Hi, new here, & have taken a gamble

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1988 300 CE
Hi, I am picking up a 1988 300CE tomorrow which I agreed purchased last week. The problem is it is showing no oil pressure, and I have to drive it 130 miles home! Hows that for for sensible. On the bright side the guy I'm buying it off (who seems a straight bloke) says it has been like that for a while, and still runs perfectly, I took it for a 20 min test drive, and all was well ( no rumbles, knocking or tapping) So, I'm hoping it is a duff sensor, or broken connection to the pressure switch. My question is, where is the pressure switch (workshop manual ordered but not yet here), and which fuse is it on, and where are the fuses? Cheers

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
the switch is on the oil filter housing at the n/s/r of the engine block. the wiring goes straight to the cluster so probably not a fuse problem, could be a broken wire. to test unplug, then short to earth and check the gague each time should go up (when earthed if i remember correctly). i`m sure pressure is probably fine, i think :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
the switch is on the oil filter housing at the n/s/r of the engine block. the wiring goes straight to the cluster so probably not a fuse problem, could be a broken wire. to test unplug, then short to earth and check the gague each time should go up (when earthed if i remember correctly). i`m sure pressure is probably fine, i think :)

Or the sensor,,and yes it will go up when grounded

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1988 300 CE
Thanks guys, will try when it stops raining, but drove home like a dream, 160 miles in pouring rain, luv it already.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They were ahead of their time without doubt, re the driving qualities

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1988 300 CE
just had a play, and it works the other way around, when disconnected from the switch the gauge reads 3, is this right?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
These sensors have a lower resistance when hot,,and this shows that the sensor needs to be replaced

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
These sensors have a lower resistance when hot,,and this shows that the sensor needs to be replaced

lower resistance when pressure rises surely? not a temp related sensor.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Sorry, I get so used to dealing with temp senders :D:D

wakey wakey Malcolm! just because i didnt get chance to get on here last night, doesnt mean you can let your usually impeccably high standards start to slip! 40k posts or not! :lol::lol::lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
wakey wakey Malcolm! just because i didnt get chance to get on here last night, doesnt mean you can let your usually impeccably high standards start to slip! 40k posts or not! :lol::lol::lol:

I am trying,,all sensors are high resistance under non operating conditions,,its even hard to write that tonight

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I am trying,,all sensors are high resistance under non operating conditions,,its even hard to write that tonight

hope your not coming down with something!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1988 300 CE
will get it off tomorrow as I want to renew oil filter at same time which should give me better access. Any ideas where to get replacement from? Euro car parts don't do them, pressume Mercedes will want a fortune, though there is a second hand one on ebay that might be worth a try.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They are around £40 off the top of my head

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
will get it off tomorrow as I want to renew oil filter at same time which should give me better access. Any ideas where to get replacement from? Euro car parts don't do them, pressume Mercedes will want a fortune, though there is a second hand one on ebay that might be worth a try.

Do not dismiss Merc parts as expensive - you will often be pleasantly surprised.

Use the phone on Inchcape site and give your full VIN to the parts person and he will give you the price and discount and post it out to home or work place.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE

Have you tried GSF? www.gsfcarparts.com

Generally good, but having suggested them, I have this caveat. I bought a 3-pin fan switch from them for my 230CE. This is supposed to activate the cooling fan and the dash temp gauge. It did the first but not the second. As this was the second non MB switch I had tried (first being supplied by a mechanic friend), I decided not to try another GSF but went straight for an MB part. Cost about the same (£20) and it worked. Every other part I've had from them has been fine, and good value.

Last edited:

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Do not dismiss Merc parts as expensive - you will often be pleasantly surprised.

Use the phone on Inchcape site and give your full VIN to the parts person and he will give you the price and discount and post it out to home or work place.

David, do you know what their average delivery time for online orders is please? I've tried ringing and emailing, but no response.

I've recently (and no doubt belatedly) discovered the joys of using the Inchcape site and the Russian site in tandem. For me, searching Inchcape by item description often does not yield any results. However, the Russian site has pictures of parts and their corresponding part numbers. So now, when I need the more obscure items, such as panel clips, etc I type their part number into the Inchcape search engine and they always come up. The discount is also shown. All I need now is for Inchcape to actually pick up the phone...!

Last edited:

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
I am surprised Inchape not answering the phone - perhaps their good reputation has surpassed their manpower level.

In stock items normally posted in couple of days.

Test out the online facility directly on a simple part without using the phone, and see how it works.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom