High level brake light - W140 (1998)

SirIvor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S Class LWB Limousine 1998
I am slowly going insane trying to obtain a replacement bulb for my 1998 S Class - it's a small Osram H27W 12volt 21 watt, but has off-set pins.

No-one that I have tried appear to stock this bulb (even those that advertise "All Merc bulbs available").

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might lay my hands on one please?

Any info would be much appreciated.

(My first post, BTW!!)

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
I am slowly going insane trying to obtain a replacement bulb for my 1998 S Class - it's a small Osram H27W 12volt 21 watt, but has off-set pins.

No-one that I have tried appear to stock this bulb (even those that advertise "All Merc bulbs available").

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might lay my hands on one please?

Any info would be much appreciated.

(My first post, BTW!!)

Welcome to the Forum.

Try here:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/

Ooops - just had a look - they don't have any either. Hang on, I'll have a scoot around.

Here you go:

http://carbulbs.com/product-list.php?Make=85&Model=1162&Year=1998&Position=23

Hope this is the one - please let us know.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome.

Does the bulb have a metal cap where it plugs in, or is it all glass

Part number from MB

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Alternatively pop into a dealer, will probably cost less than £1. I go there for W210 sidelight bulbs.

OP
S

SirIvor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks JEZ.M270, but the bulb that Carbulbs offer is the same configuration as the standard rear brake bulbs, which is the wrong type.

Television, the original bulb does have a metal end, it is approx 1cm in diameter with the glass only slightly larger - the numbers on the original are Osram H27W 12V 21W - and just to confound, the bulb has off-set pins (they're set at 10 to 2, instead of quarter to three, looking end on - does that make sense??).

Sadly, brandwooddixon, my nearest Merc dealer is quite some distance away ~ but it looks as though I shall eventually have to pack a picnic hamper and set off in their direction.

My thanks to you all, anyway.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only bulb that I know of with off set pins is the stop and tail bulbs. It must be a twin filament bulb with 2 contacts on the end, and these are just standard lamps that can only be inserted one way around

OP
S

SirIvor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The only bulb that I know of with off set pins is the stop and tail bulbs. It must be a twin filament bulb with 2 contacts on the end, and these are just standard lamps that can only be inserted one way around

No, it's definately a single filament buld - that's the most frustrating part, no reason for it to be polarised, and no-one seems to have anything like it: it's a very small diameter bulb indeed (c 1cm).

Incidentally, I don't suppose that my S being a LWB Limo variety would make any difference (I'm clutchung at straws here!).

Anyway - I think that I will try to modify a wire-ended 12v halo to take the original's place.

My thanks to you all for your interest and suggestions,

Ivor

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have filed off one pin before now not all the way down,just enough to keep it tight in the socket

Top Bottom