Help with body work advice

OP
R

Rowena

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class 220, 2014
thank you all, it’s reassuring to know that I’ve not don’t 3k worth of damage!

I’m south east london but happy to take it anywhere in london if people have personal recommendations!

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
I had some work done immediately pre-covid which may help compare. A Mondeo backed into by a neighbour and damage like the OPs limited to just the front door. Initial quote £1850 inc vat for new door, painting and fitting. Door and a couple of bits needed to fit was £850, Paint £390, labour £388 and sundries made the rest. This was a proper accident approved bodyshop with results where the repair couldn't be detected. So I reckon the real problem with the OP's estimate is the £1400 labour when vat is included.

What I did with mine was to buy an immaculate used door from a breakers for £40, strip it back to a bare door for painting/fitting and this bought my payable a whisker under £1000.

However my door was much more damaged than the OP's so had to be replaced. The OP's though maintains the correct shut line and gap to the adj door and all the bodyshops I've used would make an undetectable job leaving that door on and repairing it. I reckon £600-£750 for a great job... £1000 absolute tops if they have a nice reception with free coffee and cakes.

Done properly it will not devalue the car one bit.

BTW what a great looking red!

OP
R

Rowena

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class 220, 2014
Definitely won't polish out ... ;)

I'm not an expert, but I'm sure a good body shop could pull the majority of the dent out .... they often weld loops to the skin & slide hammer the dent out in stages.
Lol, no more than a polish required, sadly

OP
R

Rowena

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class 220, 2014
I had some work done immediately pre-covid which may help compare. A Mondeo backed into by a neighbour and damage like the OPs limited to just the front door. Initial quote £1850 inc vat for new door, painting and fitting. Door and a couple of bits needed to fit was £850, Paint £390, labour £388 and sundries made the rest. This was a proper accident approved bodyshop with results where the repair couldn't be detected. So I reckon the real problem with the OP's estimate is the £1400 labour when vat is included.

What I did with mine was to buy an immaculate used door from a breakers for £40, strip it back to a bare door for painting/fitting and this bought my payable a whisker under £1000.

However my door was much more damaged than the OP's so had to be replaced. The OP's though maintains the correct shut line and gap to the adj door and all the bodyshops I've used would make an undetectable job leaving that door on and repairing it. I reckon £600-£750 for a great job... £1000 absolute tops if they have a nice reception with free coffee and cakes.

Done properly it will not devalue the car one bit.

BTW what a great looking red!
Thank you and thanks for the advice. I think the amount of work you have managed to do yourself seems a little advanced for me, but im relieved to know that its nt going to be 3K either

OP
R

Rowena

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class 220, 2014
Dear all,

Following on from my last post and the excellent and kind advice everyone has given me would it be possible to get some recommendations for good car bodyshop's in London?

I am based in SE London but happy to travel for good recommendations!

I have scratched my passenger side door and Mercedes wants to charge 3K for the work, i have been reliably informed by the kind people here that this is a ripoff and to search elsewhere!

TIA, looking forward to hearing from you all.

Rowena

Below is the scratch in all its glory!

car1.jpeg car2.jpeg car3.jpeg

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Depends how deep the scratch, but you might be able to sort it out with T-Cut, approx £5 a bottle in Halfauds.

OP
R

Rowena

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class 220, 2014
Depends how deep the scratch, but you might be able to get it out with T-cut, price approx £5 a bottle in Halfauds.
Ahhhh, sadly no. Also dented!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Edit : Ouch, just seen the picture. As it is only on one panel, the door, shouldn't be too hard to sort, they will need to blend the colour in, so yes, aim for £500 or less. I paid £350 for a similar ding recently, but I am not in London. £3,000 is taking the mickey IMHO.

Last edited:

DMT60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600L 2011 silver
Give Richard a call at
Spectrum Automotive Ltd
Worsley Bridge Road
London
SE26 5BN
Been going to them for years for all types of work

DMT60

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S600L 2011 silver
Sorry here their number 020 8695 1122

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom