Help regarding fuel injectors

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
I bought my 55 plate S320 cdi knowing that it needed a bit of work to make it roadworthy again, there was a number plate light out that I have determined is a wiring fault, the exhaust is blowing slightly and the interior is very grubby. It was blowing stinky diesel smoke and knocking slightly so I knew that an injector or two was probably in need of replacement, and it has an EL.Power EPC fault which could be injector / fuel pressure related.

With the better spring weather upon us I thought I’d better get the bonnet up and have a look at the injectors, with paper and pencil I took down the part numbers on the injectors. I was initially happy to find that I didn’t have any numbers in circles so that meant I didn’t have to have any replacement injectors coded to the car. This happiness soon disappeared when I looked up my car on the epc and found that the injectors that are fitted are for an earlier model S Class and other Mercedes models, the Mercedes part number of the injectors that are fitted is A6130700587 and the Bosch number is 0445110096 but should be A6480700287 and 0445110176.

My meagre understanding is, and I am prepared to be proved wrong, is that the later facelifted cars like mine had a higher fuel operating pressure compared to the older cars and this leads me to believe that’s why the injectors currently fitted are malfunctioning. The current symptoms suggests that one or more injectors are leaking down too much and causing the car to smoke and run a bit uneven.

My question is to the collective wisdom on this fine forum is, are the injectors that are currently fitted suitable for my model and year? If so I’ll get them all refurbished but if not then I’ll have to start looking around for replacements.

I once read a thread somewhere on the Internet that had a list of injector part numbers that were suitable for W220s of all years but for the life of me I can’t find it again, but what I do remember from that thread was some injectors on that list started with A613.

Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards

Last edited:
OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
You are right they do supercede the correct injectors as per the epc as I mentioned. My inquiry was as to the suitability of the ones currently fitted.

As you know injectors ain’t cheap and it looks like I’ll need 6 therefore if I can get away with refurbishing the fitted injectors then all will be good and well especially with my missus who said HOW MUCH when I told her the price of replacing all 6.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
The engine wouldn't run if the injectors weren't correct, or at least properly at any rate. The last time I saw an incorrect injector fitted to a car it blew a hole in the top of the piston.

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
Oh happy days........

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
A6130700587 A6130700387 A6130700187 are compatible between each other and they are surely for OM613 engine... just order one from ebay.de. I am not sure OM648 engine. Yes you are right you have higher pressure fuel system (different pump, primer pump etc) but not sure if it uses still same injectors. If ALL current injectors are A613... I assume they are ok, just one worn too much. As above if injector makes bad noise and exhaust gas smell unburnt fuel it is great danger that piston will be damaged. On the otehr hand black smoke is usually pointing problems in charge pressure...

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
I think I’ll have to change them all to the OM648 engine spec just to be sure. There is no piston damage I’m sure of that as there is no back pressure through the oil filler cap or anywhere else, so might be lucky in that respect. So the injectors I have are for the OM613 engine as I suspected, so to be safe no more engine running until all are changed.

Can’t believe what some people do to their cars though......

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
Well the new injectors turned up today and I’m just waiting on the bolts and copper washers before I can get started on the swap out.

I’ll keep the thread updated as I get on with it.

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
Oh ha ha yes having lots of fun.

Battery flat this morning, found that the key doesn’t open the front door and the boot, that has been opening on the key all week, decided all on it’s own that it won’t open on the key either.

So yes lots and lots of fun.

How’s life with you my old mate?

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
What? Back or front

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
both , there is a point as you turn the safety key where you have to tug the handle sharply pal , as for the boot , if it has soft close ? try leaning on it and then turn the key ! I had this the other week after the soft close had a paddy and refused to let me in o_O

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
Ok, it does have soft close so I’ll give it a go by sitting on the damned thing. It’s odd because the boot key has been fine all week.

The drivers door is a different matter as the key won’t turn at all, so it looks like the barrel has been swapped out in the past or it’s just stuck tight and needs a bit of penetrating fluid.

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
First day with a bit of sun as well. Rest of the week forecast rain..........

New battery fitted so must have a drain somewhere, not going well is it she’s fighting me all the way.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
got 2 batteries pal , one in the boot behind the panel and the obvs one , incase you wernt aware

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
Where’s the other one?

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
left hand engine bay , near the w.screen , one in the boot is behind the verticle carpet boot liner against the back seat I think that was one is for the consumers like central locking , the other one pretty much just starts the car pal

OP
UKMarine

UKMarine

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S320 L cdi
Cheers Si, I’ll have a look when or if I can get into the ****** thing....

Top Bottom