Hi-vis in France

stuartmac

Reaction score
Hi All,

Orf to France at the crack of dawn for a couple of weeks and have a slightly panicky question. I know you're required to carry a hi-vis jacket or waistcoat; however, is one each required for everyone in the car, or is just one enough to satisfy their regs.?

Regards,

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
They're cheap as chips get everybody one..

antijam

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 SLK320
This document specifies the regulations.

The legal requirement is for a minimum of one high-vis jacket (which must be in the car, not in the boot) and they recommend that you carry at least two.

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
May be too late ..... but you need one per passenger .... and they must be kept in the cabin, and not the boot .............. no big deal ............ just a bit of common .......... although, the whole world could soon be wearing hi vis, for some reason or another ............... will we be able to see each other ??

Splatt

Reaction score
What amuses me is the workmen in the road work gangs. Their high vis. jackets are years old and covered in grease and tar, about as high vis as a black cat in a coal hole. They pass a law to make them wear the jacket but don`t worry if it`s unfit for purpose.

psmart

Reaction score
In Germany/Austria you need one per person and it can be quite easy to migrate over borders in Europe without knowing (Benelux, Alsace etc).

In France, it used to be illegal to carry spare fuel, but in Germany its illegal to break down on a motorway due to lack of fuel (hence you have to carry spare). Europe.... great place, everywhere has different rules!!!

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
the warning triangle is a great one as we in the uk are NOT to use one on the motorway ???
Isnt there something about having to have spare bulbs for france too ???

hairyg

Reaction score
Website
www.vegetarian-and-low-calorie-recipes.com
Your Mercedes
R129 (1994) SL320
I keep two hi-vis jackets in the centre console, along with a spare set of bulbs and a spare pair of glasses. I also have a second warning triangle in the boot.

My main petrol tank is also my reserve as I run on LPG most of the time so I am covered for most of the EU countries.

The cost is minimal, even if you wait until you are on the ferry to buy what you need, so it makes sense to have everything.

I've never had to use any of them YET, neither have I ever been asked to show them, although I have been stopped at gun-point in France by their Customs.

A

Ashley H

You only need 1 x hi-vis and, as already written, it must be in the car not the boot (i.e. you must be able to put it on BEFORE you get out of the vehicle...)

You also need a full set of lamps and make sure you have all your documentation, including a letter of authorisation from your employer/leasing company if it's not your own car (that's the easy one to forget!)

UK insurance now covers you for European motoring (you probably should tell them first) but your breakdown cover probably doesn't - I was in France recently and used BreakdownDirect.co.uk which was £48 for a month. The service (provided by Axa from the UK) was excellent when I needed help.

Mrtibbs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 Estate 2005
In Germany/Austria you need one per person and it can be quite easy to migrate over borders in Europe without knowing (Benelux, Alsace etc).

In France, it used to be illegal to carry spare fuel, but in Germany its illegal to break down on a motorway due to lack of fuel (hence you have to carry spare). Europe.... great place, everywhere has different rules!!!
Hi
I thought it was "one set of rules, interpreted in a hundred different ways" :shock::lol::lol::lol:

Keith

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
if you have the new style euro number plates with the blue GB bit on the side, then no. if your plates are just the normal ones without the blue strip and the GB symbol, then yes, you are supposed to have a GB sticker

Top Bottom