help!! entry into car

mightyseaking

Reaction score
hi ,
firstly let me congratulate every member of this site what a great wealth of information , well done.

Ok let me explain my problem in FULL , way back in march i bought a mercedes e class E200 on a R plate.. i have only used this car a few times due to being suddenly deployed to afghanistan for a few months, i left the 2 keys with a friend so he could run the car once a week , now that im due to return back to the uk he has informed me that the 2 keyfobs dont unlock the car but the red lights on both keyfobs do illuminate, i have told him there is a metal key held within the keyfob to allow him access into the car, which he ensures me he cant turn the lock , my question is is he just being soft and needs to put a little effort into turning the lock (may be scared to snap the key ) or if it was my alarm that drained the battery would it deadlock the doors ? I work on an air station so the vibrations of hovering harriers has been known to set alarms off,

i appologise in advance for not searching the forums but we only have limited bandwidth for our internet in afghanistan. oh also my manual is in german and locked inside the car so he cant even get to that :lol:

once again any information is greatly appreciated
lee

i should mention that i am assuming the battery in the car is dead or should i say hoping the battery in the car is dead :lol:

Last edited:

mercmadjim

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK230k
Hi Lee, welcome to the forums, sorry I am not able to answer your question, but there will be some experts along soon, and they will put you right.

Like I say welcome.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
well I have read many posts where the metal key hasnt worked due to the fact they are so rarely used as we all use the remote. Tell him to get some ptfe spray and work the keys around, hopefully it will free up and work. failing that he is going to have to get a 12v feed onto the car to power up the systems so that the door locks work off the remote. Others may have more accurate information on your model so lets see.

Welcome to the forums, and let us know how you got on.

teddycatkin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W107-SL W124-220te W123-230e W201 2.0
H Lee common prob when left standing ---nothing serious at all --the main battery is flat!---I think its a w210 from the year-so batt is under rear seat you need jumpers and spare battery jack up the front to connect them in engine compatment --once on car will unlock with fobs --then lift back seat and re-move and charge the battery.

OP
M

mightyseaking

Reaction score
H Lee common prob when left standing ---nothing serious at all --the main battery is flat!---I think its a w210 from the year-so batt is under rear seat you need jumpers and spare battery jack up the front to connect them in engine compatment --once on car will unlock with fobs --then lift back seat and re-move and charge the battery.

thanks for the info, im quite technically minded being an aircraft mechanic but is this going to be quite self explanitory to some one thats maybe not , ie will he see exactly where to connect the jump leads ???

OP
M

mightyseaking

Reaction score
hello again and thanks for the usefull info , i have now return from afghan and had a look at the car, like explained the battery was dead and the locks were in need of a good lubricating, tommorow i will just replace the battery and hopefully all will be well. Is there anything i should know before replacing the battery ?
once again thanks for the usefull tips .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You will have to re set the windows, roof and ESP.

Just hold each window switch up in the closed position for 10 sec with the key turned to 2, the same with the roof.

Just start the car and turn the wheel from lock to lock a few times and the ESP lamp will go out, I do this as I drive along

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
…also, just in case, make sure your keys are in your pocket when you connect up the new battery, all the doors can lock the moment you reconnect battery.

Dec

OP
M

mightyseaking

Reaction score
ok thanks television for the usefull information however lol my manual being a german import is in german can you explain why i need to hold the windows buttons up for 10 seconds and also the little infra red things on my door handles i just noticed whilst popping off the door lock cover, this is all new to me, My car also has a little bit of history to it it was owned by the german ambassidor of great britain before me hence the german import.

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
The windows need their memory reseting for the fully closed and fully open positions. This will reenable the one touch facility to fully open or fully close them.

Just hold the button down until you hear a soft click emitted by the window motor. It will have remembered that position.

As well as fully and and fully open positions for the windows, you'll also need to perform similar actions with the sunroof, if you have one fitted.

You'll need to apply power across the starter motor terminals, if you can't get the doors open, hence the need to jack the front up for access.

Last edited:

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
If jump leads are to be used make absolutely certain sure that they are connected the right way round, it is easy to get it wrong and the damage bill will be horrendous even if its only a momentary connection.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
You could always put a couple of shiny magasines under the front wheels when you turn from lock to lock.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Good thinking batman :D:D:p

Not my idea, I copied off this site somewhere. But I have used this method and it works a treat, especially when the battery on my S600 went flat.

Last edited:

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom