Help with second jack purchase..

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
So..

Earlier in the year I bought a jack, through experience it turns out to be a very basic model with lifting range between 14 - 34 CM. The 34 CM proves to be not too useful really.

I absolutely hate having to buy the same thing twice, and i'm kicking myself for doing little research so need a little help from the pros here..

I think most issues will be solved from the lifting height.. but the outstanding concern is that with my current model, when it is under the diff on me estate (extended boot), I can't lever it up enough to get the jack to lift.. if that makes sense.

I am wondering if the following will help.. I really need to be able to lift from centre rear/front to be able to get left / right raised together.

This one from Halfords lifts to 50 CM, which is a significant increase, I am thinking of buying. What do people reckon? I can get for £90 with trade card.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I bought one of these last year and very pleased with it I think EBay were offering me a discount code on it so saved 15% - heavy but very good well up to the job

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-E...971648&hash=item2ed3157f0a:g:4GUAAOSwAwpcuF72

Cool, spec seems very similar to that of the Halfords Advanced on I linked too.. your link says it weighs 30KG, crikey. Thankfully I won't need to pull it out too often.

I am inclined to go with the Halfords one as their Advanced line is supposed to be decent and also it will only cost £90 with the trade card I have.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Look at the minimum height to make sure it will fit under the car. My Halfords one won't fit under my 210 unless I drive it into planks first.
When lifting the rear make sure it's very well chocked as it can easily roll away....

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'm very pleased with my Arcan jack from Costco. Mine is only an 1800kg (US 2 ton) though they don't seem to do the same 'lightweight' model anymore. Not sure who classed it as lightweight .... maybe Eddie Hall as it far from lightweight :D but it's low enough to go under my Smart Roadster & will lift my ML :)

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I already have one of those.. and that's another thing about my current jack. I can't use those pads :arrgh

I have previously had issues with jacking and resting on stands etc so the other day I bought two pieces of oak that I can place over between the jack stand and the sill in the car. This will help prevent damage to the body work by distributing the load.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
A180 CDI AVANTGARDE SE CVT,169.007, 2009
So..

Earlier in the year I bought a jack, through experience it turns out to be a very basic model with lifting range between 14 - 34 CM. The 34 CM proves to be not too useful really.

I absolutely hate having to buy the same thing twice, and i'm kicking myself for doing little research so need a little help from the pros here..

I think most issues will be solved from the lifting height.. but the outstanding concern is that with my current model, when it is under the diff on me estate (extended boot), I can't lever it up enough to get the jack to lift.. if that makes sense.

I am wondering if the following will help.. I really need to be able to lift from centre rear/front to be able to get left / right raised together.

This one from Halfords lifts to 50 CM, which is a significant increase, I am thinking of buying. What do people reckon? I can get for £90 with trade card.

Did you buy the full kit this was in from Halfords?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Did you buy the full kit this was in from Halfords?

No, why? I already have a breaker bar, chocks and stands.

Has anybody ever had issues similar to me on lifting the rear of an estate by the diff? I wonder will there be enough space to lever the jack? How hard is it to push the foot lever (by hand)?

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
No, why? I already have a breaker bar, chocks and stands.

Has anybody ever had issues similar to me on lifting the rear of an estate by the diff? I wonder will there be enough space to lever the jack? How hard is it to push the foot lever (by hand)?

Because I made the mistake of buying the 'Special lifting kit' with everything included for the serious DIY'er. Only to find that the trolley jack only goes up to a maximum of 34cm, while the axle stands have a maximum height of 36.5cm.
Now having used them both to get under the front of my estate, i had to use extra bits of wood to get the clearance needed to get the axle stands high enough to 'just' fit under the front. I wish I had researched this more. I now have a trolley jack that is only good for changing tyres!!!

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.

NBurns

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
SGS 3 Ton Low Profile Garage Trolley Jack 5055462716797 | eBay

I bought this few weeks ago,
larger and more stable than my previous 2 tonne jack,
is low to the floor with good lift height (range).

It's heavy, which isn't all bad,
and takes more storage space.

Oh, and delivered the following day.

It's out of stock currently but i am watching this now. Thank you. Good height.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good spot @AMGeed - Those SGS ones look decent and well priced. That said, I rather the lower range on the Halfords as I would like to be able to place my oak beam between jack and chassis.

Because I made the mistake of buying the 'Special lifting kit' with everything included for the serious DIY'er. Only to find that the trolley jack only goes up to a maximum of 34cm, while the axle stands have a maximum height of 36.5cm.
Now having used them both to get under the front of my estate, i had to use extra bits of wood to get the clearance needed to get the axle stands high enough to 'just' fit under the front. I wish I had researched this more. I now have a trolley jack that is only good for changing tyres!!!

Ah ok, that's a bummer.. I hate having to buy kit a second time.. I always try and buy right the first time.

That said. The smaller jack will come in handy when it will suffice and save me having to carry a 30KG jack to the car...

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Well, the one I have is very similar to the one I have. For me it was just a case of getting a lower profile jack, which I acquired today .... :D

Purchased this 2 Tonne jack today for £90. RRP is £120, but I have the use of a friends trade card which is awesome for tools!

It's pretty substantial and feel like I will have a much easier (safer) time lifting my cars. I still have to figure out how to operate the release vale.

IMG_20191025_235640.jpg IMG_20191026_000200.jpg

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just turn the handle anti clockwise to lower it...

Ahhh.. I was trying that. But it turns out there is a grub screw to lock/unlock. That was fully closed, meaning the handle wasn't engaging with the valve nut.

I loosed the grub screw and all is good..bled and all, and ready to go. Hopefully the weather is good tomorrow and can give it a shot (but I think it is forecast to be bad :()

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom