HELP! Respray or repair??

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
slightly tangential ask, but is nano paint unique to mercedes or do other brands use it?

I'm a little concerned about how unrepairable damage to it seems to be.

It is used by some other brands and one must remember that is is ceramic paint fired on at a very high temp and done once the shell was built. this finish cannot be done once the car is built as car ovens only get to about 40c. So a stone or other object hits the paint and it splinters, just like a china object.

If you never want a repair to show then the edges on the hole have to be machine feathered as all paint applied in the normal way shrinks as it dries and will pull back out of the hole and always show.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
You cannot T cut nano paint with much effect at all, and there is no way that it can be blended

Malcolm tis never often I would disagree with you..but even diamonds can be polished and mirror finished....I was talking about Tcutting away the black mark on top of the paint, as to me it looks like the paint isn't broken.. it is what I would do first, then if the paint is chipped or broken a smart repair can be done..even over MB ceramic paint..
You have to remember that the nano paint technology is 90% hype..It is the brainchild of some techo guy who thot' it was a good idea to make a paint finish harder...
Nissan self healing paint technology is a far superior product..
If a smart repair could not be done, then in essence a complete panel respray wouldn't adhere to the hard finish either...
The only downside to a smart repair is that it needs to be waxed over 2 or 3 times and never polised with abrasives....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm tis never often I would disagree with you..but even diamonds can be polished and mirror finished....I was talking about Tcutting away the black mark on top of the paint, as to me it looks like the paint isn't broken.. it is what I would do first, then if the paint is chipped or broken a smart repair can be done..even over MB ceramic paint..
You have to remember that the nano paint technology is 90% hype..It is the brainchild of some techo guy who thot' it was a good idea to make a paint finish harder...
Nissan self healing paint technology is a far superior product..
If a smart repair could not be done, then in essence a complete panel respray wouldn't adhere to the hard finish either...
The only downside to a smart repair is that it needs to be waxed over 2 or 3 times and never polised with abrasives....

I would never want to disagree with you :D:D

It just looks chipped to me, if there is no hole in the paint then excellent :D:D

N

npuk

Searching google for info on mercedes nano paint this nano paint is just a nano clear coat. Are you sure its ceramic paint?

david arthur

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W211 E200
Hi all,
and a very happy new year to all members,

I once had a brand new Mitsubishi Elegance, the very next day i proudly drove it to Sutton on Sea for the weekend. The worst idea i ever had, the next day late in the afternoon, it was like the world had come to an end.

It was only the second time in my life, that i have witnessed a hail storm like it, they were truly golf ball sized, my new Metallic blue with gold overrider's
Mitsubishi looked like a right off.

And this was apparent, even though i risked life and limb by putting a duvet on the roof and bonnet, one of those golf ball sized hail stones on your head and you would have been dead.

When i took the duvets of the car i just had tears in my eyes, the dents were as big as 50p coins all over the roof, and bonnet, even on hard edges, of tops of doors, and roof edges. Any way, the moment i arrived home, i rang a number of paint-less dent removal firms.

Only one was prepared to have a go, and that was Dent master, he said he would have ago on the bonnet first to see how they came out, two hours later and you could not see where they had been, and no paint broken.

He came back the next day, and took the roof lining down, so he could get at the dents there, my help consisted of supplying copious amounts of orange juice in temperatures in the 80s he did a fabulous job, i sold it a week later Mercedes who took it in part ex did not notice a thing.

So my advice would be, let Dent master have a go, it will not cost the earth, a body shop will want to fill the dent. where Dent master will take it out, and then you could see wether or not it will buff out.

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
My story is not as bad as david arthurs -

Also a very happy new year to everyone

I had a less than year old Mercedes C180k Avantgarde in Cubanite Silver (a goldy silver), it was one of the last ones of that shape (57 reg), and I absolutely adored it, I bought it 6 months old from a Mercedes dealer in Manchester.

My mum took it to go pick up my nephew from his school, it was when waiting for my nephew that another child decided to swing him P.E bag round continuously until it hit the rear, passenger door causing a big dent (he had strong football boots!).

