Here at last!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Good luck bidding. If it doesn't go for his reserve contact him to find out what he wants for it. He may do an off eBay deal as he will save fees.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The car has certainly attracted a lot of interest with at least 10 bidders (half of which will no doubt have dropped out) with the usual one or two stealth bidders in the wings. Nice car and it will be interesting to see if it makes the reserve certainly looks a well cared for example.

Hope you’re successful tomorrow Rhoda no doubt you’ve decided your max price for the last 10s to go bid

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Are congratulations in order Rhoda??

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
The winning bid went in in the last 6 seconds. Looks like the reserve was met. Exciting stuff.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Thank you all! I waited until the last few seconds to bid, it was a bit nerve wracking! Anyway, it was my top bid at £6,300 and the reserve was met so all things being equal the car should be mine. I will HPI it tomorrow and arrange with my bank to do a transfer when I phone them and have the keys in my hand having checked the V5c and matched addresses etc. Any pointers for the best low use insurance? Hopefully I am a proper member of the Club now! I can't work out how to edit the car I own though but all in good time. A glass of wine and an early night for me!

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Thank you all! I waited until the last few seconds to bid, it was a bit nerve wracking! Anyway, it was my top bid at £6,300 and the reserve was met so all things being equal the car should be mine. I will HPI it tomorrow and arrange with my bank to do a transfer when I phone them and have the keys in my hand having checked the V5c and matched addresses etc. Any pointers for the best low use insurance? Hopefully I am a proper member of the Club now! I can't work out how to edit the car I own though but all in good time. A glass of wine and an early night for me!
Excellent, well done, congratulations.
t2025.gif

We use Admiral multi car, because we have four cars. I would be looking for a classic, limited mileage policy. I reckon the SL55 costs me a couple of hundred pounds a year to insure so you should be aiming for less than that.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Excellent, well done, congratulations.
t2025.gif

We use Admiral multi car, because we have four cars. I would be looking for a classic, limited mileage policy. I reckon the SL55 costs me a couple of hundred pounds a year to insure so you should be aiming for less than that.
We were with Admiral multi car for about 4 years until this year when it became cheaper to insure separately again.

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Congratulations!

I thought yours was the winning bid glad you managed to win the auction - the car does seem to tick all the right boxes. As above limited mileage insurance policies are the way to go with good discounts for newer and older cars.

Hope you enjoy the car and you have the added bonus of not having the an ABC System keeping you awake at night

Last edited:

Mr Greedy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350/2011/OM642 265bhp
Any pointers for the best low use insurance?

Not low use, but Direct Line for me.

In terms of quotes, you might find that policies with 6,000 or 12,000 miles on them are the cheapest, so it might be worth comparison site checking those mileages. If you have a busy year and do extra miles, great you are covered. If you do fewer miles than insured, insurance companies don't (yet) come after you because you haven't managed to do as many miles as you hoped.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
We found LV were best with our cars. Frankly a lot seems to depend on postcode with one being better for a given postcode than another but completely different if you use a different postcode.

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
We found LV were best with our cars. Frankly a lot seems to depend on postcode with one being better for a given postcode than another but completely different if you use a different postcode.

Same for us Alistair LV have been the best insurer for us and the 55 cost is £275 a year without any restrictions, come to think of it none of our cars are restricted use, even the classics but they are not with LV ;)

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
I use LV, initially as they were cheaest, but having sadly had to call on them 3 years ago because of the service, car all fixed, no request for an "excess" charge, even though it was disputed by an idiotic Vauxhall driver. Even better after payout premiums have dropped.

Cheapest is best does not always pay off with insurance, but LV are also competitive on price.

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Congratulations - well done.

I hope you enjoy the SL - I'm sure you will.

NJSS

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Not low use, but Direct Line for me.

In terms of quotes, you might find that policies with 6,000 or 12,000 miles on them are the cheapest, so it might be worth comparison site checking those mileages. If you have a busy year and do extra miles, great you are covered. If you do fewer miles than insured, insurance companies don't (yet) come after you because you haven't managed to do as many miles as you hoped.
Thank you Mr Greedy, I tried Peter Best on a limited (2,000 mile) policy but they wanted more than £2,000! My driver is 74 with a clean licence, my sister who is 59 has a clean licence and a named driver. I got it for £483 with 1st Capital and I got it for £483. My Porsche 986 with only my driver on it was £239 but the car value is less as is the engine size. Not sure what bumped up the price of the SL350 other than engine size, value and a named driver. Still cheaper than trying to keep a narrowboat though!

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Congratulations - well done.

I hope you enjoy the SL - I'm sure you will.

NJSS
Thanks NJS5, I am really looking forward to getting my polishing cloths on the SL!

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
I use LV, initially as they were cheaest, but having sadly had to call on them 3 years ago because of the service, car all fixed, no request for an "excess" charge, even though it was disputed by an idiotic Vauxhall driver. Even better after payout premiums have dropped.

Cheapest is best does not always pay off with insurance, but LV are also competitive on price.
Insurance can be such a rip off. Because both my cars are second cars, neither have NCB as my driver uses that on her own car. I don't really want her to have a multi-car policy as the SL and Porsche belong to me although she is the registered keeper and it would be unfair to affect her NCB if one of mine has a prang. I also want my sister on the SL and she only has an automatic licence and I have another friend I want insured on the Porsche so it all gets a bit complicated! Because I don't have a licence, I can't insure cars in my name. Next year when there should be a year's NCB, I will shop around better and hopefully get a decent deal. Neither car is likely do do more than a couple of thousand miles a year.

OP
Rhoda

Rhoda

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R230 SL350
Sadly after a 200 mile round trip and the inconvenience of 3 people - there is no SL350 on my drive. I suspect it will come back up for auction on eBay soon.

Too many alarm bells ringing about little things to start:

1. He text me 5 minutes after my ETA and asked for an update on arrival, I said 25 mins. When we got to his address, he had taken the car to have it washed?
2. He said the service light came on that morning so he took the car to KwikFit for a service and had the receipt... a SL350 to KrapFit for a service?? He said the new battery in the boot was from Mercedes because he wouldn't skimp on the car but would take it to KwikFit for a service??
3. He could not produce the service history in the form of a manual saying he must have left it at KwikFit.
4. He had not changed over the private plate to those he had a V5 for weeks before but thought it more important to wash the car before I arrived?
5. He met me outside his flat but would not allow me in citing COVID rules, I wanted to establish that he really did live there.
6. He told me when I viewed the car that he didn't give his home address because people then had his address and knew where the cars were if they wanted to steal them at a later time. The address was a flat with no parking! You would have to park streets away and he told me, pay £600 a year so no one could connect the address with a car in the drive. That didn't hold water.

A great shame because it seems like a lovely car but I have little confidence that I am buying it from the owner. If that is not the case then the guy is an idiot for making me feel that way. There will be another that ticks my boxes in the future and I am in no hurry.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Sorry to hear about you misfortune but you have done the right thing, too many alarm bells ringing. There are plenty of others out there.
It looks like he bought it to make some quick money on it, I assume you didn't get sight of the log book?

NJS5

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 R230 SL350, 2016 Discovery 4 Landmark, 1973 MG B GT V8, 1959 MGA roadster.
Rhoda

I am so sorry to hear this.

You were right to walk away.

NJSS

Top Bottom