Help with DAB radio please

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
is there anything available to converty a 2001 audio10 radio casette with CD changer, to DAB without losing anything i already have?

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
Had some thoughts last night whilst driving home from work on the Comand DAB product requiring CD Text to function, which means it won't work on Audio20 units.

My Audio20 plays CDs with MP3s. Why not code the station name as the MP3 file instead of CD Text? You could also code the disc name/directory name as the multiplex name!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
why would you pay £500 from command online rip off when theres other types out that fit and do just as good a job ??? just curious npuk

try here............. it fits out of the way and does just the same job

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/AutoDAB_integrated_add-on_DAB_car_radio.html

they arent exactly CHEAP and if you want decent reception, you have to use a roof mounted aerial with their stuff. i wouldnt want to have to drill my roof to fit a £90+ aerial!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
they arent exactly CHEAP and if you want decent reception, you have to use a roof mounted aerial with their stuff. i wouldnt want to have to drill my roof to fit a £90+ aerial!!!

DAB uses band 11 in the uk, when used on FM it was horizontally opposed and the band width quite a bit wider than the average car screen, if DAB is sent horizontally opposed then a ½ wave dipole would fit in the top of the screen.

Any voltage from an antenna comes from the tip, the middle part does nothing much.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
DAB uses band 11 in the uk, when used on FM it was horizontally opposed and the band width quite a bit wider than the average car screen, if DAB is sent horizontally opposed then a ½ wave dipole would fit in the top of the screen.

Any voltage from an antenna comes from the tip, the middle part does nothing much.

i think thats way over mt head Malcolm, BUT if im interpreting you correctly, are you saying that with a 1/2 wave dipole (whatever one of those is!) i could use the standard aerial set up in the car?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The DAB antenna I had in the 203 was just over 3" long with a built-in amp and stuck vertically behind the RVM. Reception was faultless ...

Comand

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63, SL55, A150, X5, Raptor, ZX10, ZRX1100, Mini, RD350B, RD250B
Had some thoughts last night whilst driving home from work on the Comand DAB product requiring CD Text to function, which means it won't work on Audio20 units.

My Audio20 plays CDs with MP3s. Why not code the station name as the MP3 file instead of CD Text? You could also code the disc name/directory name as the multiplex name!

Does your audio-20 show the MP3 tags/Cd text on the screen? I dont think it does hence it wasnt possible to show the station name on the screen.

I should add that the guys who have developed this piece of kit were the same people who co developed the D2B protocol. They have masses of experience in hardware design and software development. They in fact wrote the software that Dension use in their D2B products.

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
why would you pay £500 from command online rip off when theres other types out that fit and do just as good a job ??? just curious npuk

try here............. it fits out of the way and does just the same job

http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/AutoDAB_integrated_add-on_DAB_car_radio.html

Sorry but this just isnt true. Firstly have you tried and used the in2digi product? I doubt it. So how can you compare? The autodab does not do exactly the same job at all. Autodab requires AUX or FM input. In2digi does not. AutoDab does not display the station and text on the comand screen. The Autodab relies on analogue signals or FM to get the audio to the headunit. the in2Digi unit is DIGITAL right through the amplifier in the head unit.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The DAB antenna I had in the 203 was just over 3" long with a built-in amp and stuck vertically behind the RVM. Reception was faultless ...

As before it would not work well down where I am, no reception at all down stairs and a few stations up stairs in the house and patchy to say the least.

I will hook up a portable in the car and see what it is like out on the road around here

Wheel

Reaction score
Website
oldmusicvideos.blogspot.com
Your Mercedes
Mercedes B200 Sport
Does your audio-20 show the MP3 tags/Cd text on the screen? I dont think it does hence it wasnt possible to show the station name on the screen.
No Audio20 does not display MP3 tags, BUT what it does is convert the file name and folder/disc name in to a legiable format.

I can take a photo later on, but in a nutshell...

Save_The_Best_For_Last.mp3 is reformatted on the screen (and on the trip computer display) as Save The Best For Last

The album/disc name is reformatted too, and directly below the track name, so for example \Vanessa_Williams\ would be reformatted as Vanessa Williams.

Autodab requires AUX or FM input. In2digi does not. AutoDab does not display the station and text on the comand screen. The Autodab relies on analogue signals or FM to get the audio to the headunit. the in2Digi unit is DIGITAL right through the amplifier in the head unit.
AutoDAB only works by rebroadcasting on FM, there is no analogue RCA option. Because of this, station name and scrolling text is possible through RDS. Although it isn't that elaborate.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As before it would not work well down where I am, no reception at all down stairs and a few stations up stairs in the house and patchy to say the least.

I will hook up a portable in the car and see what it is like out on the road around here

On our drive down to Burgh Island we had no issues at all, excellent reception all the way.

Comand

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No Audio20 does not display MP3 tags, BUT what it does is convert the file name and folder/disc name in to a legiable format.

I can take a photo later on, but in a nutshell...

Save_The_Best_For_Last.mp3 is reformatted on the screen (and on the trip computer display) as Save The Best For Last

The album/disc name is reformatted too, and directly below the track name, so for example \Vanessa_Williams\ would be reformatted as Vanessa Williams.

AutoDAB only works by rebroadcasting on FM, there is no analogue RCA option. Because of this, station name and scrolling text is possible through RDS. Although it isn't that elaborate.

The NTG2 (MOST) audio-20 units do not play MP3's so its not possible to do this on those vehicles yet. The newer NTG2.5/NTG4 units do though and provided the headunit has fibre then there will be support for these vehicles coming.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom