Ho hum, caught out again! (Emissions)

Razoo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 W211 E320 CDi Saloon
One thing I liked about the E320 CDi (3.2 litre straight-six) was its low emissions at 183g/km, putting it in the same VED band as my 1.8 Ford Focus.

When I bought my 2004 E320 CDi Avantgarde a few months ago, I didn't think to check the price on the tax disc. If I had done, I might have noticed the car was in a higher VED band than expected (VED renewal has just cost me £210, rather than £170).

Can anyone tell me the relationship between CO (Carbon Monoxide) emissions and CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) emissions?

The emissions for my E320 are:
CO2 194g/km.
CO 0.037g/km.
(figures taken from the V5C Registration Certificate).​

I've looked up my Merc on the VCA database, and it seems to fall across two tables.

The first table (VED Band E, £170 - which is the one I expected my car to be in) is for:
MB E-Class (W211) Saloon E320 CDi (205 & 225 Tyres) Transmission A5.
This table gives the emissions as:

CO2 183g/km
CO 0.037g/km​

The second table (VED Band F, £210) is for:
MB E-Class (W211) Saloon E320 CDi no DPF (225 Tyres at rear) Transmission A7.
This table gives the emissions as:

CO2 194g/km.
CO 0.079g/km.​

So my CO2 matches the second table, and my CO matches the first table. And of course, my transmission is A5, not A7. If my car did have the A7 transmission, then it would presumably also have the 3.0 litre V6 engine.

Does the rear tyre size affect the CO2, but not the CO?

My E320 has factory fitted 17 inch wheels and 245 tyres. On the face of it, it seems because of the wider rear tyres I am paying an extra £40 VED per year for a more uncomfortable ride :(

Razoo

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Can anyone tell me the relationship between CO (Carbon Monoxide) emissions and CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) emissions?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was no relationship. They are different products of combustion and will depend on the constituents of the fuel, fuel quality, completeness of combustion (varies with engine temperature).

So, whilst there are data for both, and limits in the MOT, they may vary independently.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom