Help Transporting Car

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
I'm possibly being a bit cheeky here, but I'm looking for some help transporting my car from Brighton to Southampton.

The starter has totally packed in so I can't drive it.

SAM-UNIT reckons about £150 for a guy he uses, and suggested the AA. I am a member but don't have home start, so he suggested towing it to a mile away then calling the AA. That would normally be ok, but it is so hilly where I live that I'm nervous a) about towing an auto and b) whether the brakes will be ok etc. I'd hate to be unable to stop going downhill.

Anyone got a tow truck and a spare half an hour in the Brighton area?

Juddian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124CE/1996/3199cc/LPG'd
I'd be very wary of doing what you are thinking of now....should a breakdown service be able to piece together who you are after they've been used fraudulently you may find expensive legal action following.
Only my opinion obviously.

Could i suggest putting a local ad in a Southampton media of some sort, maybe a small business car carrier would take your car back with them on a 'return load' basis for a decent drink....or maybe ask in a variety of forums eg Pistonheads for a similar solution.

OP
Blakey

Blakey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport (12) Blueefficiency
I'd be very wary of doing what you are thinking of now....should a breakdown service be able to piece together who you are after they've been used fraudulently you may find expensive legal action following.
Only my opinion obviously.

Could i suggest putting a local ad in a Southampton media of some sort, maybe a small business car carrier would take your car back with them on a 'return load' basis for a decent drink....or maybe ask in a variety of forums eg Pistonheads for a similar solution.

I get what you're saying and appreciate the opinion, but as a member who has not called on the service of the AA for years but stumped up regardless, and the fact that I do have relay cover, I don't really see how they can quibble, I believe they give you the option of being towed home or to a garage or to your intended destination.

But you have got me thinking, - I do know some guys that own a machine moving/installing company that look for the 'return load' arrangement like you suggest. I've given then loads of work over the years, so it might be time to call in a favour.

Thanks for getting me to think laterally. :)

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
Why don't you get a local garage to recover the car & replace the starter? Thwaites in Portslade would do that

Or get a mobile mechanic to replace the starter

Seems a lot of hard work to transport a car 60 miles for a job anyone could do

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom