Help me decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL AMG 5.4 & C63 AMG 6.3
Hi all, I have a SL55AMG, love the style , engine, etc etc etc, but I've decided to change it! I have maximum budget of £40k, but someone said "C63 AMG" I've browsed the web & found many low mileage (& under budget!) C63 AMG's.
My question is: what would you do/buy etc, hope somebody can help! lol
PS: Any help on what faults/issues to look for would also be appreciated. Many thanks in advance

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
Tricky one!

Personally, I love the C63 and would have one in a flash if funds & mileage permitted! Quite simply a thunderous soundtrack.

I guess it depends on how much you value the extra seats over the roadster lifestyle! (I'd be happy with either, although I do miss my old S2000 in this weather!)

If you enjoy an enthusiastic drive, the C63 is probably more usable as it isn't as wide as the SL?

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Parked next to a red one yesterday, stonking looking car, had to hide the bulge in my trousers!
But on the other hand an SL55 has the same effect :)

OP
S

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for..

your replies lads. & I'm still no nearer deciding now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd never use the rear seats as not into carrying moaning passengers when I use right foot!:) On my SL55AMG I rarely have the roof down as spend a lot of time on motorway driving from Aberdeen to Liverpool & it gets a bit breezy! Anyway, thanks again & I'll see what other replies come in.

obduro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55
You obviously fancy a change, so why not test drive the CL63 to get a proper feel for it?

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
C or CL?

If you do a lot of motorway work, and rarely use the drop-top, I'd head for the C63.

I'm not aware of any obvious issues with them (apart from the potential rear tyre wear!). Think AMG engines generally seem to be pretty strong (but you've already got one so probably know that already).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
For just over £40k you can get a bluetec CL, its as fast as your 55 and the fuel consumption is almost twice as good, 2 doors and total luxury.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
From an SL to a C class, you'll hate it. The quality of the cabin, ride, trimmings and fittings in a c class just aren't as pleasant.

For £40k I'd try and sniff out an SL63, a CL class, an S63, E63 or CLS63 or CLS55 and keep the change

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
As the guys have said, for a luxury motorway cruiser,...

You will not get a finer Mercedes (or probably any other brand), than a CL with an AMG badge.

You don't say how old you you are?
I'm only asking because you might see a CL as an older mans car, if so have a drive in one, they are spectacular.

If I could afford one I'd have one now.

Colin.

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
as below...you cannot go to a C-Class from an SL, even if its a C63....perfect car attached. Oh and you got £6k change :)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...ds/cl63/radius/1501/postcode/wa46tx?logcode=p

There are more on the web for less...dependent on option spec and mileage!

From an SL to a C class, you'll hate it. The quality of the cabin, ride, trimmings and fittings in a c class just aren't as pleasant.

For £40k I'd try and sniff out an SL63, a CL class, an S63, E63 or CLS63 or CLS55 and keep the change

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
everyone is different BUT having had an SL once nothing else compares and I am pretty sure I will be back in an SL within a few years.... it's class... I'd go for a newer SL tbh....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
everyone is different BUT having had an SL once nothing else compares and I am pretty sure I will be back in an SL within a few years.... it's class... I'd go for a newer SL tbh....
Do not forget they still had SBC in 2008/9 ;)

OP
S

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi lads......

all I can say is: many many thanks to you all for your idea's! Its given me plenty to think about :) I'll make my mind up within next 2/3 weeks & let you know what I've decided on, I agree though that the luxery cabin in my current SL is going to be hard to beat, I don't like hard seats!!!!
On another note, another person asked how old I was as I might consider a CL to be an "older mans car", I'm 59 (mistake on birth certificate!!!) but in life nothing like it :) so what I buy has to be able to be agile on twisty roads as I do like to open up my SL!
Anyway, thanks again for all your comments.

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
In that case, as someone mentioned above - CLS63! (How could I forget about a CLS???)

A brand new one rumbled by yesterday whilst we were out for lunch - sounded sublime, even at walking pace! I think I may want one actually...

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Do not forget they still had SBC in 2008/9 ;)

I do know what I don't want on my next one ;) .... Have to admit i thought they stopped SBC after 2006 but may have misunderstood.

==========================

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I do know what I don't want on my next one ;) .... Have to admit i thought they stopped SBC after 2006 but may have misunderstood.

==========================

Colin put up a picture of a 2009 SL that had SBC, the sales book says otherwise

OP
S

scottishblue

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Finally I've decided!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

& bought a C63 AMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! & kept my SL55 AMG for good weather! I pick up the car on Wednesday this week, so will post some photo's. Low mileage, under budget & with all options & AMG packs fitted! it sounds & drives great, thanks to everybody for their advice.

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Perfect:D! glad you kept the SL55, let us know how you go...

& bought a C63 AMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! & kept my SL55 AMG for good weather! I pick up the car on Wednesday this week, so will post some photo's. Low mileage, under budget & with all options & AMG packs fitted! it sounds & drives great, thanks to everybody for their advice.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom