HELP! SL600 - Unable to open boot

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
I have a slight concern that if the battery is really flat, the charger won't recognise it and won't charge it. I do wonder if starting the car on the starter battery and giving it a good run will charge the aux battery and let you open the boot. Never tried this, but it should work ?

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I have a slight concern that if the battery is really flat, the charger won't recognise it and won't charge it. I do wonder if starting the car on the starter battery and giving it a good run will charge the aux battery and let you open the boot. Never tried this, but it should work ?
Yes it does work and is my normal method. Even just starting the car is enough to get the boot to open - no need for a run. Only high drain items like seat heaters, roof, HRW require the battery to have some charge.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Last week I used my CTEK (10A) on my wife's car battery that was totally flat. The CTEK charged the battery in about 5 hours.

Divorced now happy.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK200 2006
If people getting locked out of cars is due to flat batteries preventing the doors opening , has anyone ever installed the fly leads that you use for easy charging to be accessible either from under the car or through the rear seats for boot mounted batteries .
Although both my cars have these fly leads fitted to the batteries already , there would be nothing stopping me installing a second lead to each battery and leaving the CLK lead hanging down for access under the car ?

If you get locked out of a car it is very easy to still get in without any power, but I would not want to encourage people to break into others cars by this method. You just need a door handle and the tool of course and no vibrator in sight. lol.
I do have a full set of lock picks etc that I just tinker with.

Last edited:
OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Did you manage to sort this out?
Hi John,
Sorry been away.No is the quick answer.
Tried lubricating the lock..nada..
The attached photo shows a large red cable coming into the fuse board behind the drivers seat.
I assume this is directly from the battery in the boot..so... I'll just get another battery connect it to this cable and that should power up the fuse board.. And then I should be able to open the boot...yes?

Attachments

• 20200111_130504.jpg
    20200111_130504.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 18

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
If people getting locked out of cars is due to flat batteries preventing the doors opening , has anyone ever installed the fly leads that you use for easy charging to be accessible either from under the car or through the rear seats for boot mounted batteries .
Although both my cars have these fly leads fitted to the batteries already , there would be nothing stopping me installing a second lead to each battery and leaving the CLK lead hanging down for access under the car ?
Wont help if the battery has been disconnected as in the OP's case.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Hi John,
Sorry been away.No is the quick answer.
Tried lubricating the lock..nada..
The attached photo shows a large red cable coming into the fuse board behind the drivers seat.
I assume this is directly from the battery in the boot..so... I'll just get another battery connect it to this cable and that should power up the fuse board.. And then I should be able to open the boot...yes?
So you can get into the car ok? Have you reconnected the main battery?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
This. And once connected have you started the engine and tried the boot release on the drivers door? (Assuming the disconnected live lead was left safe).

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Thus is the on going issue with the boot battery disconnected and the manual lock not opening the boot...

OP
Paul Sander

Paul Sander

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SL600
Guys, I sorted it out...the photos I posted earlier show the main feed from the battery in the boot going to the fuseboard behind the driver seat - (r/h cars).
All I did was get another battery and put a feed onto this cable which powered up the fuseboard (and so provided power to the vacuum pump for the central door locking)
Whilst providing voltage to the fuseboard I then just used my key fob button to pop the lid....simples... took 5 mins.

BTW: The battery under the bonnet had been connected up before the above was carried out.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Guys, I sorted it out...the photos I posted earlier show the main feed from the battery in the boot going to the fuseboard behind the driver seat - (r/h cars).
All I did was get another battery and put a feed onto this cable which powered up the fuseboard (and so provided power to the vacuum pump for the central door locking)
Whilst providing voltage to the fuseboard I then just used my key fob button to pop the lid....simples... took 5 mins.

BTW: The battery under the bonnet had been connected up before the above was carried out.
Sorry, I’m being dim, but how did you connect the battery to that? Thanks

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom