Help C240 wont crank

dangermose240

Reaction score
Help I have a C240 that wont crank, When I insert the key the dask lights up and all looks ok but when I turn the key nothing.

I have a Star system and have tested the keys and then the EIS and the keys are fine and I get the start signal from the EIS
so its not that.

I jumped the purple wire in the front SAM to the +terminal and the starter kicks in and cranks so I dont think its a starter problem.

I also swapped out the starter relay for the Horn realy and this didnt do anything.

I checked all the fuses and nothing is blow.

I scanned the gearbox and the gear selection seems correct and shows no errors.

Battry is old but showing 12.4v on Star.

I cant test any of the relays as you need a socket box add on for the star that I havent got.

Could this be a dodgy ME-SFI, Is this the main computer? If I get a second hand one can I plug and play or does this also hold the key
information.

Please excuse my lack of knoledge if I think I have all the names correct, Am a bit lost on what to try next.

Many Thanks

Chris

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is the car a 202 or 203

OP
D

dangermose240

Reaction score
Sorry total lack of car information its a 2002 W203.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Just to chime in quickly, my friend had this exact fault on this same model the last week and diagnosed it as the ignition switch, as it could be hot-wired and started like yours, one fitted from MB and made no difference, it turned out that the starter solenoid was actually the fault all along, and a replacement starter cured it.

OP
D

dangermose240

Reaction score
Do you know if there is anyway to test the starter solenoid? Just to confirm if you friend jumped the purple wire on the front SAM onto the battery it would crank?

Also couple other things to add, When I took the lid of the front SAM there was condensation on the lid! The car had this problem intermittently over a few week and would go after a few attempts but now nothing.

Last edited:

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
KK relay is the likely fault here. Go to front SAM box and you will find relay K. Replace that and it will probably start.

Common issue.

OP
D

dangermose240

Reaction score
I switched out the relay for the horn as they are the same and it still no luck.

Is there anyway to check that the relay is working.

I think the purple wire from the front SAM is the feed to the starter motor, If I put a multi meter from this to earth when I turn the key I should get out put (the trigger to the starter) and I don't, I'm guessing.

Is it possible to pull the solenoid and put a meter across the trigger to see if its getting a signal? or jump the circuit to trigger the starter?

robparker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Do you know if there is anyway to test the starter solenoid? Just to confirm if you friend jumped the purple wire on the front SAM onto the battery it would crank?

Also couple other things to add, When I took the lid of the front SAM there was condensation on the lid! The car had this problem intermittently over a few week and would go after a few attempts but now nothing.

Crank and indeed start, drove it to Exeter to buy the ignition switch.
Steve is the expert and I would look at his suggestion first off.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Do you have a test light? Simply pin it into the purple wiring plug on crank, if it lights up you have full drive authorisation an it should crank over. If it doesnt then the starter will have failed.

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
If you have STAR, carry out the tests for drive authorisation in the EIS/EZS, and then check actual values 'star engine' in the engine management system.

Top Bottom