Theo1226

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi 2002
Ok I'm new so be nice! Think I'm posting this on the right section :/
Oh and don't use mega car terminology,
Ok so on Xmas day, the starter fuse blew, so I upped the Amps to a 20a
Started fine, then blew, anyways now the starter has completely packed up, a guy come
Today to put it on his trailer to get a new motor fitted, but the car won't move?? Also the remote central locking failed? So my car is stuck parked in the road, and I have no idea what I'm
Going to do.. Please help!

Oh it's a c220 automatic 2002
If that helps,
Thanks in advance

rapide

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1997 E230 (no rust) 2016 volvo xc60 r/design. se. lux. nav.
wont move!

Hi and welcome, when you say wont move, is that stuck in park if auto, or other problem, suggest when you upped the amps you didnt do it any good but to late for that! never up the amps to cure a blown fuse its blown for good reason! tell us why it wont move etc and anything else it wont do now! did the starter go up in smoke or just stop working could you smell burning at all! Rap.

OP
T

Theo1226

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi 2002
Thanks for fast reply, well I no that factory fitted are the 10 or 15a fuse, and I read that sometimes as the car gets older this is a common problem, so up putting in a bigger fuse, that some times solves it, which it did, momentarily, there was no smoke or burning, it just stopped working, if I release the handbrake, it doesn't matter which position the gears are in, the car won't move, (like how in a manual you take of the handbrake and roll it in neutral) well that's what we was trying to do, to get it onto the trailer, oh also have now noticed the handbrake pedal had no resistance to it at all, and like I mentioned the RCL does no longer work, but a week ago the only problem was that the car wouldn't start, it still locked/unlocked and when it nuetral it could be pushed, but now.. Nothing? It's only been sat there waiting till I could get a trailer...

Thanks

aycee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black CLS350 W218, Blue SLK320 R170, Silver A Class W169
Sounds like the handbrake is stuck on. Have you tried rocking the car backwards and forwards to release it?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
If it is the parking brake locked on the going from D to r should free it off

OP
T

Theo1226

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi 2002
Yeah I tried rocking it, it's even slightly downhill, but didn't do anything, tried it in all gear positions... Just getting very frustrated now!! :/
Thanks for all the replies...

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
You are turning on the ignition when trying to take it out of park, I take it?

OP
T

Theo1226

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi 2002
Yes, I have tried everything, it moved fine in neutral last week, as I had to move it from where it was, so it rolled fine, but now, nothing

OP
T

Theo1226

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi 2002
It does come out of park, just doesn't do anything

aycee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black CLS350 W218, Blue SLK320 R170, Silver A Class W169
Still think it's the parking brake seized on. Put it in neutral and rock the car. May require a fair bit of effort but it should release.

OP
T

Theo1226

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220cdi 2002
Ok, I did try earlier, but I shall
Try again in the morning, I'll get some extra bodies :)

Bubble

Reaction score
Website
www.motacar.com
Your Mercedes
E350 Coupe CDI / Land-Rover Discovery 4 / Nissan Skyline 650bhp R.I.P.
Had this before on cars that have stood still for a while and the handbrake shoes have frozen onto the brake drum.

One trick is to get underneath the car and thump the brake bake plate with a hammer to shock the shoes into releasing. You obviously have to be careful what you hit so you don't damage anything and of course not then let the car run you over:shock:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom