Help with brake caliper torque specs please?

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 311 CDI LWB extra high 01.12.2008 2148 cc OM646.
Hi All,

Newbie here, just joined the forum. Proud to have a Mercedes, although just a van :D.

I would greatly appreciate some information regarding the following questions. Any answers are a bonus as it all helps, thanks in advance for any replies.

Am heading off later today to pick up 2008 sprinter 311 2.1 CDI I have just bought. The van is presently not in a driveable state, I need to sort out the brakes. Work scope as follows. Ensure no sticky pistons (repair as necessary), new disks, pads, and wear sensors on all 4 corners - this all came with the van, displace complete system to fresh brake fluid - still need to purchase fluid.

Front and back floating caliper slide bolt torque please? I am guessing the same bolt size and thread pitch on both front and back.

Caliper carrier to bearing housing bolt torque please? I am guessing there may be a difference in bolt sizes between the front and rear calipers.

Is bleed sequence standard for UK vehicle with master cylinder on OSF i.e. NSR - OSR - NSF - OSF?

Brake fluid type please? What is the capacity of the brake system including the brake expansion tank? I was going to get 2 litres, would that be enough to give all 4 corners a good flush out?

Much appreciated,

Paul :)

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Most answers that you need would be in an owners manual . The bleed sequence would be fine .Fluid for brakes would be on the filler cap .The quantity is about right 2 lites . But thats it for me .Pop in from time to time other owners will help you.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
in 30 years of car machanics ive never took a torque wrench to brake calipers , just make sure they are tight and the sliders are free moving

OP
Paulgeorge01

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Most answers that you need would be in an owners manual . The bleed sequence would be fine .Fluid for brakes would be on the filler cap .The quantity is about right 2 lites . But thats it for me .Pop in from time to time other owners will help you.
Thanks for your reply Dreamer. Much appreciated.

OP
Paulgeorge01

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
in 30 years of car machanics ive never took a torque wrench to brake calipers , just make sure they are tight and the sliders are free moving
Thank you for you comments Brembo. Much appreciated. I know what you are saying but whenever possible I prefer to use a TW.

OP
Paulgeorge01

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
its bembo! pal , im not named after a set of brake components :p , understood but its total overkill ;)
Sorry for the mix up with the name Bembo :oops: no pun intended pertaining to the original post ;). Different strokes for different folks as they say, like the missus says, the main thing being we all get there in the end and get the job done;).

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
no problem pal , not the first time and sure wont be the last lol , so do you name all your spanners too ??:p;););)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Paul, https://www.opieoils.co.uk/
Will be able to advise on brake fluid specifics for your van, they are forum sponsors so reasonably priced too...oh and my spanners are named so don’t be ashamed- mine are called ‘Whitworth’ and ‘Metric’....there’s another called Ross but that’s quite another story :rolleyes:

OP
Paulgeorge01

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
no problem pal , not the first time and sure wont be the last lol , so do you name all your spanners too ??:p;););)

:D:D Bembo I’m just a Hazet TW, copper slip and co-efficiency factor sort of guy ;). However I do have a tool named BIG BERTHA who is my go to over torqued persuader ;).

Wish I had a £ for every time I’ve had to crack out the heat due to over torqued dry bolts, not to mention the time sert and heli coil work after it all goes pear shape :mad:! TW or blue nose spanner :rolleyes:?? I just like the easy life Bembo ;). Don’t like sheared bolts, skinned knuckles, stripped threads, welding bolts onto other bolts, stud extractors, drilling out, easy outs etc etc = a whole world of pain. Which a lot of the time, but not all of the time, is caused by over torqueing bolts. Of course not that you would do that ;):)

OP
Paulgeorge01

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dont forget to grease the sliders with special brake grease .
.Thank you for the reminder Dreamer. Already got the "T" shirt with that one a good few years back. The different effects petroleum and silicon grease have on those slide boots :shock::).

OP
Paulgeorge01

Paulgeorge01

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Paul, https://www.opieoils.co.uk/
Will be able to advise on brake fluid specifics for your van, they are forum sponsors so reasonably priced too...oh and my spanners are named so don’t be ashamed- mine are called ‘Whitworth’ and ‘Metric’....there’s another called Ross but that’s quite another story :rolleyes:
Thanks John. Yeah I have one called BIG BERTHA just for over torqued occasions:)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom