Hey People | From Dublin

albaluch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Elegance
Hi there, My name is Samir and I am currently living and working in Dublin. ROI. I currently drive a 1998 Altezza.

I have always had a sweet spot for the CLK 230K and I am supposed to go view one in the evening LINK, if all goes well; I will be swapping the Tezza for the 1998 CLK 230 Elegance Cabriolet.

Since you guys are the veterans, I need some advice on what to look for in this car ? What are the common problems ? Does it cost alot to maintain and service etc ? Any advice will be greatly appretiated.

Thanks

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
Hi, I would be worried about those chrome arch liners. Thats a common rust area so may be a cover up and not a "enhancement" The head lamps look a bit yellowed, so will need to be cleaned up as they will reduce your night illumination. Check all electrics work.

Some common issues are, temp and gear/clock displays in the dash lose pixels. not too hard to do a diy fix for 25eu. A touch of rust as I mentioned above. Check at the front end of the engine block, under the cover. There is a cam magnet device there and its been known to leak oil, that then travels back to the engine ecu and contaminates the connections. There should be a blocker device fitted. a small 3 inch extension piece between the loom and the sensor. Check when the atf was last changed, if ever as this will need to be done

Last edited:
OP
A

albaluch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Elegance
Hi, I would be worried about those chrome arch liners. Thats a common rust area so may be a cover up and not a "enhancement"

Thanks Miffy - Should I check under the arches and see if there is rust there ? Anything else I should be looking for ?

OP
A

albaluch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 230 Elegance
Thanks @Miffy - I really appreciate your advice. I will make sure to look out for those issues and ill update the post tomorrow.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom