1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi potential ML270 owner

Discussion in 'MBO, our Mercedes club' started by chawksey, Nov 15, 2012.

1. chawksey

chawksey Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML270 CDI
    Hello friendly people, im after some advice for buying a used 02 plate ML270 cdi, its got 135k on it but fsh, is there anything major i should be looking out for?? i know its kind of greman ish i have owned a bmw x5 previous and know they are built well.

any advice you super people have would be much appreciated

Ta Muchly

2. Jdokal

Jdokal Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Mercedes
    Ask if the inlet manifold has been changed.

There is a lot which could go wrong with the ML, however each ML is different and could present different problems.

A search on here will pull up a lot of items.

3. w44nty

w44nty Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML 270CDI 2002,C180 Kompressor
    Do not expect high performance as it is a work horse,it will pull a house down,it tows my 2 ton caravan with ease.

Saying that it is a lovely ride,nice elevated driving position,all the toys etc,full leather.

As for problems,only ones I have had is,injectors with needed replacing and handbrake needed new shoes,other than the normal running costs all been ok to date

Look out for rust around wheel arches,rear number plate and front grill area,unfortunately they are prone to rust in these places,had mine all done by a family member, so cost was small.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  4. tony jr

tony jr Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GL320 X164 2007
    The m-class was revised and updated in 2002 some of the early bugs were fixed and improvements made - Is this the face lift version? I would imagine that at 135K most of the major problems will have already happened and been fixed! Most people seem to have problems with the inlet manifold around the 100K mark. This is a sort of love hate car that you will enjoy have problems with but don't really want to part with. If you search for w163 on this forum you will find posts about most of the problems with this car. I would take the engine cover off and look for signs of a leaking injector. Take it for a test drive and make sure the gear changes are smooth and no flaring (sudden increase in revs) occurs particularly when changing between 3 and 4th - sign of valve body problem.