Help! W204 will not start - immobiliser?

tvs92000

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204/2009/271
I called into the local shop last Sunday evening and when I came out put in the key and turned it there was no lights on the dash and the car would not start (Its a 2007 with 100k miles with no warranty). Called out MB Breakdown and they were there within an hour. Their technician said it was the steering lock mechanism and it would need to be taken to the MB Dealer to confirm this. The breakdown truck arrived and because the car was parked with full lock to the left they had to jerk it on to the pickup truck. I rang MB next morning and the guy told me that when they got it off the truck it was starting. Apparently this is a common fault where the steering lock gets worn and if the car is in full lock when parked it can fail to start. I have ordered the new parts with a total cost quoted for labour and parts of £850. However I have been driving the car for over a week now while I await the parts (being Christmas its going to take two weeks for the parts) I now park the car with wheels straight ahead and touch wood it has started everytime.
How do you fix it? my car is the same today. Finally, which the part did you have to change? could you give me the name and part number? Is your car is now OK?

Top Bottom