Help please!!! I am struggling now

AndreasM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi 2003 Avantgarde
Hi all,

May I describe my problems and where I am at.

Serious vibration from 1500rpm-2500rpm (40mph-90mph)

Got new tyres, discs and pads all round, listen to past advise and did a glycol test which came back fine therefore nothing wrong there(had a Behr rad not a Valeo), checked prop shaft and changed center bearing as there was excessive play there. Checked also prop bushes either end and they are fine.

Still the problem persists. Have been told by one Merc dealer (been to 3) that my problem is the torque convertor. I am not a mechanic but surely what lead him to this theory, as I know he in the time given could not have gone in to actually find out, was a possible glycol contamination. And Mercs then quoted me 1000quid part only and probably 4-5 hours labour.

I am thinking if the Glycol test came back fine is this still a possibilty? This was before i did the glycol test. Am I being conned, even though research shows me i can get a torque convertor for 300 quid.

My mechanic now thinks it may be the drive shaft.

Me I am confused to the max and now a bit disheartened towards the whole matter and Mercs themselves.

Anything? Anyone? Please

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is it possible that the car had a glycol fault before you bought it, and the rad was changed, and not the converter.

The glycol problem only applies when driving in top gear and accelerating gently, and a humming or droning sound is there

Lock the car into 4th and try it.

Do you feel this vibration through the car or the steering

OP
A

AndreasM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi 2003 Avantgarde
i can feel the vibration through the car not the steering. On the locking it in 4th i will try that at the earliest i can can get out.

With regard to the rad, i am assuming as they used to use Behr rads and then changed to Valeo, and i have a Behr, i assumed that it has not been changed ever. I also have gone through the extensive Merc history of the car and found no changed rad or other faults whatsoever of this sort. All the history points to mere servicing and the usual expences that go with general wear and tear. In fact its clean extensive Merc history was one of the reasons I bought the car.

Its going onto a ramp today to run and see if they can visually see the location of the vibration.

Finally, considering the cost of a torque convertor form Mercs, is it advisable still to go with a MB conv or can i go for a cheaper non MB one.

Many thks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There is no such thing as a non MB one,,it is the labour cost that you can save on

OP
A

AndreasM

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi 2003 Avantgarde
I feel really stupid now then.

So how is it that mercs want 1000 part only and i sourced one at 300, fortunately i have a mechanic that works for free, so labour is not an issue.

MB are a rip off basically and i agree with past threads where members have pointed out that they are well over charging and diagnosing problems to earn more money.

Reaction score
Have the rear wheels been balanced if not they will set up a body vibration ie dash board shaking etc worth a try :)

rich.g.williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Kompressor Coupe 2003
if the vibration is coming from the torque converter (TC) its frequency will depend upon engine RPM (assuming the TC is locking somewhat)

if the vibration is coming from the prop shafts (drive shafts) being unbalanced its frequency will depend exactly upon road speed it will tend to be there going down hill as well as uphill or even if you are coasting (not a good idea with an automatic)

so trying it in 5th 4th and even 3rd gear is a good idea, note the engine RPM range over which vibration occurs in each gear that way you will be able to decide whether its TC or prop shaft.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Is it possible that the car had a glycol fault before you bought it, and the rad was changed, and not the converter.

The glycol problem only applies when driving in top gear and accelerating gently, and a humming or droning sound is there

Lock the car into 4th and try it.

Do you feel this vibration through the car or the steering

If the torque converter is the problem, it can be in 3rd, 4th and top. Whenever the lock up clutch is engaged, sometimes its difficult to get it but normally under slight load up a slope will do. It can also be checked by taking the lock up clutch out of the equation with a star once you know when it happens.

giuseppe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220Cdi avantgaurde 2001
vibrations

my vibration problem was with the wheel balance, they placed the weights they used on the outer rims, instead of placing them on the inner circumferance of the wheel near the centre, had it done to all four wheels, cured the vibration i had around 60--80 mph, I did feel it through steering wheel,still do sometimes, wonder if my ball joints need looking at.

wonder if you have the same problem ???

the problems you have with automatics, glad i have a manual.

Alan Mustard

Reaction score
Website
www.wearsidemercedesbenz.co.uk
Your Mercedes
C Class
Hi, like star says you can take the diagnostic machine out in the vehicle and temporarilly disable the lock up clutch to verify if the noise then disappears. I suspect it will be the torque converter. Unfortunately it was common on 211's.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The wording in the fault is "a humming or droning when pulling lightly in top at an engine RPM of between 1500 and 2400rpm"

Now under this condition the converter has not locked.

If the converter was or had locked there could be no humming or droning as the torque converter is all locked together.
Since the glycol raises the faces of the clutch faces, it is these clutches that a touching the face plates that make the noise when it is not locked up.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Hi all,

May I describe my problems and where I am at.

Serious vibration from 1500rpm-2500rpm (40mph-90mph)

Got new tyres, discs and pads all round, listen to past advise and did a glycol test which came back fine therefore nothing wrong there(had a Behr rad not a Valeo), checked prop shaft and changed center bearing as there was excessive play there. Checked also prop bushes either end and they are fine.

Still the problem persists. Have been told by one Merc dealer (been to 3) that my problem is the torque convertor. I am not a mechanic but surely what lead him to this theory, as I know he in the time given could not have gone in to actually find out, was a possible glycol contamination. And Mercs then quoted me 1000quid part only and probably 4-5 hours labour.

I am thinking if the Glycol test came back fine is this still a possibilty? This was before i did the glycol test. Am I being conned, even though research shows me i can get a torque convertor for 300 quid.

My mechanic now thinks it may be the drive shaft.

Me I am confused to the max and now a bit disheartened towards the whole matter and Mercs themselves.

Anything? Anyone? Please

Well it depends on how serious the vibration is, it could be just the gearbox changing into top too early, causing the engine to labour. Another possibility is the rear gearbox mount or engine mounts. What we have to find out is if its a judder or vibration. If it works out to be your toque convertor, we have the majority of ours rebuilt with no problems at a fraction of the cost of a MB replacement.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom