Help! W204 will not start - immobiliser?

F

fred52

Just moved my car took key out and then decided it wasn't far enough back, so put key back in and absolutley nothing! Almost as if the immobiliser has locked out and is not recognising the key. Its an autobox so made sure I had brake on. Locked in Park. Closed car - all works OK. Opens car all OK - then try to start - nothing - not even a click.

Tried the spare key - same thing.

Called the dealer - no clue!

Called Mobilo and now waiting to see when they can get here.

Any ideas please. Thanks in advance.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Is the key turning, if so i will say starter fuse has blown!!

OP
F

fred52

The key turns through several positions, but then stops. No sign of starter motor and impossible to get drive selector out of Park.

If its the EIS fuse, is this readily accessible?

Thanks

OP
F

fred52

Still no joy.........

Mobilo agent just turned up - impressive timing!

Brake lights do not go on with key in ignition. His assessemnt - the keys and immobiliser are out of synchronisation and it will get towed into the dealer tomorrow morning for a resynch!

What a palaver - is this really progress?!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
My assessment- he dont know what his talking about, what did the star machine throw out????

OP
F

fred52

Hi - he didn't plug anything in - he just said "nowt we can do - into the dealer for resynch" !:(

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
It wasnt a merc tech then! i would refuse recovery until a merc tech has looked at the car and put a star machine on it!!!

OP
F

fred52

Mobilo will not send a technician to the car - its the other way round! The dealer is less than 10 minutes away so hopefully something will be resolved tomorrow!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Mobilo will not send a technician to the car - its the other way round! The dealer is less than 10 minutes away so hopefully something will be resolved tomorrow!

Doesn't it just always happen on a Friday night. I do hope that their Saturday arrangements enable the problem to be solved. :|

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have to agree with SAM on this, as the key turns it is not a re sync problem

OP
F

fred52

MB Dealer says.............

...........diagnsotics revealed nothing that they could act on. Waiting for their 'expert' on Monday.

Don't you just love these guys? :rolleyes:

OP
F

fred52

Latest from the dealer - no fault codes stored.

Disconnected battery and re-connected and all working! They want to keep it for a few more hours to make sure that its really OK!

Does anybody know if disconnecting the battery and re-connecting it is the recommended resolution anyway and if they had tried this on Friday evening a lot of time and expense would have been spared? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
F

fred52

Just a thought...........

Everything is working fine now (fingers crossed!).

If a battery disconnect/re-connect was enough to sort out the software glitch, why don't MB (and others) incorporate a user 're-set' button! It would save literally £ms of wasted effort and time!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Once anything digital locks up, only a power down will cure it, this could have just been a million to one glitch

Patch

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi Sport 2007
w204 Not Starting - No Dash Lights - Steering Locked

I called into the local shop last Sunday evening and when I came out put in the key and turned it there was no lights on the dash and the car would not start (Its a 2007 with 100k miles with no warranty). Called out MB Breakdown and they were there within an hour. Their technician said it was the steering lock mechanism and it would need to be taken to the MB Dealer to confirm this. The breakdown truck arrived and because the car was parked with full lock to the left they had to jerk it on to the pickup truck. I rang MB next morning and the guy told me that when they got it off the truck it was starting. Apparently this is a common fault where the steering lock gets worn and if the car is in full lock when parked it can fail to start. I have ordered the new parts with a total cost quoted for labour and parts of £850. However I have been driving the car for over a week now while I await the parts (being Christmas its going to take two weeks for the parts) I now park the car with wheels straight ahead and touch wood it has started everytime.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the feedback on this one, lets hope this cures the problem

Top Bottom