I couldn't exactly sue him, however we did get in contact with the school about this, who got in contact with his mother. She arrived at the school the next day and I drove the car to pick my nephew up once more (this time parking away from the children).

She looked at the dent, kept on saying it wasn't that bad, I just said, if it isn't that bad why have I had a quote of £230?

She then said to me, I do not believe you use this car to pick your nephew up in? WHAT?
I just said, 'calm down love, its not a Bentley, its just a C-class'.

In the end she agreed to have it repaired by a professional company of her choice, and I agreed as I did go to Mercedes to get a quote!

The work was carried out by Dent Devils who came to my door, and did an incredibly good job, they also said that they fix dents for the Mercedes dealer I went to for the quote! The nice man even got rid of the scratch on the dent!

I highly recommend Dent Devils, they are very good on pricing also!

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
The lesson there is you shouldn't molly coddle kids and Chauffeur them to school.
That's why so many either grow up jealous and bitter or become spoilt brats and rebel.
The kid swinging the bag already has.

Anyway pleased you sorted it. I wasnt so lucky.
Had a women stop at an angle in her car right behind me (to pick up her kid from the sports center, funnily enough) as i was reversing up a small slope in a large 4x4. Lucky i saw her in time but not before creasing her 1/4 panel. And cost £250 to spare the statistic.
No majic repairs on that one :(

Attachments

• stupid women drivers.jpg
    stupid women drivers.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 6

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
The rule for repair when using 'dent repair experts' is:-

As long as the

• Paint is not broken the dent is repairable

•but only if there is no structural strengthening directly behind the panel

• it is sometimes possible to drill a small hole in the strengthening to give access

• Aluminium is not as easy as steel to remove dents from and a lot of 'dent repairers' will not touch it.

• As with all work being carried out on your vehicle it is worth getting recommended repairers by asking around. Your MB workshop manager should be able to give you a recommendation.

Not all 'dent experts' are the same.

....................this finish cannot be done once the car is built as car ovens only get to about 40c....................

I was under the impression the oven temperature was 80°C

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not as high as 80c John, the plastic components would not like it very much, maybe 50c I will ask them again.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
I was speaking to my painter two weeks ago and he had just switched off his oven and when I asked about the temperature he said he set it to 80°C

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK I was wrong,, it depends on the paint, 80c is the max allowable, 60c to 70c is more average

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
So my advice would be, let Dent master have a go, it will not cost the earth, a body shop will want to fill the dent. where Dent master will take it out, and then you could see wether or not it will buff out.

Dent devils/masters are great. I had them do some work on my E a few years ago - it's amazing so see what they can achieve. But - PROVIDED there's no paint damage. The moment the paint is broken, smart repairs are a non starter if you want a lasting repair.

A good bodyshop will make the problem go away and the cost, provided they know it's you paying and not an insurer, and you're not going through a dealer should be £200-£300 for cash.
I had the bonnet and bumper resprayed on my E last summer to remove 100,000 miles of stone chips. It was starting to look like someone had blasted it with a shotgun. Plus a small shopping dint and scratch in the front wing, both front wings resprayed to blend in, and a general tidy up of several small marks I wasn't even aware of, cost me £550 all in. This involved removing the bumper amongst other things so, a simple bonnet repair should be half that or less.
Anything less is going to show.

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
The lesson there is you shouldn't molly coddle kids and Chauffeur them to school.
That's why so many either grow up jealous and bitter or become spoilt brats and rebel.
The kid swinging the bag already has.

Anyway pleased you sorted it. I wasnt so lucky.
Had a women stop at an angle in her car right behind me (to pick up her kid from the sports center, funnily enough) as i was reversing up a small slope in a large 4x4. Lucky i saw her in time but not before creasing her 1/4 panel. And cost £250 to spare the statistic.
No majic repairs on that one :(

You are absolutely right, I have stopped chauffeuring my nephew now, and his mum and me have told him to go on the bus, as all his friends do so.

What really confused me, is that the woman refused to believe that I picked him up in the C-class? I just dont understand, I know a man who drops his kid off in his nice new Le-mans Red SLS AMG!

I am very sorry to hear about your 'incident', but things like that happen to us all, its happened to me and my family more than a handful of times! Its just one of pleasures of motoring!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom