Hi & Help :)

Khalid79m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 220d
Hello All

I am newbie and wanted to say hello :) and also tap into the wealth of knowledge and expertise in this forum.

I purchased an a220d for my wife and have noticed over 31 chips on the bonnet. On closer inspection of the front bumper there appears to be a colour difference and interestingly not many chips suggesting it is resprayed.

the car does have slightly higher mileage suggesting it has been driven on the motorway a lot hence consistent with the chips.

my question is should the car have been sold to me like this with so many chips .. what I find intriguing is that Mercedes tried to sell my star guard which I declined. Imagine for a second I had bought star guard then surely the bonnet would of had to be repaired before star guard was applied right?

what's your thoughts ?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

If you didn’t query the damage before purchase then it’s a bit more difficult now. Mercedes may well say they priced the car taking into account the mileage and stone chips. Best thing is to go and talk to them and see what they say.

OP
K

Khalid79m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 220d
Hello and welcome

If you didn’t query the damage before purchase then it’s a bit more difficult now. Mercedes may well say they priced the car taking into account the mileage and stone chips. Best thing is to go and talk to them and see what they say.
I didn't inspect the car due to it being over 200 miles away.. I have 14 days to return it but don't want to .. we like the car .. again it would be the dealers responsibility to notify the purchaser of issues like this. It is very unethical behaviour in my opinion

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Hello and welcome

As Blobcat said contact the dealer and chat to them about it ;)

OP
K

Khalid79m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 220d
I am in discussion and sent photo evidence. Thank you

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI Sport S211 2009, CLS320cdi Sport C219 2006, CLK320 Cab W209 2005
Hi and welcome under distance selling rules you should have been notified of all and any faults inc bodywork because photos do not show many cosmetic issues well, that said, you did not say what price you paid and this could be well under book to move a high miles company car trade-in, it is very unusual for an MB dealer to offer up below par trade-ins, (they have much bigger fish to fry) your legal recourse is to return the car for a full refund, within 14 days, no matter how many miles you have now driven it (which makes it a very cheep hire car) but if the deal has taken the condition into account you may not want to part with it, a decision based on expectation versus price will need to be made by you, that is how the law stands but I find talking to people initially without getting into any of the legal stuff often yields best results, good luck with this and hope it ends well

OP
K

Khalid79m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 220d
Hi and welcome under distance selling rules you should have been notified of all and any faults inc bodywork because photos do not show many cosmetic issues well, that said, you did not say what price you paid and this could be well under book to move a high miles company car trade-in, it is very unusual for an MB dealer to offer up below par trade-ins, (they have much bigger fish to fry) your legal recourse is to return the car for a full refund, within 14 days, no matter how many miles you have now driven it (which makes it a very cheep hire car) but if the deal has taken the condition into account you may not want to part with it, a decision based on expectation versus price will need to be made by you, that is how the law stands but I find talking to people initially without getting into any of the legal stuff often yields best results, good luck with this and hope it ends well
Thankyou we are trying this approach .. we have booked into a Mercedes approved garage for a price to repair and the dealership have asked to forward that on. I agree we should have been notified of the faults I personally feel c31+ chips on the bonnet are excessive and should have been resolved before sale. I will keep you guys posted of the outcome in case it helps others who buy cars not locally.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
It still amazes me that people are prepared to send a load of money to someone they don't know for a car they haven't seen. Not only applies to cars either.

OP
K

Khalid79m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 220d
It still amazes me that people are prepared to send a load of money to someone they don't know for a car they haven't seen. Not only applies to cars either.
Well if you say a deposit of £500 and 14 days guarantee is a bad deal then I don't know what a good deal is. As they are a main dealer 2 year old car I would expect it to be in reasonably good nick. Like I said the car is excellent just the bonnet makes it less desirable.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Ideally you should have asked for detailed pics before comitting to the purchase, there is nothing saying the car was perfect and the damage occured in your ownership.
If was a dealer owned run around car then it would have been hammered by employees or given as a courtey car.
Good luck regardles and let us know how you get on, MB dealers can be good with "new" used purchases.

OP
K

Khalid79m

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Class 220d
Ideally you should have asked for detailed pics before comitting to the purchase, there is nothing saying the car was perfect and the damage occured in your ownership.
If was a dealer owned run around car then it would have been hammered by employees or given as a courtey car.
Good luck regardles and let us know how you get on, MB dealers can be good with "new" used purchases.
You live and you learn worst case I hand the keys back.. but as I dealer 31 plus chips is definitely not acceptable :) .. they seem to be okay so fare fingers crossed don't want to the let the Mrs down :)

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is 2021 Peter and we have not been allowed to look at cars at a dealer for a year, modern distance selling laws take this into account so its an absolute no-brainer, in fact if you need a free hire car for two weeks, order what you like, have it delivered to your door, do as many miles as you like and ask for return and refund of deposit on 13th day, they collect, you get every penny back and Euro Car lose two weeks hire fees, all dealers have to abide by these laws so Joe Public has never had it so good, try before you buy fela, no other product of this value offers it ;)

Mr Hatt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You live and you learn worst case I hand the keys back.. but as I dealer 31 plus chips is definitely not acceptable :) .. they seem to be okay so fare fingers crossed don't want to the let the Mrs down :)
Happy wife, happy life my friend

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
This is 2021 Peter and we have not been allowed to look at cars at a dealer for a year, modern distance selling laws take this into account so its an absolute no-brainer, in fact if you need a free hire car for two weeks, order what you like, have it delivered to your door, do as many miles as you like and ask for return and refund of deposit on 13th day, they collect, you get every penny back and Euro Car lose two weeks hire fees, all dealers have to abide by these laws so Joe Public has never had it so good, try before you buy fela, no other product of this value offers it ;)
Yep I suspect the 2 weeks free car hire will be popular. It will be interesting to see how long these type of offers actually last.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom