Hey from Edinburgh.

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC250d 4matic sport premium
Hey I’m Al from Edinburgh. Contemplating purchase of a GLC250d 4matic.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Welcome Al, from an Auld Reekie living on the Wirral...
Nice car the GLC!

mgpete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250d Sport
Hi Al, I’m a new member but thought you would be interested to know I have a 250d sport which I’ve had new since March 2016 and I absolutely love it. I’ve had Audi A6 Avant V6 and last 2 cars were new BMW 5 Series tourers but this Merc is best car I’ve ever had and especially for towing the Caravan so I would say go for it. Pete

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Al, welcome to the forum :)

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Al, I’m a new member but thought you would be interested to know I have a 250d sport which I’ve had new since March 2016 and I absolutely love it. I’ve had Audi A6 Avant V6 and last 2 cars were new BMW 5 Series tourers but this Merc is best car I’ve ever had and especially for towing the Caravan so I would say go for it. Pete

Wow. That’s a great review story there Pete. Thanks for sharing. I may lease instead of own now after thinking some more today. Diesel tax going up in April plus you just never know what the government will do with diesel with the increase in electric tech. Best not to be stuck with a diesel.

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Going for black metallic. With silk beige. Can’t decide between wooden trim or ash trim. Anyone got either combo and share some experience keeping it clean etc. ?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Check that Mercedes have sorted out the crabbing issues with the GLC, search this forum for extensive coverage. You might be better with a Volvo XC60.

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Check that Mercedes have sorted out the crabbing issues with the GLC, search this forum for extensive coverage. You might be better with a Volvo XC60.

I had no idea willsearch from crabbing now.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Well I’ve been reading the threads on that now. Not sure what ‘lock’ is? Seem to go back to 2016 so you d like to imagine those faults have been corrected in new models being built in 2018? Anyone confirm that?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well I’ve been reading the threads on that now. Not sure what ‘lock’ is? Seem to go back to 2016 so you d like to imagine those faults have been corrected in new models being built in 2018? Anyone confirm that?

Turning on "full lock", i.e. maximum turn of the steering wheel, where the tyres/wheels are at maximum angle to the body. Look up Ackermann steering geometry in wikipedia for a full description of the problem, first seem in horse drawn carriages. Yes its that old.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The problem with the GLC started when they moved from left hand drive to right hand drive. It has never been a problem with LHD vehicles just an issue with RHD GLCs.

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Appreciate the input everyone. I’ll ask the dealing on Monday about crabbing issue.

mgpete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250d Sport
BCFEEBC5-7AD0-4EE3-A9ED-B2B413773582.jpeg All that’s been said here is right as there have been major issues with ‘skipping’ and it’s right that left hand drive vehicles haven’t been affected the same. Here’s my humble opinion, right from the day I bought the car I noticed it had a fantastic turning circle but anyone of my age will remember the Triumph Herald which had such a good turning circle it naturally scrubbed the tyres if put on full lock. My car is fitted with 18” dia wheels and has never suffered from ‘skipping’ though last year I noticed the outside edge of the front tyres were wearing badly after 17 thousand miles so I sent photos to MB and they said they were now fitting softer rubber tyres so booked me in and fitted a complete new set of tyres for free and gave me the part worn rear tyres back on my request. Due to the steering lock being so good I now consciously try not to go on full lock to help stop wear. I would recommend anyone else to do the same and certainly not go for larger dia wheels. If you do go for a Merc I went for Carbon Fibre interior which I think looks superb. Good luck in whatever you vehicle you choose to go for, I can only give my opinion based on owning mine for 2 years, I normally change my car after 3 years from new and would buy another at the drop of a hat but am concerned now the stupid government has demonised diesels but am concerned with hybrids from a towing point of view ( the Volvo XC90 hybrid only gets 16mpg when towing ) so I think I will keep mine for an extra year and see how the GLC hybrid figures.

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OMG!!! I've thoroughly delved into the crabbing issue and HORRIFIED. Let me repeat, HORRIFIED!!!! that this issue hasn't been addressed on new models. The Youtube videos are right there showing it in full sound.

I dont want to have to have winter tyres fitted, nor do I want to "consciously try not to go on full lock to help stop wear". A car in this brand/premium price bracket should not be having this problem.

I obviously will never go for a Mercedes now and just annoyed that its taken me weeks of searching to arrive at my decision to go for the GLC and then this!!???

Absolutely shocked at MB hand wiping this issue. Thanks to this group for alerting me to this. You've saved me a huge headache.

Al

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Loads of medium performance cross overs with overly large wheels have this issue Al... I’m not sure I’d be put off...
Anyway your choice?

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks John. I’m just off the phone with Mercedes dealer who has never heard of ‘crabbing’. Tyre skipping yes (which I wasn’t advised of) but not crabbing. He has advised that as standard they put all weather tyres on as standard which reduces (but doesn’t eliminate) skipping. What worries me is the thumping noise coming from the wheels on some YouTube clips I’ve seen. Appreciate these will Be the worst case scenarios still, not great to see when considering Handing over such a large cash amount.

The dealer advised that the Audi Q5 and bmw X3 have the same issue. Why haven’t I read about this with he same frequency and why are those owners not jumping up and down about it on forums??

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well the LHD GLC doesn't have a problem. It was the bodge up Mercedes made transferring to RHD. Worth asking on AUDI or BMW forums. Maybe they haven't tried to put large diameter low profile tyres on their SUVs but I'm only guessing now. I've never had any interest in an AUDI or BMW (motorbikes yes cars no).

OP
A

Al James

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ye Mike, I'm talking about RHD. Aware the the LHD isn't a problem. So pi**ed off as I was set on having this car.

Top Bottom