HELP! Respray or repair??

rayman86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 coupe 125 edition
Hi and happy new year to you all first of all!

I just need anyone's helpful advice if possible on a situation i've unfortunately found myself in.

Yesterday I noticed a small dent and scratch in the paintwork right down to the underlying metal on the bonnet of my brand new C350
It seems to have come from a loose tile from the roof of my house chipping away in the bad weather overtime and has fallen flat on the bonnet as can be seen in the pics below.

The car is in Diamond White so not so sure it'll be easy to repair both the dent and scratch with just a repair but I haven't got a clue what would be the best road to go down, i.e. repair V respray and what either is likely to cost??

Many thanks to anyone who can help a very sad MB owner!

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 84
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 74
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 71

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sadly the dent makes any touch up impossible to hide, and a bonnet respray will be required, sure one can drop some paint in the mark, but the dent will still be there.

Are you not covered from your household insurance for this.

N

npuk

Smart repairs on bonnets never look right and most good places wont do it. Get it done properly especially as the car is new.

I know a bodyshop in Wembley that do repairs for the local MB dealer, PM if you want their details.

Jodel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 W211 E280 CDI Avantgarde Auto
My neighbour suffered a similar fate with his Honda Civic, but in his case some friendly person a stuck a chisel through the bonnet!

Because the car was a few years old, he went down the smart repair route and actually got a very good result as the repair is virtually undetectable. He did price up the job at a bodyshop and I think he was quoted circa £800 for a bonnet respray versus £200ish for the smart repair.

In your case with a brand new MB, I think I'd bite the bullet and go to a bodyshop.

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB
Ouch, on a brand new car that must be gut wrenching. And at the start of a new year. My commiserations.

The dent is the worst problem. Will need filler whoever does it.
Can you live with that.
Personally id leave it, until i had the rogue traders in to repair the roof first.
And park further back for now.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was once the proud owner of an almost new MK10 Jag,, went to see a friend and blew the horn, then watched as a tile slid down from the roof smack into the middle of the bonnet :(

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Once gave a goat to a friend. When I went round to see him (the friend) the goat recognized my van and jumped on the bonnet! Fortunately, the van was already blitzed, so one more dent didn't matter.

You could always price up a new bonnet before going for the repair and spray route. Or do it the farmers way - wait till you've collected a few more dents before getting them all sorted at the same time!

Baz

fozzymandeus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL350
Are you sure that has gone right through the clearcoat?

You might be in luck, see what cutting the area with compound achieves. That black appearance to the dent looks like the remnants of the roof tile to me, rather than pierced lacquer/colour coat. (why would there be any black in any of that?)

If it isnt paint penetrated, then you could do a paintless dent removal - they are easiest in the middle of big panels far awage from swage lines.

Good luck.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you sure that has gone right through the clearcoat?

You might be in luck, see what cutting the area with compound achieves. That black appearance to the dent looks like the remnants of the roof tile to me, rather than pierced lacquer/colour coat. (why would there be any black in any of that?)

If it isnt paint penetrated, then you could do a paintless dent removal - they are easiest in the middle of big panels far awage from swage lines.

Good luck.

This is Nano ceramic paint fired on, so it splinters, and it has leaving very sharp edges around the hole.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh. Yuck. That's tough.:(

The paint is supposed to be but it does make filling harder and all holes must have the edge feathered or it will show for ever more

OP
R

rayman86

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 coupe 125 edition
thanks for all of your reply guys, I think i'm going to take it down to MB Slough where I bought it and get the full whack job done. It's going to hurt the wallet but I suppose it's one of those things *sigh*.

Going to get the bloomin' roof fixed first though!

Also, I would go through the house insurance but am worried what it'll do for my premiums when it's time for renewal..It may be cheaper to do this privately than to pay the extortionate rise in premium this time next year.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
thanks for all of your reply guys, I think i'm going to take it down to MB Slough where I bought it and get the full whack job done. It's going to hurt the wallet but I suppose it's one of those things *sigh*.

Also, I would go through the house insurance but am worried what it'll do for my premiums when it's time for renewal..It may be cheaper to do this privately than to pay the extortionate rise in premium this time next year.

You are looking at £400 ish for that bonnet, there is no point in going to MB with this, they do not do their own painting, they will farm it out and earn from you. Ask them who they use by all means.

Would you home premium increase by that much, you could ask

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
There are a few Mercedes Bodyshops, but most Dealers just double up on the price they get charged, check first.

MERCSPORT

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 CLS 350 CDI Grand Edition
There is a mobile company called Dent Devils, why dont you try them?

They seem to be all over the UK, and last time I checked, Mercedes-Benz Of Bedford used them for any dents on their cars

http://www.dentdevils.co.uk/index.htm

cleverdicky

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB

LOL

Im the same, never claim for things i should. Had a radiator fall of the wall once. Wrecked the carpet with water leak and stinking inhibitor. I repaired myself and bought new carpet. :confused: Mad.

But house insurance (contents) is still quite cheap. And easy to switch. In your case def worth it. Especially as it happened during recent storm. Didn't it ;)

johno2004

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK32 AMG
I had something simular happen to my wifes car and i claimed for the damage on my house buildings insurance as it was a ridge tile from house that caused the damage, they paid up no problem and only a £50 excess and premium went up only a nominal amount a few £ a month so that could just have been inflation rise. Its a lot better than claiming on car insurance and probally seeing a 75% increase over 5 Years.

Just a thought its worth ringing them and explaining what happened, and you can get a quote from MB submit it and job done.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I have to agree here with the t cut of that area first.. to me it looks like that paint hasnt been broken...if that will polish out then the local dent guy can leave your bonnet in A1 condition.....
failing that and going down the other route..ie repair...it is white and one of the easiest colours to blend so a properly done smart repair would be the order of the day for me..
Oh and as far as I'm aware your house insurance does not cover damage to your car... it will cover damage to other peoples cars and property....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have to agree here with the t cut of that area first.. to me it looks like that paint hasnt been broken...if that will polish out then the local dent guy can leave your bonnet in A1 condition.....
failing that and going down the other route..ie repair...it is white and one of the easiest colours to blend so a properly done smart repair would be the order of the day for me..
Oh and as far as I'm aware your house insurance does not cover damage to your car... it will cover damage to other peoples cars and property....

You cannot T cut nano paint with much effect at all, and there is no way that it can be blended

fozzymandeus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL350
slightly tangential ask, but is nano paint unique to mercedes or do other brands use it?

I'm a little concerned about how unrepairable damage to it seems to be.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom