back about £300..it is a fairly easy unit to fit.... You may have to also fit a new bracket or bracket posts/studs and springs ..

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
the pump does make a noise normally

and it's not that loud, so your description of a buzzing bee may be referring to a 'normal' pump running a lot. rather than a dying pump.

For reference, a dying pump sounds like a pair of amorous skeletons on a bus shelter roof.

So, looking at your dropping suspension, a leak is probably more like it.

Do the search on here for airmatic leaks. You can do wonders in detecting them with soapy water. if caught early, some of them can be fixed cheaply.

Top Bottom