HELP HELP HELP

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E240 classic est 2000 2.4
Wifes just put £40 petrol in CLS diesel engine can she drive it one mile home???? fast reply please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
How many litres is that its risky if no diesel in there, even topping up with diesel makes it expensive and still be probably a 1/3rd petrol mix

mattuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c320/2001/3.2 v6
It's risky

Get AA or RAC to drain tank and pour tank of super diesel. Driving with petrol will damage injectors and ££££ bill.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Don't even fire it up!

Then at least its only the tank which will need draining.

Start it up and the whole fuel system will need attention, or worse.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Don't even fire it up!

What he said....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Poor old Peter, he has been gone a long time :D:D maybe looking for a new wife

G

gary272

I put half a tank of petrol in a company TDCI Mondeo a few years back. The service station was a mile away from home so I drove it. :Oops: It was a Sunday so no help available. Next day I drove a 140 mile round trip and then drained the tank. It didn't run particularly well until I drained and put in fresh derv but after that it was fine. Kept going fine till I got a new one at 166k miles.

But I suggest that you don't do what I did. Drain asap.

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, here we are 7 hours later, panic is sort of over. The story goes................realised she,d put petrol in, started the car to move out of other peoples way at the pump !. The car did was approx 1/3 full of diesel so hopefully no petrol got anywhere too bad (fingers crossed).Called me at this point to which I replied "oh dear, never mind". Took 5 minutes to realise I was not capable of dealing with it so what do you do, I called a man Iv'e met once and cried on his shoulder...........THAT WOULD BE CLIVE OF BENZWORKS A big thankyou for being there Clive and I promise when it comes to the better stuff I will be there parked on your doorstep. Anyway ....RAC arrived 2 hours later, by which time I had called a good friend who is a lifelong car mechanic by trade (not MB though) and also a owner of a CLK.he arrivedin his mobile mechanic van and pumped what we now know was about 90% of the petrol out. RAC trailered the car to my friends place of work and he proceeded to take my poor old CLS to pieces, disconnected the fuel pump and bled the pipework.Replaced the fuel filter with a new one from GFS of Lakeside.He even put about 40 ltrs of diesel in it for me.
The engine started perfectly and has not missed a beat, the engine management light did come on but I have since brim filled the tank with fuel and taken the car for a run and the light has reset. I'm hoping thats the end of the story.(apart from the divorce that is). Is there anything else I can do for the car to ensure that no subsequent problems arise?. Oh took some pictures of me in the pit under my poor old CLS, crying like a baby. Will post them when the divorce is through.:(

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How many litres is that its risky if no diesel in there, even topping up with diesel makes it expensive and still be probably a 1/3rd petrol mix

Hi Malcolm,I reckon it was about 30 ltrs of diesel and about the same petrol. As you say a tad expensive fill up but I have said in a previous post that I am ready for some expense with the car.Just diidnt think it would be so soon and inflicted ny my wife of all people.:shock:

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It's risky

Get AA or RAC to drain tank and pour tank of super diesel. Driving with petrol will damage injectors and ££££ bill.

Thanks Mattuk, did do just that (see my post)

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Don't even fire it up!

Do hope you are wrong there. (see my post)

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Poor old Peter, he has been gone a long time :D:D maybe looking for a new wife

You dont know how nearly right you are Malcolm. Thanks for your speedy reply to my first post but I was getting my coat on and halfway out the door by the time it arrived.(it was 17 minutes though! Are you slipping?.):)

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Glad you got the CLS sorted Pete and I would ban the Mrs from using it in future

lol

Clive

eihtur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C180k 3door
My bil did this recently in his ML320cdi (same engine as Peter), drove 5 miles...car conked out. The mechanic drained the fuel, did a bit of cleaning...the car is absolutely fine. All for £150.

So, not necessarily the disaster scenario we are all led to believe.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Its actually a blooming easy thing to solve .. All they need to do is change the shapes of the nozzles ..you cant fit a square peg in a round hole etc ... Well not without major force...

I must admit having 1 diesel and 1 petrol car i constantly check before i press the nozzle to begin the fill ..and even during it... Paranoid? Me? ...

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Glad you got the CLS sorted Pete and I would ban the Mrs from using it in future

lol

Clive

Clive , you are the man............Thanks for talking to me and as I say as soon as it comes to any "scheduled" work to be done, you wouldnt mind doing it for me.:)

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My bil did this recently in his ML320cdi (same engine as Peter), drove 5 miles...car conked out. The mechanic drained the fuel, did a bit of cleaning...the car is absolutely fine. All for £150.

So, not necessarily the disaster scenario we are all led to believe.

It may be I got a great deal with this. As I said my friend put about 40 ltrs of diesel in there for me..............and all FOC. (not exactly true because I did fit a bathroom for him FOC).:)

OP
peterwhayward

peterwhayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Its actually a blooming easy thing to solve .. All they need to do is change the shapes of the nozzles ..you cant fit a square peg in a round hole etc ... Well not without major force...

I must admit having 1 diesel and 1 petrol car i constantly check before i press the nozzle to begin the fill ..and even during it... Paranoid? Me? ...

Not just because of this "little mishap" but I totally agree, i did think that I read something recently along the lines that it is happening. No, as I type this I recall that it is a certain car manufacturer has a system that prevents it......cant remember who now.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom