Hi everybody

Winky84

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W108 (Maybe...)
Hello all, I am a complete newbie so please bear with me.

After having a bit of a thing for old Mercs for a long while, I sat in a stunning '68 W108 250SE at an auction preview evening last week, thinking "one day"

Then I saw what it sold for and thought "that's an awful lot of car for not a massive sum of money"

Then I fired up the quick loan calculator and thought "this might be doable"

So, my predicament is this.

I am so very tempted to see what Mr. bank manager is prepared to offer and go out hunting for a nice W108. But, there are several hurdles in my way...

Despite being in my late 20's, I have never owned a car.

I have extremely limited knowledge on how to fix cars. I can change wheels, replace a battery, put fuel in them and hoover the mats. That's more or less it. On the plus side, I have a brother that is an extremely competent mechanic and I am willing to learn.

The car would not have anywhere dry to live. It would be outside in a car park, mostly under trees.

Whilst I should be able to afford the initial purchase, insurance, fuel and MOT test etc, My funds are not entirely limitless.

I have spoken to quite a few people on the subject with varying opinions.
Mechanic brother says no.
Friends say yes.
Customer who is into classic cars says I'll be flat broke but won't be able to stop smiling about it.

So, there is my situation.

Do I sack the idea? Do I go for it? What to do...

I accept that it is extremely unlikely that I will buy one and I'll never have problems with it, but I could buy a modern car and have grief.

I accept that it's probably not the best way to start owning cars, but sometimes the best way to learn to swim is to jump in the deep end...

I am at the stage where my heart is shouting "YESSS", but my head is calling me rude names.

Any help, advice, information, discouragement, abuse that you are prepared to offer is most welcome.

Many thanks,

Phil

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
Hello and welcome

Nice idea but I think you should put a W108 on the back burner until you have had more experience of owning cars and have a garage.

Mic

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
Hello and welcome.

To have to leave the car outside - under trees! - would be a real shame.

As Mic - wait until you have somewhere undercover to keep one.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
I really don't want to dash your hopes but not having anywhere to keep your car and not having too much experience about cars, although we all had to start somewhere, this classsic could possibly be a Money Pit.
Be careful and sensible and ask as many owners that you can before committing yourself.
I hope your enthusiasm is not dampened by these comments which are meant in the best possible way.
Best Regards
BAZZER1

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I would just get any old cheap MB like a 202 and see how you get on with that.

You cannot leave a 108 outside

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
All as above really you could be lucky but stick with a more basic C-Class they are pretty good and fathomable for maintenance by most.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
I agree with what has been said, plus the quotations for insuring any car, given your circumstances will shock you to the core.

Welcome to the wonderful (and not so wonderful) world of motoring.

Regards
John

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
W124 e220 (or e320 if insurance sensible).

Reliable cars that feel special even in bog standard mode. If you want it to feel extra special get a coupe model. Can get a good one and it shouldn't go wrong and yet won't cost a lot so can be left outside without problem.

TBH if it was me i'd just buy a cheap old focus with a year's MOT to get the vital 1 years NCB on the insurance...it's also a jack of all trades car and if you've never had a car you will find out when/where you use it...the use it gets might surprise you, and then after a year or two when insurance isnt a problem and you know if the focus is too small/uncomfortable/slow, etc you will have a better idea (and more money) for buying the correct benz for you...

OP
W

Winky84

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W108 (Maybe...)
Hi everyone,

cheers for all your input, most helpful.

That is more or less what I had suspected.

After getting a few quick quotes, insurance wasn't as horrific as I was expecting but that alone is by no means good enough reason to go with it.

I shall keep the idea in the back of my head until such a time as it proves to be a bit more viable.

As Captain Sensible once said, "you've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna make a dream come true?"

Cheerio for now

rockerted

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190e 1.8 cosworth kit
hi winky, get a 190e 1.8 or 2ltr, and enjoy learning, mine stays outside, but plenty of polish etc,not ideal, but rather than go without/11..ted

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom