Help Needed! '80s Mercedes Fan venturing into the '90s

Stefano Bellelli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL/1987
Greetings everyone,

I'm new here as I need some help and advice on a car I'm currently looking at: 1997 W140 S280 with 59K on the clock. It looks nice, with minor blemishes on the front wings and an (almost) immaculate interior.
I currently have a 1987 R107 300SL, a 1990 C126 500SEC, and a 1993 A124 320CE Convertible, all with well over 100K on the clock and they never miss a beat. I'm worried about the horror stories of MB's 1990s reliability problems...
I had the W140 mechanically inspected yesterday, and I would like to receive expert opinions on the following problems highlighted in the report (I've copied the full report, my concern are in bold):
- Rubber floor drain bung missing
- Bottom of rear road springs corroded
- Parktronic inoperative - Fault code present for frotn left middle sensor
- Slight wiper rubber squeak when operated
- Remote batteries flat / low on power
- Slightly lumpy idle - Fault codes present for missfire (Requires further investigation)
- O/S mirror folding hinge broken and N/S mirror not folding correctly
- Cigarette light socket charging but not holding securely
- Boot soft close inoperative - Fault code present for PSG air demand too high (Would require further diagnosis)
- Slight condensation in N/S headlight - Clears after vehicle ran for short period of time
- O/S/F wheel bearing has play - Can be adjusted
- All tyres have slight defect in side wall (Indentation) - Would not be MOT failure
- Rear bake discs shailig on outer radius
- Slight oil leak from O/S/F of head - Would require further investigation
- Both differential output seals leaking
- Non genuine rear silencer fitted
- Metal brake and fuel lines have very slight corrosion - Advise to clean and grease
- Various parts of the body floor have very light corrosion
- Air conditioning slow to reach temperature and fault code present for refrigerant level. Customer advised to have air conditioning gas recharged as first line of repair

Has anyone experienced the same problems on a W140? Could they be sign of something horrible lurking in the background?

Any thoughts/advice much welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Stef

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Stef
Sorry no expert on 90’s Mercs but whole load of mainly minor issues really I guess suggests a vehicle which has been not so well cared for day to day, which would I guess be my concern. Depends if you’re buying at a cheap price as a ‘fixer upper’?
Rob Parker on here has a huge amount of experience with similar cars so hopefully he’ll see this and advise better

OP
S

Stefano Bellelli

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL/1987
Hi John

Thanks for the prompt response. The car is offered for sale at £4K, and I’ve noticed a few for sale with twice the mileage for twice the price.

The service history is good, and it’s passed all MOT (albeit with the odd advisory) since 2006. So, for what it is, I’d say it’s been well(ish) looked after as I personally wouldn’t have spent 1000s on a car worth so little.

I do appreciate your thoughts and will beat them in mind.

Cheers

Top Bottom