here's one for satnav/ice brains among you

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I have an APS 30 sat nav ( becker). Also 2x audio 10 radio/cds.
The aps 30 works perfectly in my 202, but will not sat nav in my wifes 210 or mine ( all other functions fine). It just won't "move" as a satnav, but stays rooted to the spot,as it were and never updates its position.
It does read its position fine, as you can see the position bearings change as you drive along. So it knows where it is, but obviously thinks it's somewhere else.

I also notice that the audio 10s have a speed dependent volume thing, but the aps 30 doesn't, no matter which car it's in. In my 210 the volume goes up with road speed to maintain the "set" volume. In the wifes 210, this doesn't happen.
I haven't tried the audio 10s in the 202, but I know that the Blaupunkt i had with GALA worked fine and the volume went up with speed. The same is true in the SL as well.
When I tried the blaupunkt in the mem's 210, the diagnostic menu showed there to be no speed signal. That will be my next test in my 210, but the question i am trying to ask is

" Why won't the aps 30 work in either of the 210s?"

It's driving me batty trying to work out what's what. Any help or ideas appreciated.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
When the map just floats around not knowing where it is shows that the satellite antenna is at fault. It cannot lock on to any satellites

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
interesting Malcolm

it did this in my wifes 210, but as soon as i put it in the 202 ( same antenna) it works just fine. Put it in my 210,( same antenna) and the same problem. The display shows a whole bunch of satellites found, and changes bearing as you drive along, but obviously the internal bearing memory isn't updating, and stays rooted at out house.
I confess to being nobbled by the whole thing.

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
it did this in my wifes 210, but as soon as i put it in the 202 ( same antenna) it works just fine. Put it in my 210,( same antenna) and the same problem. The display shows a whole bunch of satellites found, and changes bearing as you drive along, but obviously the internal bearing memory isn't updating, and stays rooted at out house.
I confess to being nobbled by the whole thing.

Is the antenna inside or outside of the car ? It could be the type of glass used in the windscreen and has a high metalic content .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When you say same antenna, are you moving it over to the other car

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Yes Malcolm and quicksilver

its a very new becker type internal antenna. Its the only one I have, and I move it from car to car.
It doesn't seem to have any problem picking up satellites, usually showing the same or one fewer than the blaupunkt. very rare to have no satellites at all except when "canyoned", and when the unit is installed and initialises itself, it picks the location up and decides that as "home", which is of course where it is. The blaupunkt even picks them up through the skylight in the garage roof!
I can see that the windscreens in the 210s would be different to the 202, as they are blue, and the 202 is green, but the speed signal thing confuses me. The blaupunkt has a good diagnostic screen, and shows no speed signal in the mem's 210. I'm going to test it in mine and see what it says. If there is no speed signal there either, then how does the audio 10 pick up volume when driving ( mine only so far).

Could it be that the can-bus needs coding to the aps 30. That would be a)daft
and b) expensive

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was just going to mention the speed signal,when I saw that you have,,,yes its a combination of the antenna and speed signal.

My car can loose the speed signal when too hot, and it does what yours is doing.

Has it ever worked in the 210

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Malcolm, even more interesting

never worked in the mem's, and I kept it in there for a few months hoping. Only had mine a week or so, but exactly the same symptoms. Worked from powering-up in the 202.
Wouldn't work in the SL until I realised it had no speed signal to the connector. I fed one from the speedo signal cable and Uncle Bob.
Would I be able to locate a similar source of speed info in the 210 and feed it to the connector at the back of the aps 30?
Still confused about the audio 10s and speed dependent volume though, although that's just an intellectual itch rather than a big pain.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is going to take some searching to find the correct speed signal, at least now we know what the fault is.

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
just back from Dunsfold

and have had the blaupunkt in the newbie 210. Drove around a bit, and guess what, no speed signal on the set up menu. had a close look at the connector, and there is no feed to the GA terminal in the block. Examined the 2o2 connector, and there is a GA feed to the terminal. Problem solved. All I have to do now, as Malcolm said, is find a speed pulse.
I know the feed to the speedo worked fine on the 107, but will it suit on the 210. Both are electronic speedos, presumably both fed from the same type of transducer somewhere.

Or am I completely barking up the wrong tree here and should be looking somewhere else

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Your car please is it a 210026 or 226 and the year

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
See what I can find

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
Malcolm, I was smurfing the web

and found this reference
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...6-confirm-2002-e320-radio-wiring-harness.html
thanks to our fellow-sufferers at Benzworld. It would appear that a black/green VSS wire exists and is somewhere near the A-Pillar in the cable duct. Would that be reversed on an RHD car, or shall i just have a shufti under both sides and see what I can find?

It would appear that the GAL signal for the audio volume comes over the can-bus on post 1999 models, where as before then the VSS feed did the trick. Natch, only i would be daft enough to buy a 1998 sat-nav unit. Still, hope for the thing yet.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The cables are always in the passenger foot well,,they are wider used for Taxi applications

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
I'll start there then

and let you know what i find, and what I do with it. i might have a go at the steering angle sensor as well. Don't know when to stop ( or start). Can't do any painting in this weather.

OP
Myros

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
anyway, the day hasn't been a dead loss

as I found the accursed speed cable ( it's a green stripe on a black cableas opposed to the black stripe on a green cable I had previously tapped into) with a bared end wrapped up with black cloth insulating tape. Mine was hiding behind the kick-plate just above the angle from the sill to the A pillar. Connected up to the relevant cable on the hands-free phone adaptor for the head unit ( The merc adaptor doesn't have a speed cable input to connect to) and uncle bob. A few times around the block to orient the system and Mrs Becker is now telling me off again for missing my turns.

Thanks Malcolm.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well thats one job sorted :D:D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom