Help on error code P01006 - Sensor 1 Has A Malfunction Algorithm Fault

Jackrratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2013/
Hi, hope I'm posting in the right place, first time, so Hi:)

Can anyone help me diagnose an issue I'm having with my 2013 C220 > :)

Driving home I noticed my car had no power beyond the 3000rpm range. The engine light was also on. I noticed that the intake intercooler pipe was split (driver side) and assumed this was giving the code P0101 on my home reader. At a silly cost of £300 to replace the pipe at a local garage, I got my car back BUT still no power! The garage had replaced the pipe, cleaned the mass air flow sensor and since suggested I now need to replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor!

Before I spend another £350 on a Mass Air Flow Sensor (cheapest I could find online), I would like to know what this code means as very little is online....

P010106 Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 Has A Malfunction Algorithm Fault.

This is the code the garage said my car was now giving.

Thanks in advance.

Jack

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
We have dealt with this fault a couple of times, i'll check when I'm back in work.

OP
J

Jackrratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2013/
We have dealt with this fault a couple of times, i'll check when I'm back in work.

Thanks, any help would be very much appreciated, searching online brings few results. I'm hesitant to spend any more money until I've confirmed the fault.

OP
J

Jackrratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2013/

I hope you don't mind but I'm looking at this and in case it helps I have included 2 sets of photos of the live data, idle and 3000rpm, does this look right? any update on the p010106 code? :)

> I've added updated photos of live data below

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Those coolant temperatures look too low to give much meaningful data (the engine should be at normal temp).

OP
J

Jackrratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2013/
running car for 10 - mins idle

1.jpg 2.jpg

3000rpm

4.jpg 5.jpg

Driving the car and it pulls away ok up to 3000rpm however after 30mph you can put your foot down and very slowly makes it 3000 rpm with no power. I can hear the turbo tho at normal, but it's like something is stopping it from going beyond 3000rpm. I reset the code but the engine light comes back on after 10 mins of driving. Intercooler pipe was replaced by a local garage and my last service 2 weeks ago I had my air filter replaced.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 9
OP
J

Jackrratt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2013/
Did you get a chance to check? thanks

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
that code
P010106
and those words
Algorithm Faults
are not Mercedes error codes, thus the data and the other elements of the fault code info you have are not reliable information to go on...

the car is in "limp mode" a restricted performance condition.... designed to get you home (or more correctly to the nearest garage) so proper diagnosis and rectification can be undertaken before potential drivetrain damage occurs

Yes MAF sensors go wrong, but so do many other things.

P0100 Hot-film mass-air sensor ME-SFI –
P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0104 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Intermittent
P0105 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Malfunction
P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0106 Pressure sensor ME-SFI Intake manifold pressure
P0107 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input

Last edited:

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
That fault does come up on star, can’t remember code number but definitely alogorithm fault. We had one that appeared with a split boost hose but didn’t affect performance when hose was changed. There isn’t a definite straight answer to cure, one was solved with a software update and one had a new air mass.

Tan Truong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cdi 2013 2.1 turbo deisel
Hi Just joined up.

My 2013 E220 CDI just came up with the same code and error message P010106 Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 Has A Malfunction Algorithm Fault. Just wondering if you fixed the issue and what did you do to fix it?

Would appreciate any help i can.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
I too have since seen this fault many times. Its algorithm is basically the air pressure swirl through the engine. As Ian has said earlier, its down to an air leak in the engine. A split hose, a snapped inlet manifold bolt, something like that.

Tan Truong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the advice. I'll search around the Mass Air flow sensor to see if there is any leakage. I still would love so hear others that have had the same fault and where they found the fault.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
when replacing the hose, check to see if anything else was disturbed/dislodged in the pipe replacement process ,it times the process of dealing with one issue inadvertently creates another...

Tan Truong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check for leakage over the weekend but can't find anything. Cleared the code but it came back straight away. Should i go ahead a buy the Mass Air flow sensor or is there a way to test if the sensor is not functioning properly?
I have also read that a blocked PDF can also caused this. My car has hit 73,000 klm. I have attached the image of the fault from my scanner.

Attachments

• P010106.jpg
    P010106.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 28

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If you look at live data you can see the sensor output. Verify it has a non 0 value when the engine is running and that it changes with RPM.

Gary preston

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220
Hi, hope I'm posting in the right place, first time, so Hi:)

Can anyone help me diagnose an issue I'm having with my 2013 C220 > :)

Driving home I noticed my car had no power beyond the 3000rpm range. The engine light was also on. I noticed that the intake intercooler pipe was split (driver side) and assumed this was giving the code P0101 on my home reader. At a silly cost of £300 to replace the pipe at a local garage, I got my car back BUT still no power! The garage had replaced the pipe, cleaned the mass air flow sensor and since suggested I now need to replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor!

Before I spend another £350 on a Mass Air Flow Sensor (cheapest I could find online), I would like to know what this code means as very little is online....

P010106 Mass Air Flow Sensor 1 Has A Malfunction Algorithm Fault.

This is the code the garage said my car was now giving.

Thanks in advance.

Jack
Hi

Hi there
running car for 10 - mins idle

View attachment 39141 View attachment 39142

3000rpm

View attachment 39144 View attachment 39145

Driving the car and it pulls away ok up to 3000rpm however after 30mph you can put your foot down and very slowly makes it 3000 rpm with no power. I can hear the turbo tho at normal, but it's like something is stopping it from going beyond 3000rpm. I reset the code but the engine light comes back on after 10 mins of driving. Intercooler pipe was replaced by a local garage and my last service 2 weeks ago I had my air filter replaced.
can you help me with this fault you had I’ve got the same problem replaced the pipe now this code replaced the maf sensor still same code is there a reset or some thing many thanks

Tan Truong

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Jack,

I had the exact same issue and replaced the intercooler pipe and it fixed the problem. Your car is currently in limp mode so once you have replaced the pipe you must clear the error code with your scanner. I hope this help. I also bought an air Flow Sensor because of a mate mechanic advice and its sitting in my garage doing nothing at the moment.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
Star's contributions always seem to be very specific and correct, in his post a while back

but definitely alogorithm fault. We had one that appeared with a split boost hose but didn’t affect performance when hose was changed. There isn’t a definite straight answer to cure, one was solved with a software update and one had a new air mass.

I would suggest an algorithm fault is an unusual term indicating the software has lost the plot (which may now be present as a result of other faults). I would image putting less bad software in to the mix is a great starting point to resolve the issue correctly. It might even allow the diagnostics to give you a sensible error code you can do something with

Avish

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
311cdi sprinter
Star's contributions always seem to be very specific and correct, in his post a while back

but definitely alogorithm fault. We had one that appeared with a split boost hose but didn’t affect performance when hose was changed. There isn’t a definite straight answer to cure, one was solved with a software update and one had a new air mass.

I would suggest an algorithm fault is an unusual term indicating the software has lost the plot (which may now be present as a result of other faults). I would image putting less bad software in to the mix is a great starting point to resolve the issue correctly. It might even allow the diagnostics to give you a sensible error code you can do something with
P0101 is related to air flow sensor fault the 06 is a variation In the fault code. Also had two vehicles same fault code . Air flow sensor and O2 sensor replaced but fault remains

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom