Hidden AMG - s124 how can i be sure?

Red280

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had my S124 for five or so years now and love it to bits. When I first got it it came totally un- badged. In the first month of having it, I came back to it in the car park and saw someone poking about. Turns out he was an enthusiast who just loved them, he told me it was an E36 and rare but I said I bought from a reputable dealer as an E320. He assured me it was an E36 but that meant nothing to me at the time and I just guessed he was wrong. I have no idea what made him think that, it looks like an E320. I thought no more of it. I bought an E320 badge and put it on the back.

I appreciate her age so do not push her, never any need to either power wise and only once have I pushed my foot into the carpet. The car took off with such gusto, I was left surprised and baffled. I ride a sports bike so I am used to acceleration and this still massively surprised me. I just guessed E320s were stupidly rapid. It is also a bit louder than I thought it would be. Not exhaust just engine and induction roar.

Final thing is when I look it up with Mercedes Benz official Vin check it does come up as an E36. I have double checked the Vin and I have entered it correctly. It also shows the correct paint and leather colour codes.

Is there a way to be totally sure whether it is an E36 or not given it was totally de badged when I got it?

Many thanks,

Ben.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Find the engine number. That will be definitive.

OP
R

Red280

Reaction score
ah OK , thanks, is there a list I can compare it to ?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
So a stranger says it's an E36 and this is confirmed by MB...what more do you need?

You got a bargain because the dealer didn't know it's provenance.

What is the VIN?

Submariner1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2009 5.5
Well I would find that out pretty dam quick .. if you insured it as an E320 ... then you are driving uninsured!
Insuring the wrong car! Which has a 20% power boost would give the insurers every right to walk away.
What does the V5 say??

Plus only 11 were ever imported into the UK, and apparrently are sought after Classics, so your £2,000 car might be worth £32,000 to £46,000 ...

I assume it would have AMG on the engne? .. but possibly not??

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Values are not as above...less than £10k.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
The air intake pipe running across the top of the engine should say 3.6, but could easily have been replaced with a standard one. Likewise the exhaust tips should say AMG. The vin and engine number's should be the clue though.

I'll buy your e320 off you

OP
R

Red280

Reaction score
So a stranger says it's an E36 and this is confirmed by MB...what more do you need?

You got a bargain because the dealer didn't know it's provenance.

What is the VIN?

I will ping it to you .. rather not post it in public.

OP
R

Red280

Reaction score
Well I would find that out pretty dam quick .. if you insured it as an E320 ... then you are driving uninsured!
Insuring the wrong car! Which has a 20% power boost would give the insurers every right to walk away.
What does the V5 say??

Plus only 11 were ever imported into the UK, and apparrently are sought after Classics, so your £2,000 car might be worth £32,000 to £46,000 ...

I assume it would have AMG on the engne? .. but possibly not??

No there is nothing on the engine. There was a mark on the slam panel as if there had been something there before but I cleaned all that up when I got it. Yes the insurance issue is what went straight through my head! Hence trying to be sure. It is in storeage atm but was going to bring it back out. I was offered £10,000 for mine but said no a couple of years back. Its on 150,000 odd miles now though even though I have kept it serviced with a MB main dealer so probably a lower end value car.

OP
R

Red280

Reaction score
The air intake pipe running across the top of the engine should say 3.6, but could easily have been replaced with a standard one. Likewise the exhaust tips should say AMG. The vin and engine number's should be the clue though.

I'll buy your e320 off you

Yes, there is nothing like that on the car. Only official thing is MB mercedes me identifying it as an E36 from its chassis number, which reminded me about the guy five years ago. Thought I had better be sure for insurance reasons. Thanks but it is not for sale. I said no to a genuine £10K offer a while back.

Sasha94

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 CLK55 AMG
I have no idea about Merc’s of that age but I’d be interested to hear the outcome. I’ve seen a genuine E36 and it does have some unique touches the 320 doesn’t have but I suppose the parts could have been replaced with standard parts. Correct me if I’m wrong, but weren’t they taken off the production line and finished elsewhere at this time? I believe mine, for example, was built on the production line with other, non AMG Merc’s.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
amg back then wasn't an official part of MB IIRC so the usual 'signs' like tailpipes may not be there. do have the vin checked. if its a genuine E36, its a RARE car, on a 124 chassis.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Ive seen and worked on a few E36AMG's and you know about it if you have one. The E36 was an affiliated project so you get the whole AMG works like you would any other AMG. On the cluster you will have a higher speed and AMG decals, exhaust, engine, bodykit and interior all woven with AMG lines.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
About 15 years ago a friend of mine bought a used VW Passat, top spec from a VW dealer.
About a year later he realised his was not the top spec one he thought he had bought. The big giveaway was the top spec was a 6 speed & his was only a 5 speed.
VW eventually agreed they had registered it incorrectly when it was new. A cash compensation was made.

OP
R

Red280

Reaction score
thanks for all your input, i think I have identified that it is an E320 , there must be a mistake on the system. My two reasons are, it has the five speed auto box on it and it looks like AMG always used the more trusted 4 speed. Also despite finding other examples that were completely devoid of any detailing of AMG even though they were, they all seem to have the option (950) I think that said something like AMG mechanicals which I also do not have. My last thing is to look at the top of the ECU when I have worked out where it is. If that has no reference to AMG then it must just be a mistake with the MercedesME system. At least I am not going to be wrong on the insurance which was my worry and reason for investigating. Many thanks again!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Look here:
stamping.jpg

If it is an AMG it will have an AMG stamping in the block. You may need to clean any crud off first to see it.

OP
R

Red280

Reaction score
Thanks, I will take it to a mate with a ramp. I am guessing the 5 speed auto and no option 950 means it is not though on the original sales invoice in Vehicle type it says 320TE / E36. I am still thinking not but a look on the engine and the ecu should confirm. Thanks for the info LostKiwi.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom