HELP! My Mercedes 320 CLK has a water leak in the front passenger footwell

mercman1966

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 320 CLK Avantgarde
I am hoping that someone can help me on this issue.

My Mercedes 320 CLK Avantgarde Convertible has water in the front passenger footwell, which is also finding its way to the rear passenger footwell on the same side.

This is happening after 'rain. I called a mobile Merc mechanic who took the Aircon Filter out from the front of the car. He said that there was a lot of rotten leaves and 'gunge' blocking a drain hole.

He removed the air filter box (which was directly under the bonnet just beneath where the tax disc is in my car). He said that he removed some rotten leaves and gunge which was sitting underneath this box and then put the air filter box back.

I have since let the footwell thoroughly dry out, so I have not put the front carpet back. I noticed today that after more rain, there is more water in the footwell again. The water primarliy comes from the foam cushioning that sits behind a metal plate on the front wall of the footwell (if that makes sense).

I have put a big bath towel in the footwell to soak up this water and change it for a new dry towel when required etc.

As a test, I poured 30 litres of water over the windscreen, over the scuttle plate, over the door and over the whole area at the front of the car. (Passenger side).

I left it fifteen minutes and when I went back to investigate, the footwell was bone dry. So I am now baffled.

Has anyone had a simular problem and if so did they manage to rectify/cure the problem? And if so, how did you do it?

Your advice will be very much appreciated. This is getting a little frustrating to say the least.

Thanks.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
check the water drains in the airbox, open the bonnet and its the box at the rear right hand side.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome you could remove the air intakes and clean them all,,I can give you the details

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Oh, Sorry, Welcome to the foerums, where in Essex are you?

OP
M

mercman1966

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 320 CLK Avantgarde
Hello and welcome you could remove the air intakes and clean them all,,I can give you the details

That would be very kind of you. This problem is very frustrating and a mystery too!

I look forward to hearing from you!

octanejunkie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All sorts of Germans
Check the doors.
Water may be dribbling down the doors and coming in past the seal behind the door card. The water will end up in the same place.
I've had this a few times on various cars. Spent ages looking around the bulkhead, only to discover it was coming in the doors. :rolleyes:
Try the hose/bucket test focusing on the doors.....

Could also be your air con. Drains could be blocked and it could all be coming back in under the dash.

jimgold

Reaction score
Had this on my 230 clk a month ago, trouble is with the foam under the carpet is really dense and is all different shapes to accomodate the channels and wiring on the passenger floor, so therefore it all holds a lot of water thats a real pain to remove. What you can try is hire or buy a small de-humidifier and run it constantly over a few days and nights inside the car. I also blocked off the air intake at the bottom of the windsreen. this seemsto have worked well as it is now bone dry inside, Good luck.

gary1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 2000
I have a CLK320 (2000) and have the exact same problem as described by mercman1966.

I had an AA friend look at the car a week ago. He also removed the air filter box and removed old rotten leaves and gunge which was sitting underneath this box and blocking a drain hole.

I dried the car out and thought the problem was fixed, however the leak was back again yesterday. The water collects at the foam cushioning that sits behind a metal plate on the front wall of the passenger footwell.

As a test, using a hosepipe, I poured water over the windscreen, over the scuttle plate and whole front passenger side of the door. After waiting 10 minutes, I inspected and no water had entered the car.

I am now thinking that it may be blocked drains in the air intake box? I am a novice at all this. Can someone give me instructions of how I clear the drain in the air intake box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can let you have the instructions for clearing the air intake drains and do not forget the main box drain under the car, just above the gearbox passenger side 545 in the picture

B83045000156.0240.gif

gary1234

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 2000
Thanks, that would be very helpful of you. The leak is very frustrating and annoying my other half - she is missing the pleasure of a dry carpet!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I need an Email address,,and you can edit it out later

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Both sent Gary you can edit out your address

dadala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 320; '96 E320
water collecting on floor of 2000 clk 320

I can let you have the instructions for clearing the air intake drains and do not forget the main box drain under the car, just above the gearbox passenger side 545 in the picture

B83045000156.0240.gif

I also have a 2000 clk 320 with water collecting on the floor of the driver's side (left side - in US). Would you also please provide me (at danellis@cox.net) with the instructions also?

Thank you, dadala

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Details sent and welcome to the forum

sirswift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabrio 2001
Leak on drivers side too!

I also have a 2000 clk 320 with water collecting on the floor of the driver's side (left side - in US). Would you also please provide me (at danellis@cox.net) with the instructions also?

Thank you, dadala

Hi,

I have the same driver side leak. I fixed this my placing some silicone in a hole in the engine compartment. This all started after my brake booster was replaced. I lifted my hood back all the way to the windsheild (done by pressing clip on passenger side hinge so it goes back an extra 15 degrees) so I could get a better look at the engine compartment where the brake booster is. I did the running water down the windsheild, engine compartment, etc. Leaked on all. I then noticed this small hole in the engine compartment between the brake booster and the center of the car. There are a few holes in there with grommets in place. There was one hole without a grommet and shure enough when I directed some red dyed water it ran through into the drivers footwell. I placed a dab of silicone over this hole and the leak stopped. The question is; should there be a grommet in the whold and it came out when the dealer performed the brake booster work or did debris get into the hole and clog it up. If the latter, how do I get underneath to clean it out. BTW, this is not a reed valve clog from the windscreen. See my pictures. Pix 1. Screw driver indicates where water rushes in. Pix 2. Hole is below white tag. Pix 3. Hole is seen with silicone and next to hole with grommet. This hole must be used to drain off water from this compartment as now it sits with water after covering it up.

All the best!

Attachments

• IMG_4309.jpg
    IMG_4309.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_4310.jpg
    IMG_4310.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_4325.jpg
    IMG_4325.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 297

dadala

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 CLK 320; '96 E320
water collector drain problem -2000 CLK 320

check the water drains in the airbox, open the bonnet and its the box at the rear right hand side.

Could you give me directions on how to check the drains without taking everything apart? Also is there a way to run something throught the drains to clear them if they are blocked?

Thanks,
dadala
danellis@cox.net
2000 CLK 320

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You can see where the drains are in the drawings,, strimmer cord is safe, and you can use this under the car on the main box drain

sirswift

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabrio 2001
My airbox is fine...

dadala,

My air box drains are clear; those are the rubber flaps (reed valves) under the windscreen. There are two, one on the pass side and the other in the center right over the transmission. When I pour water over the windscreen it does not leak. When I pour water directly into the engine compartment over the hole you see in my picture, it floods the driver’s foot well. Water gets into that area when it runs down the driver’s side wind shield; anything that does not get caught by the windscreen runs into the engine compartment.

lt4vette

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a leak in the passenger footwell in my 2000 CLK320. I'm not familiar enough with the use of this forum - I can't see the drawings Television refers to on the 26-4, although I can see pictures from Sirswift on the same date - can someone enlighten me? In any case, my issue is trying to find the drain holes so I can check them, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom