HElp... C200 N Reg >123000Miles Low coolent smoking rattling..help

P

pk_pal

Hi there,
I was wondering it you would be able to help diagnose my Merc C200 N reg model problem.

She was a problem free car since i got her 1 year ago. Suddenly she had her coolent light go on and off for about 6 months as well as the headlight warning. We initially thought the fuse was acting up and didnt bother . then on MOT a full service was done and she was fine.... light were back to ok in jan..... now the light came back on and the engin starrted to sound like a rattling can... after a while she quiets down.. the temp gauge is always at 80 ... but started to go up abit to 90+ ... we refilled coolent and oil... the sound went down ..... but she was still not right...

so we took her to a mechanic who thought the sensor for the coolent was out.... he cleaned the thermostat and the coolent pipe where its inlet to the engine and refilled the coolent ..... I took her out of the garage ans she was ok .... but half an hour later i restarted her and on stopping at a trafiic light she was pouring white smoke and the interior was smelling of oil..... Smoke + oil bits are seen from exhaust......
We rechecked coolent level and it was low...

She is a great car but we cant afford to spend alot on her ... please advice us with miracle tips.....
-Pal-

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
first thing to do is to look inside the oil filler cap and on the dip stick for any signs of water

OP
P

pk_pal

help c200

how do i do that .... i mean look for water in oil....

OP
P

pk_pal

The engine oil looks milky

OP
P

pk_pal

We refilled the coolent..... yesterday we filled her up with coolen.... today morning was empty and we just filled her up for 4 liters of coolent.. after that on checking the engine oil it was milky ..... please help..... should we stop driving the car and seek major help...

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
Sorry to say that indicates you have water in your engine oil, and therefore the most likely cause is a failed cylinder head gasket. You'd better start saving!!! :(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes as Blakey, the head gasket has failed

OP
P

pk_pal

thanks for ur reply .... ny idea how much would it cost us.....

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Unfortunately, unless you decide to do the work yourself, this probably makes the car beyond economic repair, as not only do you need to strip the head to replace the H/G, you also have to flush the engine to get rid of the emulsified oil and water. Not a nice job at the best of times.

OP
P

pk_pal

also can we drive her for another 70 miles to our usual mechanic(cheaper) ,,, is it advisable... or should we look at a local mechanic.... by doing long distance will we be destroying the engine....

Or should we put her own.......

here they are asking 300 pounds for looking at the car only... :(
please advice

-heartbroken -

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wouldn't drive it. Are you an AA member?

OP
P

pk_pal

Yup we are an AA member..... will look at the local mechanics before moving forward.... will keep u updated on the repair... nyway what could have caused this failure....

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
More often than not lack of glycol in the coolant can accelerate corrosion in the waterways around the head. If you then have an overheat for some reason, which can cause warping of the head it will open up the leak for sure. ~The way you described the water leaking out overnight it sounds like quite a catastrophic failure.

In future, if you find you have to top up, don't just add water, - add a properly proportioned mix of the correct antifreeze. Then, if you find you have to top up again, be sure to establish where the leak is.

Best of luck with the repairs. :)

Chris

mahadeshwar

Reaction score
Pk Pal where do you live if you are near slough or london and send me an explination of the issue i can try and get a quote for you i have two great mechanics down here.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom